URC 2021/22 - Other Sides

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: URC 2021/22 - Other Sides

Post by Dave »

Christ on a bike. The league celebrates and rewards incompetence.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Dave wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:18 am Christ on a bike. The league celebrates and rewards incompetence.
Well, the last two times we've had Frank (away and home v Leinster) he's been ok..... nothing outrageous. Perhaps he reads this board and has taken the strictures to heart. Sometimes two swallows do make a summer...... It's the combination that's the issue - Olly Hodges & Joy Neville with strong and confidents refs are fine. Stick them with someone they believes needs 'support' and they can mutate from the TMO to the Fourth Referee.

My take on the Stormers match.... you do have to wonder quite what the TMO sees. From the Premier TV feed and replays, I'd say it was pretty evident what happened, yet somehow there must have been a different set going to the TMO truck. And I'll reckon that if you played that footage to a stadium of knowledgable rugby supporters (even English or Welsh ones) they'd come up with the original decision by the ref.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

WestDr wrote:
Dave wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:18 am Christ on a bike. The league celebrates and rewards incompetence.
Well, the last two times we've had Frank (away and home v Leinster) he's been ok..... nothing outrageous. Perhaps he reads this board and has taken the strictures to heart. Sometimes two swallows do make a summer...... It's the combination that's the issue - Olly Hodges & Joy Neville with strong and confidents refs are fine. Stick them with someone they believes needs 'support' and they can mutate from the TMO to the Fourth Referee.

My take on the Stormers match.... you do have to wonder quite what the TMO sees. From the Premier TV feed and replays, I'd say it was pretty evident what happened, yet somehow there must have been a different set going to the TMO truck. And I'll reckon that if you played that footage to a stadium of knowledgable rugby supporters (even English or Welsh ones) they'd come up with the original decision by the ref.
There is no chance the tmo had a different set of camera angles. He likely had more but they are shown the best ones.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I thought the camera team did very well with the angles. Better than would be available in NH (sky used to to be pretty good, TBF).

Of course, not a lot of point if the TMO ignores what is in front of him and just makes the call based on what his bookie tells him.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

it is possibly down to what is referred to as cognitive biases

some of which are

Confirmation bias --

When analysing information -- giving extra weight to findings that support your existing preconception

Anchoring effect -- attaching exaggerated importance to the first piece of information you receive

I like this one

Dunning-Kruger effect -- unskilled or incompetent people are slow to recognise their own shortcomings

Ostrich effect --- simply ignoring negative or unwelcome information

Authority bias over reliance on the opinion of an authority figure

and

Bandwagon effect ideas are more likely to be adopted if others are seen to have already accepted them

In my opinion the incident could be used to explain and illustrate each and all of the above

there are other forms of bias but most seem inappropriate on this occasion
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

rumncoke wrote:it is possibly down to what is referred to as cognitive biases

some of which are

Confirmation bias --

When analysing information -- giving extra weight to findings that support your existing preconception

Anchoring effect -- attaching exaggerated importance to the first piece of information you receive

I like this one

Dunning-Kruger effect -- unskilled or incompetent people are slow to recognise their own shortcomings

Ostrich effect --- simply ignoring negative or unwelcome information

Authority bias over reliance on the opinion of an authority figure

and

Bandwagon effect ideas are more likely to be adopted if others are seen to have already accepted them

In my opinion the incident could be used to explain and illustrate each and all of the above

there are other forms of bias but most seem inappropriate on this occasion
It's also possible the TMO was just a cheat and didn't want to give a decision that would result in an ulster win or even give them an opportunity to win.
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

I'd vote on that Jean and agree totally with your summary.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I agree a cheating kunt. When the ref questioned if it was a knock on by Stormers. He blatantly lied.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Need to lions to do a job on Edinburgh now. Leinster to romp home also please and do the double on munster.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Edinburgh take the lead with a drop goal from about the half way lane.

Immelman.

Any relation?!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

A LBP for Edinburgh.

They got lucky with the weather last week.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Bias is of course another name for cheating as it the basis of justifying the unjustified as bias most often leads to the wrong conclusion
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

rumncoke wrote:Bias is of course another name for cheating as it the basis of justifying the unjustified as bias most often leads to the wrong conclusion
Some bias are unconscious. Therefore it is not really cheating as you don't deliberately decide to do something wrong.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I'm expecting a Munster win this evening.
I think they want it more than us Ladyboys.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Still in our own hands for 2nd spot. Massive game against munster now with Glasgow to go to SA still. 6 pt lead over Edinburgh so could even afford to lose to them and keep top 2 spot.