Player movement

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: Player movement

Post by Dharper »

If u were for instance: Josh Murphy, Scott Penny, Will Connors maybe even Deegan you may have decisions to make re your careers. Conan Doris VdF look pretty much first choice, Ruddock Leavy I very much doubt will move.

We can talk about training but ultimately you need/should need games to stake a claim for Ire. Penny for instance would be 4th choice 8, 3rd choice 7 at Leinster. Connors behind VdF and possibly Leavy if fit.

Whatever the answers UR need to seriously do some planning. I doubt Irfu will allow 2 NIQ backrows.....and the clock is ticking with Reidy and Jordi. Rea is not part of the solution for me unfortunately, squad player.

I’m surprised there isnt more “loan” movement between provinces, say for a season.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:31 pm Snipe
Ulster have at least 4 players worthy of selection Henderson Stockdale, Baloucoune, Herring. and pressing hard Timoney, McCloskey Cooney , and Addison
Henderson and Herring are worthy of selection in the 23. Baloucoune is worthy of development time in the 23 depending on who the opposition is. Stockdale on current form is nowhere near selection, unfortunately. Timoney may well push his way into contention - time will tell, and Addison is a fine talent who has been unfortunate with injuries, and his international career may be behind him now because of that. Cooney has been ill-considered and poorly treated in the recent past, but given that, I'm afraid his international career is over.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Cooney would have had a few Irish caps but for the fact the out half he was meant to play with and who should now have the 10 Jersey got a kick in the Google’s for one text message and a photo sent on social media ,

Did ever a sentence out weight the crime like it
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:05 pm Cooney would have had a few Irish caps but for the fact the out half he was meant to play with and who should now have the 10 Jersey got a kick in the Google’s for one text message and a photo sent on social media ,

Sexton and Cooney don't jive. Sexton is the golden child ergo Cooney's face doesn't fit.
Bogbunny
Initiate

Post by Bogbunny »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:39 pm
rumncoke wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:05 pm Cooney would have had a few Irish caps but for the fact the out half he was meant to play with and who should now have the 10 Jersey got a kick in the Google’s for one text message and a photo sent on social media ,

Sexton and Cooney don't jive. Sexton is the golden child ergo Cooney's face doesn't fit.
Sexton picks the team, Farrell does what Jonny wants.
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bogbunny wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:01 pm
Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:39 pm

Sexton picks the team, Farrell does what Jonny wants.
Like BOD before him, he is seen as the key cog in the works and probably has too much influence on who his halfback partner is. If I were Farrell, I wouldn't foist Cooney upon Sexton.
This is all still fallout from Jackson Olding affair.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Sexton having that level of influence is of no surprise. Cooney being left out of the 6N squad, however, for a player with zero caps is insulting. A disgusting way for such a good player to be treated.

Farrell out.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/darcy-s ... ey-1226333

Ireland’s loss is hopefully UR gain, if we can keep him.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dharper wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:50 pm https://www.otbsports.com/sport/darcy-s ... ey-1226333

I don't see any reason why John would move away from Ulster. He feels appreciated and likes it here.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Dharper wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:50 pm https://www.otbsports.com/sport/darcy-s ... ey-1226333

Interesting and balanced comments. Seems to think John C's personality is not unlike Sexton's. Probably a fair comment. Scrum Halves and Fly Halves need to be mentally strong and confident in their own physical abilities and ability to read the game well and act instinctively. Clashes are almost inevitable but one or other has to be the boss. Both Sexton and Cooney have shown that they have the ability to be the boss, so from a purely pragmatic point of view, perhaps Cooney should have learned to rein in his instincts more.

My (admitedly ill-informed) opinion resonates with Snipe's. If John hears a fraction of what the supporters are saying about him, he will know that he is very much appreciated here.

In passing, I hope that our bright hope, young Doak, matures well, not allowing his confidence to outrun his ability and experience.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I actually don't believe the creative rivalry played a great part in the clash I would put it down to the fact both are good place kickers .

Sexton in my opinion is not that creative and most of his game is set play -- kick, pass, or wrap around - kicks to predetermined areas -- passes to predetermined receivers and the predetermined wraps, the other factor which sets him apart of course is attitude which can be a double edged sword .

While his execution of these are good the ability is not unique thus I consider Sexton would see his place ( Like RoG before him ) is the result of the reliance of the team on him as a place kicker and another place kicker with similar ability is a threat to his place on the team.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

That was probably a factor Rum.

Incidentally, Sexton’s goal-kicking, like the player himself, seems to have a new lease of life.

There was a time a couple of years ago when he appeared to have his boots on the wrong feet.

He was trying all sorts against Japan and nearly all of them split the posts nicely.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

justinr73 wrote:That was probably a factor Rum.

Incidentally, Sexton’s goal-kicking, like the player himself, seems to have a new lease of life.

There was a time a couple of years ago when he appeared to have his boots on the wrong feet.

He was trying all sorts against Japan and nearly all of them split the posts nicely.
Like all kickers, it is when the pressure is on that that see their real ability. Sextons missed kick against the all blacks to put ireland more than a score clear was a huge miss a few years ago. Be interesting to see how he goes on Saturday if he gets into the same situation.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

If Sexton isn't kicking well he tends to avoid it until he can fix it. A certain drop goal in Paris lives long in the memory. It shows what he can do in clutch situations but even for the best it doesn't always happen.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?