women's game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

JorisM
Novice

Re: women's game

Post by JorisM »

LadyP wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:07 pm Ireland we’re always getting beat in that game, Italy and Spain played club games, Spain were the best looking team of the four , Italians are always a different team at home, Ireland are such a waste of talent, poorly coached, poor attitudes, people there for wrong reasons, people there to promote themselves, some who are not fit to wear the 👚 .

Ireland could lose to Italy, I don’t want them too, but it may be a blessing in disguise
Spanish club game ended last June and won't restart until October. Spain held a training session against Toulouse in August, but hasn't had the chance to play meaningful opponents like Ireland had in the last Six Nations since COVID started. And even that last time they lost heavily to Scotland (12-36).

Of course, their women enjoy the backing of their union and they have been working for two years on how to beat Ireland. They held a COVID-impacted camp in September 2020 in case qualifiers went on last November, then held a month-long bubble to play Russia and Netherlands as they expected to play Ireland last March only for the playoff to be called off... But it's more about preparing themselves for their only shot at Ireland in a decade than having played more than the Irish and therefore being less rusty.

I've read quite a few analysis that are completely wrong. It's hard to blame 7s when Spain equally has a programme in World Series. They are just as pro, semipro or amateur as Ireland. To me they are a worse team but they know it's their only chance every four years to make international rugby headlines, they live for these qualifiers. Ireland hasn't seen itself in this position for far too long and players couldn't handle it.
LadyP
Novice

Post by LadyP »

JorisM wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:11 pm
LadyP wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:07 pm Ireland we’re always getting beat in that game, Italy and Spain played club games, Spain were the best looking team of the four , Italians are always a different team at home, Ireland are such a waste of talent, poorly coached, poor attitudes, people there for wrong reasons, people there to promote themselves, some who are not fit to wear the 👚 .

Ireland could lose to Italy, I don’t want them too, but it may be a blessing in disguise
Spanish club game ended last June and won't restart until October. Spain held a training session against Toulouse in August, but hasn't had the chance to play meaningful opponents like Ireland had in the last Six Nations since COVID started. And even that last time they lost heavily to Scotland (12-36).

Of course, their women enjoy the backing of their union and they have been working for two years on how to beat Ireland. They held a COVID-impacted camp in September 2020 in case qualifiers went on last November, then held a month-long bubble to play Russia and Netherlands as they expected to play Ireland last March only for the playoff to be called off... But it's more about preparing themselves for their only shot at Ireland in a decade than having played more than the Irish and therefore being less rusty.

I've read quite a few analysis that are completely wrong. It's hard to blame 7s when Spain equally has a programme in World Series. They are just as pro, semipro or amateur as Ireland. To me they are a worse team but they know it's their only chance every four years to make international rugby headlines, they live for these qualifiers. Ireland hasn't seen itself in this position for far too long and players couldn't handle it.
Welcome to the forum

Spain have been working on qualifying for World Cup, not just beating Ireland
I don’t blame 7s I blame Anthony Eddy using Ireland training camps and International games as a method to improve 7s players as he totally dismisses +club game and interpros have Ireland met any of its stated strategic targets, no, so who will take the wrap

Ireland have had no consistency in selection going into qualifying games with even more new caps , why ? Go look at how many caps have been given out over the past 5 years, players who question Coaches are binned

The player who give away the penalty before try was a first cap, stupid penalty, then look at the try, look at players all tuning back not looking at Spain, look at a player( Consitine) shoot out of the line in defence in her 22, shocking, look at the very unfit player wandering about, Ireland are poor, Spain were not great but wanted the win 🏆

Ireland are ranked 8 in the world, Spain 9th why are people shocked by the results, , Ireland continually fail to deliver
"This doesn't look good Parker"
JorisM
Novice

Post by JorisM »

LadyP wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 pm Spain have been working on qualifying for World Cup, not just beating Ireland
I know it sounds like an exaggeration, but it isn't: Spain worked first and foremost on beating Ireland because it was expected that RWC qualifiers wouldn't be round robin but a series of playoffs. And according to World Rankings, the bracket was Ireland v Spain and Italy v Scotland home and away. COVID forced that double game between Spain and Ireland to be called off when both teams were about to play last March and Spain had been preparing it for over a month. While news kept coming from Spain in February, barely anything came out of IRFU. The Spanish were ready for this game seven months ago, Ireland wasn't.
LadyP wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 pm Ireland have had no consistency in selection going into qualifying games with even more new caps , why ? Go look at how many caps have been given out over the past 5 years, players who question Coaches are binned
I'd say this lack of consistency in selection is normal in national unions trying to get a foot on XV and another on 7s. Others have been able to adapt. At obvious different levels, England and Spain decided to put their focus on set pieces and forwards game when holding XV training camps as they couldn't train with 7s players. Being so weak in scrums and mauls despite having bigger players is a failure.
LadyP wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 pm The player who give away the penalty before try was a first cap, stupid penalty, then look at the try, look at players all tuning back not looking at Spain, look at a player( Consitine) shoot out of the line in defence in her 22, shocking, look at the very unfit player wandering about
The Spanish try scorer was also a first cap, with a third of the squad aged between 19 and 22. They were inexperienced, error-prone and gave away as many stupid penalties as Ireland (let's agree that refereeing was excessive sometimes). To me, panic took over the Irish, the game still could have been won easily despite all the issues you point out had they been mentally prepared for this.
LadyP wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 pm Ireland are poor, Spain were not great but wanted the win 🏆
I agree, but everything can't be down to simple will. One side prepared better despite having worse cards in hand.
LadyP wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 pm Ireland are ranked 8 in the world, Spain 9th why are people shocked by the results, , Ireland continually fail to deliver
Because the IRFU has 25 times the budget of Spanish rugby union. And even if we take into account exclusively the investment on women's rugby, figures are around 20 times bigger. In addition to playing a regular annual tournament against 4 of the 6-7 best sides in the world that should have helped to prepare this, whether Interpros are played three weeks earlier or not, 7s players are brought into the squad...
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Welcome, Joris. Can we assume that you'll be our mole in Spain for the future?
JorisM
Novice

Post by JorisM »

I'm not exactly a connoisseur of the local scene, but I'll try to, especially if the time to tour comes :lol:
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

You should get in touch with some of the UAFC expats in Spain. Of course, knowing them, you might be best advised to keep your distance.