Heineken Cup 2021/22

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

germcevoy
Initiate

Re: Heineken Cup 2021/22

Post by germcevoy »

Despise the format. It looks even more silly this year with so many postponed games needing played. A two legger is just a waste of a week and travel.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:39 am The 2nd leg will be a bit unappetising from a fan's point if you get hoked away from home.
Agree, would nearly prefer to play away from home in 2nd leg with hopefully something to cling on to.

Benefit of a top place pool finish only really come into effect come QF. Theres no guarantee of weaker opposition in the round of 16 given the covid lottery affecting previous games. There are some big names going to finish 6, 7, 8 in the pools.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

If Ulster win on Saturday, they will likely finish 2nd and face one of Toulouse, Connacht or Bordeaux over 2 legs with the home game second.

Bordeaux 8 +32
Connacht 8 +20
Toulouse 7 +24

Toulouse v Cardiff (Sat 1pm)
Tigers v Bordeaux (Sat 3:15pm)
Stade Francais v Connacht (Sun 1pm)

I reckon Toulouse get all 5 points v Cardiff and it is down to Bordeaux / Connacht. Bordeaux have the harder game.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Reports of a big covid outbreak in toulouse. What would a 28-0 defeat for them mean for the seedings?
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

jean valjean wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am Reports of a big covid outbreak in toulouse. What would a 28-0 defeat for them mean for the seedings?
I'm not very good at these but as far as I can see, Toulouse would probably still hold 7th place because Castres aren't likely to beat Quins (H), never mind beat them with a BP which they would need, and Wasps are unlikely to beat Munster (H) [although there's at least a chance of that].

If Toulouse get a 28-0 forfeit and Wasps did beat Munster, I think we would play Connacht in the last 16 (assuming we come 2nd as is widely expected).

This stuff makes my head hurt though.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

In the latter scenario, Bordeaux probably have a harder game than Connacht so it could be them.

I agree that Toulouse not playing would probably see them stay where they are and increase our chances of being paired with them.

Given a clean bill of health, you could argue that only Stade have any chance of getting into the top 8 and all the other games are fairly meaningless.

We’re comfortably on top of the carries, metres gained and defenders beaten charts.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:05 pm In the latter scenario, Bordeaux probably have a harder game than Connacht so it could be them.

I agree that Toulouse not playing would probably see them stay where they are and increase our chances of being paired with them.

Given a clean bill of health, you could argue that only Stade have any chance of getting into the top 8 and all the other games are fairly meaningless.

We’re comfortably on top of the carries, metres gained and defenders beaten charts.
A Toulouse forfeit and Ulster win on Saturday, would mean it would be a strong possibility of Ulster Toulouse in Round of 16.

Wasps would need 2 match points to over take them.
austintranslation
Novice

Post by austintranslation »

allezlesverres wrote:
jean valjean wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am Reports of a big covid outbreak in toulouse. What would a 28-0 defeat for them mean for the seedings?
I'm not very good at these but as far as I can see, Toulouse would probably still hold 7th place because Castres aren't likely to beat Quins (H), never mind beat them with a BP which they would need, and Wasps are unlikely to beat Munster (H) [although there's at least a chance of that].

If Toulouse get a 28-0 forfeit and Wasps did beat Munster, I think we would play Connacht in the last 16 (assuming we come 2nd as is widely expected).

This stuff makes my head hurt though.
I wouldn't be so sure that Quins will win tomorrow night. Castres have a strong side out while Quins have rotated because they are already through.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Can get 8-1 on Castres if you fancy it.

Think the handicap bet is about 15 points and they usually don’t lose by many, even if they have one eye on the league.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Ulster should send out a development side. We’re already through so feck it. Clermont aren't great so can’t see them putting a cricket score on a weaker team. Avoid Toulouse and Bordeaux at all costs!!!!!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

HammerTime wrote:Ulster should send out a development side. We’re already through so feck it. Clermont aren't great so can’t see them putting a cricket score on a weaker team. Avoid Toulouse and Bordeaux at all costs!!!!!
The alternative will likely be connacht who have had our number recently anyway. If we aren't going to win the thing then playing in France in a big game will serve our young guys better than another trip to galway.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

All in for me. A home quarter is a big carrot to dangle. I’d fancy out chances of stifling almost any team at home in the 2nd leg of the last 16.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Just read an article in the Times previewing theHieniken Cu p matches for this weekend. Obviously the so called Journalist hasn’t
Seen any of Ulster’s games nor done any research as he majors on the absence 5his weekend of Stockdale and Addison. He very obviously lives on a diet of the Gallagher Premiership.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I do think playing away in the first leg is a big advantage. The home team is already under pressure to get ahead on the scoreboard and that in rugby can be a major factor. How many times have we seen teams trying to chase games only to end up beaten by more? I'd fancy ulster to be able to keep the tie alive no matter where we play and as said above we'd always have a great chance at ravenhill no matter what.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s an interesting one.

Teams at home in Europe in the group stages are constantly under pressure to rack up the points.

And they usually do.

The wheels are more likely to fall off chasing points in the second leg, in the way you tend to see on the last day of the 6N.

You’d imagine a 15 point deficit would put off a few from shelling out for the return fixture.