Ulster vs Saracens

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster vs Saracens

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:10 pm Nice partnership developing between Pope and Bairstow.
Think you're in the wrong place Justin, but yes, with these 2 at the crease and a very lengthy tail England could put themselves in a very strong position this afternoon.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Couldn’t disagree more re pessimism over incoming season. I don’t think there were many good buys on the market for Ulster unless we were going to pay silly money. I am not in favour of topping up some overseas players Pension fund.
Our academy is starting to produce some worth while players and our squad as it stands is not too bad. A few players were missing last season due to injury like Marshall Addison Baluacooune Carter and we lost Izzy early on who looked like he was a real find. The boys who played in The Summer internationals at both Senior and U20 level showed up well and we have a relatively good age spread in the squad.
I know that Kearney may not be a big name signing but he is a solid enough player and should be able to do a good job for us as a back up 2nd Row.
We had a number of young players coming through last season and they should have learned from the experience so I dont see any reason to be gloomy.
I predict that we will win more than we loose with a solid home record.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Winning more than we lose is a given generally. 16/14 wins with a truncated season last year. The SA teams will be hard to beat away but they don't tend to travel well. I will just be glad to return attending games again. Possibly a run in the Parker Pen will materialise but I wouldn't expect much else.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I also feel we are in for a good season and for those other unfortunates unable to attend Ravenhill
⏩ https://bbc.in/3DJtv10
coverage starts at a quarter to.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Setanta wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:05 pm I also feel we are in for a good season and for those other unfortunates unable to attend Ravenhill
⏩ https://bbc.in/3DJtv10
coverage starts at a quarter to.
:thumleft:

You've just convinced me to stay home tonight. Had messaged a couple of friends I hadn't seen for a while in the hope I might meet up with them on the terrace. No luck. Even my own son is doubtful, so seeing that link has just convinced me I don't want to stand alone on the terrace watching an opposed training session for every player and his granny, bar the ones we expect to be in the team week in week out.

Think I'll save my effort until the matches actually mean something. Can't get worked up about watching a team that was in the Championship last season either - Sorries.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Perfectly understandable.

I was concerned about the prospect of trying to watch a pre-season friendly sober.

So I won’t.

>burp
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Aird wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:59 pm Couldn’t disagree more re pessimism over incoming season. I don’t think there were many good buys on the market for Ulster unless we were going to pay silly money. I am not in favour of topping up some overseas players Pension fund.
Our academy is starting to produce some worth while players and our squad as it stands is not too bad. A few players were missing last season due to injury like Marshall Addison Baluacooune Carter and we lost Izzy early on who looked like he was a real find. The boys who played in The Summer internationals at both Senior and U20 level showed up well and we have a relatively good age spread in the squad.
I know that Kearney may not be a big name signing but he is a solid enough player and should be able to do a good job for us as a back up 2nd Row.
We had a number of young players coming through last season and they should have learned from the experience so I dont see any reason to be gloomy.
I predict that we will win more than we loose with a solid home record.
If we get to the senis of the Pro14 and last 16 of the heiny then I'll consider that a very good season. Our biggest issue has been the back 5 in the pack and lack of ball carriers and we are even weaker in that area than last season with the loss of Coetzee. There are players like Timoney who have done well but it is all relative - he would make leinster's 3rd choice backrow probably but no better. Izzy has potential but that's all it is and he has a very long way to prove he is good enough to be better than the likes of Tredwell and O'connor.

I am not blaming ulster for not signing anyone post Nakarawa as better to keep the cash and wait until someone good becomes available. If we see some locks or backrowers really coming through this season that would be worth it.

I have no doubt nos. 11-15 will be fine it is 4-8 which concern me most.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

If Ulster play touch rugby all night it will be a long one.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Just arrived.

Is tackling optional tonight?
baldeagle09
Initiate

Post by baldeagle09 »

I would be leaving now if I was there!
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

bar steward must have it geopolitically blocked!!! :roll: :(
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I wish it was blocked here or I was.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Only thing made me smile was Gusher that’s good by Goode lol
Other than that tears all night!

Hiding behind the sofa for the second half!
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Cannot understand it ; watched the ladies get thrashed by Munster last week without a problem and now this. >flog