Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Contract Situation

Post by Neill_M »

RuGall wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:57 pm So out of the only two NIQ players in the squad one of them is Sam Carter. Quite worrying to be honest
3 NIQs for season 22/23 (Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen, Sam Carter, Duane Vermeulen), 2 this season.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

We’ll have the big lad from France and Izzy back next season. Carter will be even more of a waste of NIQ spot.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

Is the rule still that we can have four NIQ players? We have three. So if we need to make an emergency signing, say in an injury crisis, we can sign someone from anywhere and don't need to worry about Irish qualification. That looks like sensible squad management to me.

What did Sam Carter do to StandUp?
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

Gilroy & Jones got new contracts? Weren’t they on one year contracts.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

launish116 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:39 pm Gilroy & Jones got new contracts? Weren’t they on one year contracts.
Both got deals till summer 2023.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

paddybrown wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:19 pm Is the rule still that we can have four NIQ players? We have three. So if we need to make an emergency signing, say in an injury crisis, we can sign someone from anywhere and don't need to worry about Irish qualification. That looks like sensible squad management to me.

What did Sam Carter do to StandUp?
The NIQ rules seem flexible, in the past you could only have 1 NIQ/position. Multiple provinces have NIQs in same position next season.

Ulster (Toomaga-Allen THP, Carter Lock, Vermeulen No 8
Leinster (Ala'alatoa THP, Jenkins Lock, Ngatai Centre)
Munster (Snyman Lock, Fekitoa Centre)
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Dan McFarland has signed a contract extension till summer 2025, Glasgow were rumoured to be after him for next season as their new coach.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:24 am Dan McFarland has signed a contract extension till summer 2025, Glasgow were rumoured to be after him for next season as their new coach.
Great news, hopefully he is happy with the support he is getting
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:24 am Dan McFarland has signed a contract extension till summer 2025, Glasgow were rumoured to be after him for next season as their new coach.
Very happy with that, we might not be there yet but we are definitely heading in the right direction.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He wouldn't downgrade to Glasgow.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Happy with Dans re sign.
Although there is a shelf life for a head coach / DOR etc, the rotation of his coaching team should keep things fresh for the squad, and also Dan. Also a few things hopefully indicated:

Dan knows how much growth potential this squad and young players coming through has - he wants to be a part of reaping the rewards over next couple of yrs.

Hopefully despite the frustrations of working within the Irfu guidelines re recruitment etc, he can see a way of improving the squad/depth within the framework & improve odds of success.

Despite the gut sickening losses to Toulouse & Stormers - we aren’t far off.
Let’s not forget beating Clermont (double) & Toulouse in their own back yard (after a while without a Euro win in France - big for a young squad), double v Leinster, Frankly an absolute job on Munster, these are big results. People rightly focus on the players, but the coaching team must take huge pride/satisfaction on these type of results on big game nights. I’m not saying UR is the be all, but there aren’t too many bigger clubs around. Dan is an ambitious coach, staying is potentially a v good indication of the potential of the future. Frankly I like him, he comes across as a decent fella, ambitious, and I just think he “gets it” when it comes to UR. Thank f@ck Gibbes jumped ship.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Dharper wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:17 am Despite the gut sickening losses to Toulouse & Stormers - we aren’t far off.
I'd agree with this but then I've a real fear that the SA sides are going to dominate this league for years. They stated slow this year and then kicked on. They've increased their budgets and are able to retain players they might normally lose to European teams. They have a considerably larger pot to pick from as well.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

damianmcr wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:48 pm
Dharper wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:17 am Despite the gut sickening losses to Toulouse & Stormers - we aren’t far off.
I'd agree with this but then I've a real fear that the SA sides are going to dominate this league for years. They stated slow this year and then kicked on. They've increased their budgets and are able to retain players they might normally lose to European teams. They have a considerably larger pot to pick from as well.
The South Africans have raised the standard of the league, bring it on! If we want to compete we will have to get better. If the Welsh drop a team which has been heavily rumoured the Cheetahs look most likely to step in, this would dilute the South African product to a degree. The South Africans brought much needed TV money to the entire league.

In my head nothing has changed, unless we start producing our own players we'll not be winning at the business end of the season, we've got a golden generation of backs, let's up the forwards coming through in the next 3/4 seasons can match them.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

South Africans will have to play Heineken Cup next year remember. Was a massive advantage for them this year.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Don't think the SA will find it that easy next year. Most European teams will see the home games against them as big occasions and be up for it. Throw in the Heineken cup, a smaller squad size and a competitive conference and they may not dominate as much as they expect.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk