Leinster v Ulster Saturday Nov 27th 8pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Leinster v Ulster Saturday Nov 27th 8pm KO

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Your hole Soda! Furlong and Henshaw Leinster 2nds?

We were missing a few ourselves

Addison
Baloucoune
Henderson
Izuchukwu
Madigan
McGrath
Murphy
O'Toole
Roberts
Stockdale
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

How many poaches did Rea and Timoney get and penalties won as a result? We haven't poached ball like that since the Chris Henry days.

Would hazard we won more poach penalties last night than we had in our previous five games this season.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

The difference is when playing Leinster 2nds of late, Ulster have looked very much like Leinster 3rds. Llast night, i would suggest, the Ulster players outplayed the corresponding Leinster player in around 20 out of 23 positions.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Some of the younger ulster players came of age.

Hume, Rea, McCann, Doak, McElroy, lyttle. They’re good players and will be with ulster for a long time to come.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Correct BR. I'm normally the critic in chief, but there was little to pick holes in last night.
I'm really excited about McCann in a couple of years he will be a formidable athletic force. Timoney is also getting after the ball better at the breakdown and with his pace, he can be a real threat.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Also missing Treadwell, Reidy and Marshall, Mattie Rea (possibly).
Bo***cks to Brexit
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Bringing the 2 Irish international back rows off the bench weakened Leinster also
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Also the best 8 in world rugby to come into the side.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It was a tighter game than the scoreline suggests and those posting here will admit.

Yes Ulster played the proper game against Leinster keep possession and avoid penalties don't let Leinster into your 22

The fact is that both sides player a very defensive game for most of the match and defended well but as some have stated the worry is the length of time it took Ulster to score when inside their 22.

That was the best game I have seen McIlroy play in an Ulster shirt -- It maybe that he at long last has realised that skill is not enough you have to have attitude and self belief -- he didn't do the half hearted hop before being tackled.

A nice unexpected win playing a tactical game .

As for Murphy I was sitting watching and waiting for the big bad decision to enable Leinster to win thankfully Hume 's intercept cut the game short before he could award leinster a Penalty into the corner and that my friends is my take on that game.

A good performance which could have gone for nought so so easily -- one whistle away from tears.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

"It was a tighter game than the scoreline suggests and those posting here will admit."

You're talking through your hat man. Did you watch it? Because from my perspective it was a dominant performance in virtually all aspects.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:40 pm It was a tighter game than the scoreline suggests and those posting here will admit. Yes Ulster played the proper game against Leinster keep possession and avoid penalties don't let Leinster into your 22 The fact is that both sides player a very defensive game for most of the match and defended well but as some have stated the worry is the length of time it took Ulster to score when inside their 22. That was the best game I have seen McIlroy play in an Ulster shirt -- It maybe that he at long last has realised that skill is not enough you have to have attitude and self belief -- he didn't do the half hearted hop before being tackled. A nice unexpected win playing a tactical game . As for Murphy I was sitting watching and waiting for the big bad decision to enable Leinster to win thankfully Hume 's intercept cut the game short before he could award leinster a Penalty into the corner and that my friends is my take on that game. A good performance which could have gone for nought so so easily -- one whistle away from tears.

As Brother Snipe has mentioned (more politely than many, I may say), yer talking through yer hat. Ulster were dominant for most of that match and in every every aspect of it. Yes, we didn't score as freely as that dominance maybe deserved, but Leinster haven't been a dominant force in Europe for years now without being able to suck up pressure - and that applies to Leinster 3rd XV , 2nd XV, 1st XV and any combination in between. To "nil" Leinster in the first half didn't happen by luck either, but by hard graft and teamwork (well maybe a little bit of luck - but you know what they say? The harder one practices, the luckier they get).

If Murphy had wanted to award the big bad decision you were waiting for, he had plenty of opportunities during the first 75 minutes. Why would he wait until the last minutes to do so, except that you think he was biased?

I'll tell you for one, that was no biased performance (in either team's favour) and to suggest otherwise does Murphy a gross disservice. I haven't been a big fan of Murphy's in some matches in the past, but I wouldn't suggest any bias against him, and I'm more than happy to acknowledge a good performance from him as I am to moan about a poor one.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Full game now available on BBC i Player for info.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Anyone at the ground able to report on how jack mcgrath looked? Hearing he was part of the warm up and king mentioned he not far away.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

It was a tighter game than the scoreline suggests insofar as it was still in the balance up until the intercept try.
A try which should never have been, only for poor game management by Ulster.
With 2.5' on the clock when you have a scrum advantage, wtf would you box kick possessoon away? Idiocy of the highest order which ultimately denied Leinster a bp.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Exactly my point , Ulster had played a sound tactical game well -- keep possession --avoid penalties keep Leinster out of the 22 but and its a big but they had failed to breach the Leinster defence sufficiently to make the game safe .

They were one penalty from defeat before the intercept because if Leinster had obtained a penalty their game is basically based on pressure in the 22 on the 5 metre line till they score and make no mistake Murphy would have continued the game until they had worn down the Ulster defence.

Yes it was a sound performance but a precarious position to be in at the last minute .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist