Heineken Cup 2021/22

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Heineken Cup 2021/22

Post by Neill_M »

H Cup Referees Rounds 1 & 2
SAT 11 DEC 2021
Clermont v Ulster – Referee Wayne Barnes (Eng)
FRI 17 DEC 2021
Ulster v Saints – Referee Andrea Piradi (Ita)
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Inexperienced ref at Ravenhill. Could be fun.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

It wont let me create a new post so does anyone have a ticket for Northampton before I go through Ticketmaster?

Cheers
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Scarlets have had to forfeit their match to Bristol due to the SA quarantine. It seems to be more an issue that they couldn't train to prepare for the match rather than not being able to field a team, because the quarantine is due to end on Friday and the players from the SA tour would have been able to travel. Why couldn't they just roll up with the team that was going to play in SA? They could have done all their video work and stuff and you would have thought they wouldn't lose match fitness in a 10 day quarantine. Its a real shame for them.

Munster meanwhile are determined to fulfil their fixture which has undoubtedly made it one of the games everyone is keen to watch. How will the youngsters perform in their big european debut. Its a great fixture for them because there are no expectations at all.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Cardiff have got together a squad of 32 made up of non travelling senior players, academy guys and semi pros. Probably bigger effort to get game on as it is their home game, so have sold tickets and game is also on the box (Channel 4 etc). Nice easy opponent - Toulouse.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Fair play to Cardiff in fielding a team. The tournament really dissolves into farce when they start giving out 28-0 5 pointers against teams for not being able to play.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Munster Rugby have nominated an additional 22 players to be registered for the province’s Champions Cup squad.

EPCR confirmed last week that following consultation with the leagues and unions, it has been decided to extend the first registration date to allow all participating clubs to supplement their squads with an unlimited number of previously unregistered players.

Tony Butler, Patrick Campbell and Edwin Edogbo, who all recently joined the Greencore Munster Rugby Academy, are among the new additions although Edwin is currently injured.

The remaining 19 are either NTS (National Talent Squad) or PTS (Provincial Talent Squad) members with all 22 under 21 years of age.
The majority of the 22 have featured for their clubs in the opening rounds of the All Ireland League. 15 of the players lined out for a Munster Development XV in fixtures against Ulster and Leinster earlier this season.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

So now that we’ve qualified I’m just seeing that the ‘round of 16’ is a feckin two legged affair. Where is the fairness in that? So we could easily draw Toulouse after the weekend. As good as we’ve been I don’t fancy our chances over 2 games. It would mean teams like ourselves who have literally busted themselves to do as well as possible over the group games could get shafted by the likes of Montpellier who have been taking the p!ss!!!!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

HammerTime wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:28 am So now that we’ve qualified I’m just seeing that the ‘round of 16’ is a feckin two legged affair. Where is the fairness in that? So we could easily draw Toulouse after the weekend. As good as we’ve been I don’t fancy our chances over 2 games. It would mean teams like ourselves who have literally busted themselves to do as well as possible over the group games could get shafted by the likes of Montpellier who have been taking the p!ss!!!!
2 legged rugby games are a nonsense. Lots of potential for dead rubbers if the home team gets a flier in the first leg.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

It gives no incentive to go all out in the group stages. Biggest teams with more resources can go easier knowing they’ll do enough to just qualify as one of the 16, and then go all guns blazing in the knockout stages. Pile of sh!te.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

HammerTime wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:28 am So now that we’ve qualified I’m just seeing that the ‘round of 16’ is a feckin two legged affair. Where is the fairness in that? So we could easily draw Toulouse after the weekend. As good as we’ve been I don’t fancy our chances over 2 games. It would mean teams like ourselves who have literally busted themselves to do as well as possible over the group games could get shafted by the likes of Montpellier who have been taking the p!ss!!!!
Equally some teams will have been severely hampered by 28-0 forfeits or getting only 2 points from a home again they would gave expected to win.

Would want to avoid Toulouse for sure although they did do us a huge favour in 1999 by contriving to lose to Ebbw Vale somehow and giving ulster a home qf.

Then again they did dish out some punishment to us via Mr Brennan some time ago....although not sure exactly when that was.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yep - a guaranteed home draw in the QF is not much use if you get knocked out over the two legs!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bart S wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:27 am
Equally some teams will have been severely hampered by 28-0 forfeits or getting only 2 points from a home again they would gave expected to win.

Would want to avoid Toulouse for sure although they did do us a huge favour in 1999 by contriving to lose to Ebbw Vale somehow and giving ulster a home qf.

Then again they did dish out some punishment to us via Mr Brennan some time ago....although not sure exactly when that was.
There was a reasonable expectation that COVID was going to disrupt the tournament again; one would like to think the format is binned after this season though.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

The 2nd leg will be a bit unappetising from a fan's point if you get hoked away from home.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:39 am The 2nd leg will be a bit unappetising from a fan's point if you get hoked away from home.

I'm not sure it's an advantage to be at home 2nd leg in rugby. It's not like soccer where you can shut up shop and try and draw. A decent win for the home team will give them a huge psychological advantage for the return.
Big Neville Southall