Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Contract Situation

Post by StandUp »

solidarity wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:12 pm
StandUp wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:14 pm I’m not sure if I’d consider Chris Henry a bit part player but I get your point and it’s correct. Hopefully the structures are in place now to spot the talent at an early age and bring them through.
I still believe more could be done to encourage young GAA players to join rugby clubs and play through the winter. That’s a big demographic that we should be making more of like the other three provinces do.
I agree but how do we attract GAA players when the schools that promote GAA seem to be more or less hostile to other sports, especially rugby. I get it; our gain would be their loss and, of course, there are 'other issues' as well.
That situation is changing now. There are many schools who wouldn’t have dreamt of playing rugby twenty years ago but now have their own teams.
Also there doesn’t have to be a loss as GAA is generally played in the summer months. The schools do play games over the winter but the kids aren’t limited to one game or the other.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

StandUp wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:52 pm
StandUp wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:14 pm I’m not sure if I’d consider Chris Henry a bit part player but I get your point and it’s correct. Hopefully the structures are in place now to spot the talent at an early age and bring them through.
I still believe more could be done to encourage young GAA players to join rugby clubs and play through the winter. That’s a big demographic that we should be making more of like the other three provinces do.
I agree but how do we attract GAA players when the schools that promote GAA seem to be more or less hostile to other sports, especially rugby. I get it; our gain would be their loss and, of course, there are 'other issues' as well.
That situation is changing now. There are many schools who wouldn’t have dreamt of playing rugby twenty years ago but now have their own teams.
Also there doesn’t have to be a loss as GAA is generally played in the summer months. The schools do play games over the winter but the kids aren’t limited to one game or the other.
Good news. Maybe some things can change in this place after all.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

solidarity wrote:
The crunch will come when good players are in demand for both games.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/offaly-u14-foo ... cer-506000
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

jean valjean wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:36 pm
solidarity wrote:

Correct. Hopefully when the youngsters get a taste of rugby, they will give the other sports the elbow.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Many of the clubs can take credit for this, Instonians and Lisburn RFC in particular have engaged with non traditional rugby schools and GAA clubs with great results. Instonians have even invested in new pitch at Breda Academy, much of this goes under the radar as it doesnt have an Ulster badge on it, which is immensely frustrating
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

nonplussed wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:07 pm

Many of the clubs can take credit for this, Instonians and Lisburn RFC in particular have engaged with non traditional rugby schools and GAA clubs with great results. Instonians have even invested in new pitch at Breda Academy, much of this goes under the radar as it doesnt have an Ulster badge on it, which is immensely frustrating
Very true nonplussed, which is why I think there is a lot more that can be done.
The important thing is the barriers are coming down and things are moving forward but that needs to be accelerated.
The only way is up. 🗼
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

jean valjean wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:36 pm The crunch will come when good players are in demand for both games.

Not much has changed from the days when Liam Brady was expelled from his school for missing a school GAA training session as he was playing in a soccer schoolboy international.

Let's hope that's an isolated incident. To be fair will only push kids away from GAA.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

StandUp wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:49 pm
jean valjean wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:36 pm
solidarity wrote:

Correct. Hopefully when the youngsters get a taste of rugby, they will give the other sports the elbow.
Or when they realise they can get paid for playing rugby
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

:lol: yeah that too
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Anyone know who the newish scrum analyst is? He's been up and down the touchline at the last 4/5 home games taking video recordings.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Anyone know who the newish scrum analyst is? He's been up and down the touchline at the last 4/5 home games taking video recordings.
Sounds like a dream job for some on here. Getting to video and savour all the delicious scrum-time minutes eating up the clock like that. Amazing stuff.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
TheUlsterTruth
Novice

Post by TheUlsterTruth »

First post from new member who has been lurking for a while.

My mates are of the opinion that we should not renew our head coach's contract...whilst he has sorted the line out, maul and scrum he has been deeply conservative on player selection and has got the tactics wrong in a number of big matches...continuing to kick away possession against a 14 man Munster being one example...the bigger the match the more conservative he gets

I would go along with the theory that he is using the Ulster job as a stepping stone to a head coach job in the Premiership...2nd best team in Ireland (up until last Friday), semi finals in the URC and glorious defeat in Europe should be enough to secure a good gig in England...he thinks the best way to achieve that is with experienced pros from Leinster etc

has dan been any good at developing young talent?...doak, hume, Lowry, McIlroy only got games because of injury to Addison, Marshall and Stockdale and Cooney...that turned out ok!...now we have some depth

hows our young forward development going?...where are Mc Cann, Issy, Reid and Tom Stewart?...there's a future spine of a team right there...on Friday Munster had Kendellen Josh Wycherly and Ahearne playing...all younger than Reid, Mc Cann and Issy...meanwhile we are flogging Nick, Al and Marty etc

we lost and got out fought by Munster B in the second biggest match of the season and guess who we are going to pick against Edinburgh???
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Excellent.

I’ve been waiting patiently since Friday for the ‘Dan’s brad pitt, let’s not renew his contract’ post.

Even if it is by proxy.

Stewart is injured, Reid was playing for Banbidge in the AIL 1B relegation playoff, Issy wasn’t playing for ‘Hinch in their relegation play off but is a rugby rookie coming off a long-term injury and McCann was in the gym.

Are you, or your mates, saying that they should have been playing in our second biggest game of the season?

Munster have indeed got a good crop of young forwards, many of whom were only involved because Snyman, POM, Kilcoyne, Beirne and Coombes were injured so I’m not sure what your point is.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Oh and welcome to the forum obvs.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Sure, Dan will pick from the players available. That will probably include DV and the Much Better Rea. I trust that the HIA/RtP Protocols will be passed for Billy Burns.

Your mates acknowledge lots of good things Dan has done (I'd say that given his integrity Dan will also point to other's efforts there too), but Dan is clearly responsible for (a) at least 15 years of failure to deal with a structural weakness in Ulster youth development and (b) the strong IRFU influence/control of player signature/payment budgets and rules around NIQs etc. Still, no different to Man U fans blaming Rangnick's tactical choices for the Glazer's strategic failures....

Your mates mention Munster. With a fairly universally vilified coach, who only picked those young players for the HC match v Wasps as his real choices were marooned in SA due to COVID or injured, and who has not moved the Munster playing style on one iota in his time, nor won any trophies. In fact were recently outclassed at home to Leinster, and I would contend will end up this season with zero again. I recall their recent issues in finding a suitable coach. In fact, if there's a coach who sees an Irish pathway to a nice Premiership berth, I would propose Graham Rowntree long before Dan McF.

All that to one side, let's say Dan and Ulster decide to go their separate ways in June 2023; who would your mates want as coach ? It wouldn't seem much of an assumption to believe that your mates would not see Dan Soper as suitable, but I'd be very keen to know their answer when you ask them. So, having identified what they see as issues, over to your mates to propose a solution to the problem. Oh, and I'd also be reasonably confident that Scott Robertson probably has higher ambitions than Ulster......

Btw, welcome to the Forum.