Trip to Northampton

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Trip to Northampton

Post by BR »

Trouble with rival supporters experiences:
I mind back to a Toulouse game at le stadium. We were sat up in a relatively empty stand and me mucker says, "Don't be turning round or making a fuss, but those ST fans beind us are thrown stuff at us!"
I wasn't really prepared for this level of discourtesy at a rugby match, but when i got a chance glanced around to see a group of 7 or 8 lads in their 20s sitting about 7 or 8 empty rows behind us. Me oppo says, "There they go again!" and you see and hear them laughing at us. We werent seeing the joke and certainly we werent going to be intimidated into moving - Not an Inch! Again we heard a slap of something hitting his leather jacket and the gang of hooligans behind laughing. Something was going to have to be said. Again there was a slap and as we turned around to confront them this time we saw the pigeon in the rafters shïting on my mates shoulders and the group of lads pointing at it and laughing at the bunch of drunk paddies too stupid to move out of its way. Time for a gallic shrug of the shïtey shoulders, and a mutual laugh before moving a couple of seats out of the way.

Same game and the final whistle blows heralding Ulster's greatest result on French soil as a last minute goal levelled the scores. ST supporter makes his way around from another area of the stand towards us. Nice bloke coming over to engage with the travelling support thinks I. But, no my 3rd year french eventually recognised that he was angrily enquiring as to how much we had paid the ref. As he got closer to our group he became more aggressive and no amount of difusing body language was helping. There was 1 of him and 7 of us, but then a group his mates came running down the steps, They grabed him and walked him in the other direction, one coming over to shake my hand, apologise and clarify that their friend had whatever the french for a wee want is.

Off hand, I can't thing of any other trouble in the stands of Toulouse :roll:
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:07 am Off hand, I can't thing of any other trouble in the stands of Toulouse :roll:
I know who HWM blames for your inability to thing (sic) of anything ...
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

It’s the Terrace for us.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Everyone still ready to go ?
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Everyone still ready to go ?
I think we have lost a few due to the need for covid testing.

As of now I think that leaves 6, but given the rates of infection, I don't think anyone is counting any bargain buckets.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

www.stoutboys.co.uk
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Still planning to go as long as we're allowed to travel and attend the game...
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Looks like there are a few decent boozers to try.

Any word on which one has been selected as HQ for the weekend?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

The Wig and Pen was the spot the last two times. But it is under new management now.

The TAB for pre/post match refreshments.

The Malt Shovel (opposite the brewery) is/was a great bar - huge variety of beers for those who like that sort of thing.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I’ve never been, bar a visit to Sixfields. Think I had a drink at the ground with a client iirc.

Had my eye on The Malt Shovel, I must admit.

Looks like there’s a big Spoons - could maybe chain HWM to the bar there to keep him safe.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

We'll probably check out the Wig and Pen again, give the new governor the benefit of the doubt. I think it's now owned by the same local chain that has the TAB.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

BR wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:42 am We'll probably check out the Wig and Pen again, give the new governor the benefit of the doubt. I think it's now owned by the same local chain that has the TAB.
Their Website says they still show all the tv games etc.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:03 am
BR wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:42 am We'll probably check out the Wig and Pen again, give the new governor the benefit of the doubt. I think it's now owned by the same local chain that has the TAB.
The W&P?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

BR wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:28 am
The W&P?
Yes, Wig & Pen.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Spotted a few hand pumps too - a couple of beers from St Austell as well as Landlord and Doom Bar.

Someone should probably tell the Ibis to stock up as well.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:39 am
BR wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:28 am
The W&P?
Yes, Wig & Pen.
Aye - It's a good venue, but I guess we won't be using the beer garden so much this time (only trip, I've had to buy sun-cream).

I just worry when a place is bought by a chain (albeit a local one). Richard the previous owner, landlord and chef was a great guy and very hands-on and welcoming. Very often that is lost when there are conflicting priorities. Hope not, and as I say, I'm sure we'll give it a go.
spotted a few hand pumps too
They were CAMRA affiliated - although I think the Malt Shovel had a bigger range.
www.stoutboys.co.uk