Heineken Cup 2021/22

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Heineken Cup 2021/22

Post by jean valjean »

I'm not getting any hopes up at all and am resigned to getting toulouse. Will see what wasps can do but they have lost a few from last week and will struggle up front.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:25 pm I'm not getting any hopes up at all and am resigned to getting toulouse. Will see what wasps can do but they have lost a few from last week and will struggle up front.
It gives us a bit of interest the day at any rate.

Remember the last time we dominated the qualifiying stage?

Number 1 seeds and our reward was Sorries at Ravers
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:29 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:25 pm I'm not getting any hopes up at all and am resigned to getting toulouse. Will see what wasps can do but they have lost a few from last week and will struggle up front.
It gives us a bit of interest the day at any rate.

Remember the last time we dominated the qualifiying stage?

Number 1 seeds and our reward was Sorries at Ravers
No, nor me Jean but as Merv says gives us a bit of interest today.

Hold no fears meeting Toulouse in R16 either, on our day we're a match for anyone, it's a great away trip and watching HWM resisting Brennans Bar is worth the fixture alone.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Stade hooker has just been awarded Heineken prat of the season. No further candidates will be accepted this season.
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

If Covid comes into play in the Round of 16 there will be some very tough decisions. Awarding one team a 28-0 win as they’ve been doing would not be fair at all, that’s far too big a mountain to climb for the second leg against teams of that quality, and would render the game that was actually played completely pointless.

Awarding a draw also could be dangerous. Im not saying anyone will, but there’s the potential that the team who wins the first leg they can throw away the second leg due to ‘Covid’ and go through without having to play the second game esp if that first game they were at home. Unlikely, but rugby doesn’t have a much of a moral high ground when it comes to stuff like this eg bloodgate

Even in a complete random Covid outbreak within a team, you’d imagine the team who wins the first leg would be more than happy to forfeit the game if a 0-0 result is awarded. Either way there’s going to be some teams up in arms - let’s hope it’s not us! Be interesting to see what Epcr will do about this, still think the 2 legged thing is an terrible idea.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

There's been/will be too much shenanigans going on just make it a 1 leg affair.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

HammerTime wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:24 pm There's been/will be too much shenanigans going on just make it a 1 leg affair.
History dictates that the rules only get changed when it's to Ulster's disadvantage.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

The only change that could possibly be made is to move to a single last 16 match. In that case the highest seed should get home advantage. The 28-0 must be binned from now on.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Wasps are pure muck!
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

SparkyClarky wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:43 pm Wasps are pure muck!
That's an insult to muck!

That's Toulouse confirmed

Away 8/9/10 April
Home 15/16/17 April

We are in South Africa the 2 weeks before, that'll not be a Covid risk :duck:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Played Toulouse 11 times W 5 D 1 L 5

Covid permitting, these ties will make them the team Ulster have faced most often outside of the other sides in our domestic league edging ahead of Leicester and Stade Francais both on 11

Btw: does anyone know if a 2 legged tie counts as one match or two for statistical purposes? I'm assuming 2
Big Neville Southall
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

It’s 2 matches.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:41 pm Played Toulouse 11 times W 5 D 1 L 5

Covid permitting, these ties will make them the team Ulster have faced most often outside of the other sides in our domestic league edging ahead of Leicester and Stade Francais both on 11

Btw: does anyone know if a 2 legged tie counts as one match or two for statistical purposes? I'm assuming 2
Merv - any chance you could share some of your stats with Mark Robson so has some interesting new facts? All he seems to have about Nathan Doak is that his dad once dismissed Brian Lara whilst playing cricket for Ireland.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:41 pm Played Toulouse 11 times W 5 D 1 L 5

If you've time on your hands, Merv, what are the stats for our matches against Leicester and Stade? In the last few years at least, I think we have a pretty good record against the English and French in general.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Munster will have it all to do now, versus Exeter