United Rugby Championship

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by Neill_M »

https://www.the42.ie/munster-covid-19-s ... 1-Nov2021/

Potentially an additionally 9 positive cases / close contacts in Munster camp after latest round of testing, so 38/48 strong party could travel back. They are currently planning to use their non-travelling internationals and academy players in the H Cup.
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Frankly this league is turning into a total farce as covid cases are arising every where. I always considered that including the South African Teams this season with the pandemic still everywhere was the height of stupidity.
Who is now going to venture to South Africa this season with what is happening to the Munster players and clearly the South African teams are unlikely to be permitted to come over here.
It is time that the powers that be brought the whole farce to an end and decided how to complete the league season without the South African teams.
I know some long standing Ulster supporters who have decide to give the rest of the season a miss so not to risk catching covid and carrying it into their family circle and who can blame them.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Have they stopped going to work, restaurants and the shops or is it just standing outside that worries them?
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Silly response in the circumstances Justin. Just family men who want to cut out all unnecessary contacts to keep their young families as safe as they can from covid.
Anything wrong with that ?
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Cracker…’frankly’…’a total farce’…’a complete farce’… You are of course entitled to your opinion. Others of us have appreciated seeing the SA teams in competition with other URC teams, even if it has taken them a while to get up to speed, and even if some of the remaining SA fixtures are scratched. Who would be an administrator?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s irrational Cracker.

They’ve far more chance of getting it from their young families.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:57 pm It’s irrational Cracker.

They’ve far more chance of getting it from their young families.

Oh well, maybe they should just stop seeing their families then.

Mitigating risk is about reducing the probabilties or impacts over which you have control.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

34/48 of Munster party landing in Amsterdam in next couple of hours, then an onward flight to Dublin I suspect. Also with KLM at a guess.

Cardiff due to leave South Africa on Thursday all being well on a charter flight and doing their 10 days in England.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We live in unprecedented times facing a threat we don't fully understand and cannot control. This thing will mutate and attack without tiring until some way of diminishing it can be found. Until that, we should be glad to get any rugby at all. Once this latest variant has been fully accessed, more normality may return.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:15 pm Have they stopped going to work, restaurants and the shops or is it just standing outside that worries them?
I have sympathy for any family member looking to mitigate the risks. NI has been much too slow in seeking certification, including outside events with more than 10000 attendance.
Even outside there are still the issues of turnstiles, staircases, grandstand seating , public toilets rtf etc, so each must make their own decisions without being ridiculed for them.
Twickenham attendees from 10 days ago being encouraged to get tested?
I think some people might stay away...........And I might.

Our politicians continue to make us a laughing stock and " the worst in the UK" at almost everything!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

My view is that you’ve got to accurately assess a risk before you can mitigate it but we’re unnecessarily disappearing down a rabbit hole.

See you next season (or maybe not as COVID will still be around).
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:10 am My view is that you’ve got to accurately assess a risk before you can mitigate it but we’re unnecessarily disappearing down a rabbit hole.

Which is all well and good when you know what your'e dealing with. We don't.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:My view is that you’ve got to accurately assess a risk before you can mitigate it but we’re unnecessarily disappearing down a rabbit hole.

The problem with that is it could be weeks before there is sufficient data. This government has a catalogue of decisions taken too late. Japan have closed their borders already. Not advocating for that but with a recent SA flight of passengers being 'advised' to take a test after landing in the UK, I have very little confidence they will get anything right. At least the French were making people test.

At best this thing could be mild enough to end the pandemic. At worst, it's coming for the children this time. I fully empathise with Bobbie and others making their own decisions to keep themselves and their family safe.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Cardiff will fly out from South Africa to Dublin tomorrow, then travelling on to England where they will quarantine for 10 days. Six positive Covid cases are staying in Cape Town. They intend to fulfil their Euro clash with Toulouse, utilising academy players.

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/146 ... 60321?s=20
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Neill_M wrote:Cardiff will fly out from South Africa to Dublin tomorrow, then travelling on to England where they will quarantine for 10 days. Six positive Covid cases are staying in Cape Town. They intend to fulfil their Euro clash with Toulouse, utilising academy players.

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/146 ... 60321?s=20
Wonder why scarlets didn't do the same? Does Peel have a special rate at the belfast covid Hotel?