URC 2021/22 - Other Sides

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Re: URC 2021/22 - Other Sides

Post by Dublin4 »

I was quite wrong about what would happen in Thomond.
You may consider this a strange comment coming from me but Leinster's domination is bad for everyone. I have friends giving up their season tickets next season as they are just fed up watching one sided games. They can pick and choose to go to a H Cup game. So far the SA teams have not really made an impact though that might change.
Many Leinster players are exiting the squad but the conveyor belt keeps moving along.
I really hoped Munster would at least keep the game in doubt to the end but they were well outclassed.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Dan Leavy retiring from rugby with immediate effect.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Seems to similar to JEREMY DAVIDSON

WALK NO WALK

A loss to leinster and Irish rugby ( as if we care for either ) more sorry for the guy himself to be honest
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Leavy's on field injury when a saffie playing for you took him out is a horrible memory. I remember the stunned silence around the Aviva stadium.
Still, 2018 was his annus mirabilis. Grand slam, beat NZ and a Heineken cup medal was a great haul. He has spent three years trying to get back and it is time to move on.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Saturday, 9 April 2022

DHL Stormers vs Vodacom Bulls at DHL Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town - 13h00
Referee: Frank Murphy
Assistant Referees: AM Jacobs, Aimee Barrett-Theron
Television Match Official: Marius van der Westhuizen

Cell C Sharks vs Emirates Lions at Hollywoodbets Kings Park, Durban - 15h05
Referee: Ben Blain
Assistant Referees: Cwengile Jadezweni, Griffin Colby
Television Match Official: Marius Jonker

Cardiff Rugby vs Scarlets at Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff - 15h10
Referee: Adam Jones
Assistant Referees: Rhys Jones, Carwyn Williams
Television Match Official: Sean Brickell
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dublin4 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:40 am Leavy's on field injury when a saffie playing for you took him out is a horrible memory. I remember the stunned silence around the Aviva stadium.
Still, 2018 was his annus mirabilis. Grand slam, beat NZ and a Heineken cup medal was a great haul. He has spent three years trying to get back and it is time to move on.
Not sure that your memory is entirely accurate.

However, Leavy was a true warrior and a ferocious competitor and it almost seems apt, albeit a great shame, that he’s had to leave the playing arena on his shield, more or less.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Jim Hamilton on the Rugby Pod speculating that the URC Final will be down in South Africa. It is scheduled for June, so SH winter. Interesting to see if that happens etc.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

justinr73 wrote:
Dublin4 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:40 am Leavy's on field injury when a saffie playing for you took him out is a horrible memory. I remember the stunned silence around the Aviva stadium.
Not sure that your memory is entirely accurate.

However, Leavy was a true warrior and a ferocious competitor and it almost seems apt, albeit a great shame, that he’s had to leave the playing arena on his shield, more or less.
The defence of toners clear out on coombes while harping on about this is a bit hypocritical of leinster fans. Both were unfortunate accidents and a result of breakdown laws with unintended consequences. A sad ending for leavy, he was a terrific player who appeared to have a higher ceiling than vdf at the time.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Neill_M wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:22 pm Jim Hamilton on the Rugby Pod speculating that the URC Final will be down in South Africa. It is scheduled for June, so SH winter. Interesting to see if that happens etc.
Would surely need a South African side in the final for that to work, which means not deciding a final venue until the Semi Finals are done, a whole 7 days before the final....... :duck:
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

To be clear, Leavy's injury was part and parcel of the game at the time. Rugby is physically demanding and these are the risks you take. Nobody meant this to be a career ending tackle. Still, a terrible shame. His efforts to come back were trojan but ultimately futile.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Dublin4 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:53 pm To be clear, Leavy's injury was part and parcel of the game at the time. Rugby is physically demanding and these are the risks you take. Nobody meant this to be a career ending tackle. Still, a terrible shame. His efforts to come back were trojan but ultimately futile.
I'm with D4 on this one. I thought Herbsts clear out was grim and very likely to cause injury. I don't think it was intended and I don't think it was illegal but even as an Ulster fan I've always held a grudge against herbst since then.

I'm gutted for Leavy, he was such an athlete and really seemed to be on the up. That clear out apparently damaged almost all the ligaments and tendons in his knee to the extent it was basically skin holding the joint together. It's a miracle he is back walking but professional rugby was always unlikely.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

My memory of the Herbst on Leavy incident was that there was a tackle, Leavy was the tackle assist. Herbst went in to create the ruck and whether Leavy's leg was caught up in the tackle or whatever, his feet were planted in a bad place and he got bulldozed. I don't remember it being a ruck clearout as such (which IMHO are illegal and should be reffed out of the game), nor do I remember it being especially aggressive (on a very high scale, you understand).

It could be that Leavy was going for the jackal (illegally?) and that is why he was positioned the way he was.

Rugby needs to go back to competitive rucking and reduce the attraction of jackals as a primary source of turnover ball. That way there will be less incentive for players to put themselves in these dangerous stances.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

BR wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:57 pm My memory of the Herbst on Leavy incident was that there was a tackle, Leavy was the tackle assist. Herbst went in to create the ruck and whether Leavy's leg was caught up in the tackle or whatever, his feet were planted in a bad place and he got bulldozed. I don't remember it being a ruck clearout as such (which IMHO are illegal and should be reffed out of the game), nor do I remember it being especially aggressive (on a very high scale, you understand).

It could be that Leavy was going for the jackal (illegally?) and that is why he was positioned the way he was.

Rugby needs to go back to competitive rucking and reduce the attraction of jackals as a primary source of turnover ball. That way there will be less incentive for players to put themselves in these dangerous stances.
That's a good summary of the incident. There was no nothing illegal about it. No penalty, no card, no citing. I think it is nasty making something out of nothing. We are all sorry that Dan has had to retire and we wish him well.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

I'm not going to watch it back BR, but that's basically it as far as I recall. Leavy was poaching/slowing the ball and the way herbst put him off his feet was against the grain of the knee. I was clear at the time and still am that it wasn't illegal . It was still grim, and shouldn't have happened. I never spent any amount of time clearing out rucks so I've no idea what you see when you're heading into it, but watching it I felt it was clumsy and unsympathetic to leavy if I put it neutrally. I'd be raging if I was leavy.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Herbst was being paid to be unsympathetic to Leavy.

Like I say - it wasnt even a clear out - it was just a ruck, but Leavy had the wrong stance to be rucking. Maybe because he was jackaling/slowing the ball as you suggest.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk