Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Contract Situation

Post by Bart S »

So Munster give guys a chance when POM, Beirne and Coombes are out and that's great, but if ulster pick young guys then it's only because of injuries? :scratch:
Certainly in the backs I am not sure what more youth you wanted to see this season. Cooney has been poor the past couple of weeks but also has a lot of credit in the bank, even from this season he was for example key to the win in Clermont. Doak is still young and is getting good exposure and pushing Cooney hard. Stickdale and Addison are hardly veterans to be tossing aside for youth in the big games, never mind their quality.
Izzy has been injured most of the season and Reid is developing but clearly needs to develop his scrummaging more. I was banging the Marcus is better than Matty drum for months before things changed so I do agree in that one, but overall I'd say he is giving youth a chance.. when it us physically ready. Up to them then to show they are better than the incumbent.

As for Dan he has shown plenty of commitment to Ulster. He answered a question honestly and is not a born and bred ulsterman. Maybe at the end of next season a change may be best for both parties to keep things fresh but he has done enough to want to keep him right now. No question about that for me..
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I wonder what his mates will come back with
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
TheUlsterTruth
Novice

Post by TheUlsterTruth »

is our "set of backs the envy of most, if not every side in Europe"?...they're decent, maybe even very good, mostly internationals, but the envy of Europe?

two or three would probably get very decent contracts in Europe...more than they earn at Ulster I would bet

if waiting for injuries is the development plan for younger players then I'm simply saying that doesn't seem like a very good plan

people keep mentioning Marcus...why wasn't he played after scoring against Leinster?

meanwhile players like nick, Marty, Al, Rob are getting flogged...and what happens when Ulster get to the business end of the season?
TheUlsterTruth
Novice

Post by TheUlsterTruth »

by the way...whats all the slagging of my mates about?

you never know...you might be surprised...maybe even intrigued
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

TheUlsterTruth wrote:is our "set of backs the envy of most, if not every side in Europe"?...they're decent, maybe even very good, mostly internationals, but the envy of Europe?

two or three would probably get very decent contracts in Europe...more than they earn at Ulster I would bet

if waiting for injuries is the development plan for younger players then I'm simply saying that doesn't seem like a very good plan

people keep mentioning Marcus...why wasn't he played after scoring against Leinster?

meanwhile players like nick, Marty, Al, Rob are getting flogged...and what happens when Ulster get to the business end of the season?
Marcus’s performances have completely cooled over the last month or so. Think he’s been actually disappointing after a really good run in the side.

Nick hasn’t been the same since DV came in. He’s a much better 8 than on the flank.

I don’t think it is waiting for injuries being the development plan. Injuries give guys opportunities none the less.

We don’t have enough top end players in the pack.

I have high hopes for Reid, Stewart and Mccann but they have been injured as well.

When it comes to any coach I generally think they have a lifespan of about 4-5 years before they need to move on or change things around them. All blacks use to change their roles after a cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:22 pm
TheUlsterTruth wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:59 pm Thanks for the welcome...delighted to have rewarded your patience

I thought my point was reasonably clear...Dan is a very conservative coach who isn't very good at developing young players

who would we replace him with?...I will consult with my mates but I think I know what they will say..."his contract is up next year, he's Irish and he's in South Africa
I gave you a chance to take a breath but…

To state that Dan isn’t very good at developing young players when we have a youthful set of backs (now internationals in several cases) that is the envy of most, if not every, side in Europe is simply ludicrous.
Agreed. This is one area where Dan has been head and shoulders better that previous head coaches.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Spot on KOTH. Lowry was barely 20 when he made his european debut, Doak around the same and the likes if McIlroy and Stewart Moore gave started big games this season. Moxham also. Guys like luke naturally and gilroy would gave started recently if younger players weren't being given a chance.

Ulster Truth - do you know Izzy has been injured most of this season and McCann has also had issues?

On Marcus I'd say that this is his first full season, he has played a lot and been asked to battle some pretty tough opposition. A fit and firing Jordi plus the forgotten man Reidy could have helped to share the burden but that hasn't happened. The fixture list was great in terms if a number of easier games to start but most games since December have needed the strongest team to compete.

Ulster Truth - which youngster should we be playing ahead of Marty, given Reid is on the other side? And which of the recent games would have picked the youngsters in?
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

TheUlsterTruth wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:56 am by the way...whats all the slagging of my mates about?

you never know...you might be surprised...maybe even intrigued
Well, you're the one who introduced their thoughts..... It's a little unclear whether you and your mates are one and the same e.g. you've stated you like Noel McNamara, but your mates have not come back with any comments so to date the contention that you and they are one and the same seems to be borne out by the evidence. KotH has responded to your view of McN, and I've yet to see any response to those. Apart from what actually seem to be specific points around player selections.

To date, you've raised some really interesting points, and generated a very worthwhile discussion around the choices and decisions that a coach has to make week to week and where those fit within a wider club operational and financial strategy. So far, you and your mates have focused on the outcomes without generating any insight into how the inputs and process are altered to improve those outputs and outcomes. I really do look forward to your mates surprising me with something more than 'we need a new manager' or 'I'd pick X over Y' style comments.

A few questions for you (and your mates): what would their 'young player development programme' look like ? What objective criteria would you (and your mates) use to pick one young player over any other Ulster player in that position ? If you were the coach, and you sat down with say, David McCann, what exactly would be be asking him to do to replace either of the two number 8's Ulster currently have ? How many would you have on this programme ? Who would fund it ? Where would those young players play so they can demonstrate that they're achieving these objectives ?

Looking at some of the other comments, I'd absolutely love to have Jamie Joseph - talk about some exciting and dynamic rugby. With risks - as Ireland showed this November. The challenge is to find the bank with enough money. That's one of Ulster (and the game itself) fundamental issues and challenges.
TheUlsterTruth
Novice

Post by TheUlsterTruth »

did I ever say "we need a new manager"

if I was a head coach or forwards coach I wouldn't be asking the player what he needs to do to replace the current player I would be telling him what he needs to do, that he needs to be better than the existing player in every facet of the game...carries, meters gained from carries, tackle count, dominant tackles, offloads, passing, line out work, maul work, line out steals, low penalty count, turnovers etc

how's that measured?...good question...why don't you have a go at answering yourself
TheUlsterTruth
Novice

Post by TheUlsterTruth »

forgot the biggest one of the lot...game intelligence
ulster32
Novice

Post by ulster32 »

Reid has been playing fairly regularly for banbridge..

McCann apparently wasn't taken to South Africa and told to go and play AIL and work on his carrying. Allegedly has has little interest in doing so.... which would suggest he believes his own hype which hasn't really come to fruition.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

are we sure Noel McNamara was the one reference, John McFarland is also there and hails from this parish. I also wouldnt rule Scott Robertson out from a return to Ulster
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Robertson is after the All black job.

Not sure McCann has any right to believe any hype. Carrying and work rate in defensive rucks are hos biggest weakness for me.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

TheUlsterTruth wrote:forgot the biggest one of the lot...game intelligence
Wiehahn Herbst is your man for game.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Hehe that made me chuckle. Now colleagues are looking at me like I’m an imbecile for laughing at myself. Nothing new there I suppose. 🙄