2021 U20 6 Nations

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bayern
Steward

Re: 2021 U20 6 Nations

Post by Bayern »

George Saunderson is a big project in the scrum.. will take some time before he is ready for senior, much like Callum Reid though he looks to be quite good in the loose.
armalig
Novice

Post by armalig »

yeah baby Hump had a bit of shocker unfort ... kept trying these wee dinks over top getting charged down .. Confidence must have been low unlike his tackles . He`ll bounce back. THink fast track approach with him needs slowed down . If hes cream he will rise to top on merit.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Bayern wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:41 am George Saunderson is a big project in the scrum.. will take some time before he is ready for senior, much like Callum Reid though he looks to be quite good in the loose.
Yeah thought that but hopefully McFarland can get his scrummaging technique sorted as he is a big lad.
armalig wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:25 am yeah baby Hump had a bit of shocker unfort ... kept trying these wee dinks over top getting charged down .. Confidence must have been low unlike his tackles . He`ll bounce back. THink fast track approach with him needs slowed down . If hes cream he will rise to top on merit.
yeah the dinks were clearly a tactic to deal with Italy's rush defence but he didn't execute well enough/quickly enough. He needs to add a little more weight on and get some experience- a run with the A's would give him a better chance to develop.Doak had lots of gametime with the a's , trained with the senior team and 2 senior caps- totally different. Baby Humph is only back in the province a year, hopefully he can make something of himself given more time.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Agree on Saunderson, big and mobile but struggled scrum time like pretty much all the Irish front rows. Think he could have good potential but definitely has a lot of work to do. Sheridan again pretty solid, looks a good prospect too. Crothers didn't really notice much when he came on, Doak again top notch, Humphreys didn't really do much positive either in attack or defence. Of the two centres Postlethwaite looked quite physical and athletic, Rankin I can't say I noticed much.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

So Doak moves to 10 and McKee starts at 9, Postlethwaite starting at 13, Sheridan keeping his place at lock and Moxham on the wing. Crothers, Carson and Saunderson on the bench.

IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v France Under-20s, 2021 Under-20 Six Nations Championship – Round 5, Cardiff Arms Park, Tuesday, July 13, kick-off 4.45pm):

15. Jamie Osborne (Naas CBS/Naas RFC/Leinster)
14. Ben Moxham (Larne High School/Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
13. Jude Postlethwaite (RBAI/Banbridge RFC/Ulster)
12. Cathal Forde (Colaiste Iognaid/Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
11. Shane Jennings (Garbally College/Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)
10. Nathan Doak (Wallace High School/Banbridge RFC/Ulster)
9. Conor McKee (Sullivan Upper School/Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
1. Temi Lasisi (CBS Enniscorthy/Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
2. Ronan Loughnane (Cistercian College Roscrea/UCD RFC/Leinster)
3. Sam Illo (Wesley College/Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
4. Mark Morrissey (Blackrock College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
5. Harry Sheridan (Sullivan Upper School/Dublin University FC/Ulster)
6. Alex Soroka (Belvedere College/Clontarf RFC/Leinster)
7. Oisin McCormack (Garbally College/Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)
8. Alex Kendellen (PBC Cork/UCC RFC/Munster)(Captain)
Replacements:
16. Eoin de Buitléar (Scoil Chuimsitheach Chiaráin/An Ghaeltacht/Galway Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
17. George Saunderson (Sullivan Upper School/Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
18. Liam Bishop (Trent College/Nottingham University/IQ Rugby)
19. Jack Kelleher (PBC Cork/UCC RFC/Munster)
20. Reuben Crothers (Wallace High School/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
21. Will Reilly (St Mary’s CBS Portlaoise/MU Barnhall RFC/Leinster)
22. Ben Carson (Wallace High School/Banbridge RFC/Ulster)
23. Chris Cosgrave (St Michael’s College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
24. Fearghail O’Donoghue (Cashel Community School/Cashel RFC/Munster)
25. Donnacha Byrne (Summerhill College/Sligo RFC/Connacht)
26. Chay Mullins (SGC Filton/Bristol Bears/IQ Rugby).
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Kendellen is some prospect even if he is Munster.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dublin4 wrote:Kendellen is some prospect even if he is Munster.
He is a cracking prospect. I hope he keeps developing his all round game and not just pick up the stander role of running over people.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Sheridan impressed again with his work rate and lineout work. Saunderson is a big powerful unit however struggles in the scrum. He wasn't able to keep his back straight so his power didn't translate in the scrum. He is perhaps too tall. Could he do a job in the backrow?
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Yeah Sheridan was very impressive- high work rate, very skilful and just kept going. Agree on Saunderson - very good in the loose, it really depends if Dan can sort out his scrummaging, not sure he would be quick enough for back row. I imagine he will be well aware of the need to sort his scrummaging out - nowhere to hide at this level and beyond.
Thought Postlethwaite was very good again and Moxham put some good hits in defence. Doak was pure class. I think if we add Sheridan, Doak and Postlethwaite to the squad its looking good alongside Izzy, Stewart etc. Crothers I think has another year at this level [as does Sheridan maybe?] and Saunderson looks be a project at scrum time, but could well pay off.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Silverstu wrote:Yeah Sheridan was very impressive- high work rate, very skilful and just kept going. Agree on Saunderson - very good in the loose, it really depends if Dan can sort out his scrummaging, not sure he would be quick enough for back row. I imagine he will be well aware of the need to sort his scrummaging out - nowhere to hide at this level and beyond.
Thought Postlethwaite was very good again and Moxham put some good hits in defence. Doak was pure class. I think if we add Sheridan, Doak and Postlethwaite to the squad its looking good alongside Izzy, Stewart etc. Crothers I think has another year at this level [as does Sheridan maybe?] and Saunderson looks be a project at scrum time, but could well pay off.
Probably he doesn't have the pace. Fitness might an issue too. Hopefully he can improve at scrumtime.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Have watched to half time, Saunderson came on and the first scrum was solid, second while you couldn't see what was happening on his side he won a penalty, and a few minutes later he gained a penalty for France not releasing on the ground. As someone with minimal scrummaging knowledge I wonder is it a combination of poor technique and a lack of fitness that comes back to bite him later on.