Autumn International squad

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Autumn International squad

Post by jean valjean »

Robbie be waiting a long time today for a pass. Joey can't pass off left hand and ringrose cuts inside every time.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

About 39 minutes I think it was.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:14 pm About 39 minutes I think it was.
Yep, waited until then for the first of two passes in the whole half.

Donncha O Callaghan is the worst 'expert' commentator I've ever heard.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Argentina are very poor. I don't get the attraction of paying to watch green jerseys barging over a line with little resistance.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:01 pm Argentina are very poor. I don't get the attraction of paying to watch green jerseys barging over a line with little resistance.
...or of playing jaded southern hemisphere teams in the Autumn.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Overall thoughts:

Balacoune was tidy with very limited opportunities, 1 sloppy missed tackle aside.
Casey looked very much at home and with a defo lift in tempo when came on.
Carberry played well, nice kicks to touch, tidy place kicking, made his tackles, and looked pretty handy at 15 too.
Ringrose and henshaw were solid if not spectacular.
Young H Byrne was very hit and miss, got better as game went on.
Doris was absolute quality, as was VdF. I’m not a massive fan of POM but he played very well.
My MOM was Beirne, kept the lineout running when both hendo & Ryan gone, and Baird making his debut and young Sheehan out in of touch. That’s before we mention his workrate, and breakdown work on top.
Porter gave multi pens away, but still got through a lot of work, furlong is absolutely motoring.
Young Sheehan played well, apart from slowing Casey at static maul time. With the lineout going ok, herring is going to have a real fight on his hands to make ire 23s going forward.
With the slow start, disruptive build up, and gametime for young players it was a decent hit out.
Interesting to see where they are come 6ns…..depth, depth, depth will be key going forward.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:17 pm What’s up with Hendy?
To answer my own question, and perhaps predictably, it’s a hamstring injury.
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

I liked the lift in tempo when Casey came on. Murray felt very pedestrian and too slow getting to some of the rucks.
Shame Baloucoune didn't get any ball. I wonder if he needs to go looking for it more and pop up in midfield the way Lowe does.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:01 pm Argentina are very poor. I don't get the attraction of paying to watch green jerseys barging over a line with little resistance.
...or of playing jaded southern hemisphere teams in the Autumn.
Quite a lot have been in bubbles away from family for months too.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

A shame Ireland couldn’t work the ball to Balocoune more often. He did carry very well when it did come his way however and he managed to present the ball more quickly than the 9’s were able to get to it. I would say he has done enough to be there for the Six Nations.

Likewise with Timoney.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Come the six nations Conway will be the first choice if fit don't kid yourself and walk into a fools paradise Cullen will be coaching the Irish side and Farrell will take the credit and the money

The only player who has played himself off the 23 is Murray
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Carbery's reemergence on Sunday was significant. He seems to have recovered the form of his earlier career.
On the other hand, Conor Murray is clearly just too ponderous for this level. JGP or Casey offer a lot more.
Time to go back to watching the Leinster seconds for a while.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dublin4 wrote:Carbery's reemergence on Sunday was significant. He seems to have recovered the form of his earlier career.
On the other hand, Conor Murray is clearly just too ponderous for this level. JGP or Casey offer a lot more.
Time to go back to watching the Leinster seconds for a while.
His earlier form as a full back? Still looks lost at 10 to me.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Am I missing something?
Nearly all of England international squad played a full 80 minutes for their club sides this weekend.
But nearly all Ireland's squad didn't ( Ringrose and Furlong two noticeable exceptions!!)
Are IRFU being overly cautious, or has England got it right ie playing one game per week is not a big ask for £500K plus?
It cascades down to provincial rugby and ticket prices. Why are we paying to watch "non intetnational" provincial players while the contracted "stars " are sitting at home watching horse racing or doing crochet?
From a player welfare point of view , who has got it right? From a paying supporters point of view, who has got it right?
Not a big issue for Ulster currently ( because of our poor representation in the Ireland team) .........But it might be.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:59 pm Am I missing something?
Nearly all of England international squad played a full 80 minutes for their club sides this weekend.
But nearly all Ireland's squad didn't ( Ringrose and Furlong two noticeable exceptions!!)
Are IRFU being overly cautious, or has England got it right ie playing one game per week is not a big ask for £500K plus?
It cascades down to provincial rugby and ticket prices. Why are we paying to watch "non intetnational" provincial players while the contracted "stars " are sitting at home watching horse racing or doing crochet?
From a player welfare point of view , who has got it right? From a paying supporters point of view, who has got it right?
Not a big issue for Ulster currently ( because of our poor representation in the Ireland team) .........But it might be.
Only bit you're (possibly) missing is that England clubs hold power over the players that Irish provinces don't. English clubs are usually in conflict or a very uneasy truce with (E)RFU, whereas Irish provinces are subservient to IRFU as it is IRFU that largely maintains the provinces' finances. He who pays the piper, calls the tune.....

Whether IRFU over cautious or (E)RFU have got it right prob depends on who's injured at any one time and might be down to luck as much as anything.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right