Leinster v Ulster Saturday Nov 27th 8pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbievee
Warrior

Re: Leinster v Ulster Saturday Nov 27th 8pm KO

Post by Bobbievee »

Absolutely bloody brilliant!
Hume was MOTM before his intercept, and Reas outstanding.I
Even Billy B had had a kick up the ****
great job all round
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Thought the guys who had been at Ireland camp fronted up really well.

Marcus Rea did well again......in his annual appearance of the season
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

My post
That was a single Rea; just seemed like their were two of them!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
jean valjean wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:14 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Anyone any take on the injury to jones? I didn't see it, but Grumps Junior reckoned he was hit with a no-arms tackled possibly/probably to the head at the same time as someone tackled him low. Thought it worthy of at least a review, but TMO didn't seem to see anything either. No replays of the incident, but wonder was that because it was interpro and Irish officials don't want to be dealing with an Irish red card.You rarely see players cited in these matches either, and I don't expect there to be one this time either, but did friend Murphy miss something, or is Junior talking through his hoop?
I commented above on this. I thought it was a 2 man tackle and the one who went high certainly didn't wrap the arms, more of a body check I thought. Will need to see reply.

That being the case and the fact that Jones received a head injury, it was clearly dangerous and the starting point should be red (assuming contact to the head, but how else did he receive a head injury?), pending any mitigation, but it sounds like there was no mitigation. If Jones was coming down because of a tackle by another player, that doesn't mitigate the second tackler.

Anyway, doubt we'll see or hear anything more about it now. Still better to have won against 15 than 14 and people saying that one incident decided the outcome. Ulster deserved their win, so we will savour it while we can.
Watched it again and it was a head on head clash during the tackle. Should have been looked at by the tmo at the very least. One thing that I didn't pick up was that Jones got up clearly dazed and hit another ruck soon after. The physio literally had to grab him and pull him off the pitch.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Do the coaches know there are two Reas? Why does the wick one keep getting game time?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Curiously, both sides seem to be suffering from the same problems, including line-outs.
Interpro! It was ever so.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:26 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Anyone any take on the injury to jones? I didn't see it, but Grumps Junior reckoned he was hit with a no-arms tackled possibly/probably to the head at the same time as someone tackled him low. Thought it worthy of at least a review, but TMO didn't seem to see anything either. No replays of the incident, but wonder was that because it was interpro and Irish officials don't want to be dealing with an Irish red card.You rarely see players cited in these matches either, and I don't expect there to be one this time either, but did friend Murphy miss something, or is Junior talking through his hoop?
I commented above on this. I thought it was a 2 man tackle and the one who went high certainly didn't wrap the arms, more of a body check I thought. Will need to see reply.
That being the case and the fact that Jones received a head injury, it was clearly dangerous and the starting point should be red (assuming contact to the head, but how else did he receive a head injury?), pending any mitigation, but it sounds like there was no mitigation. If Jones was coming down because of a tackle by another player, that doesn't mitigate the second tackler. Anyway, doubt we'll see or hear anything more about it now. Still better to have won against 15 than 14 and people saying that one incident decided the outcome. Ulster deserved their win, so we will savour it while we can.
Watched it again and it was a head on head clash during the tackle. Should have been looked at by the tmo at the very least. One thing that I didn't pick up was that Jones got up clearly dazed and hit another ruck soon after. The physio literally had to grab him and pull him off the pitch.

Yep - was doing a very credible impression of Bambi on ice - which should have had the TMO looking to see why.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:45 am I think it’s fair to say the travelling support had a good evening. I particularly enjoyed the panic-stricken callow youth calling for back-up as HWM cocked his leg in the direction of the advertising hoarding at the end.

I know who I blame.

The irony is that HWM was there to see history being made - an excellent Ulster performance in Dublin and a win over the Mexicans, but tomorrow .... sorry, today ... he'll probably not even remember it.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:24 am
jean valjean wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:26 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
That being the case and the fact that Jones received a head injury, it was clearly dangerous and the starting point should be red (assuming contact to the head, but how else did he receive a head injury?), pending any mitigation, but it sounds like there was no mitigation. If Jones was coming down because of a tackle by another player, that doesn't mitigate the second tackler. Anyway, doubt we'll see or hear anything more about it now. Still better to have won against 15 than 14 and people saying that one incident decided the outcome. Ulster deserved their win, so we will savour it while we can.
Yep - was doing a very credible impression of Bambi on ice - which should have had the TMO looking to see why.

Just watched it back again myself. It looked very innocuous, so much so I had to rewind several times to spot it, but when I did, it did look like a no-arms tackle/shoulder-charge by Ed Byrne (????) and there was head contact. Nothing malicious in it, but very poor technique, and worthy of censure by the officials to some extent. I'm not sure I would have liked to see him red carded, but in the current climate I have seen players dismissed for lesser offences.
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

For me the negatives were: Carter's lack of carrying prowess; lack of lethality in the redzone; our maul is being worked out by well coached sides.
The positives were: McCann, McIlroy, Marcus is the better Rea and Doak continues his upward trajectory. Isn't it great to have two reliable players at scrumhalf? Hume continues to grow as does Timoney.

If we can bring that level of line speed to every game, we will be feared and the whole team will be greater than the sum of its parts. We'll not always get away with pushing the offside quite so hard, but it was clearly in the plan and worked last night.

It was all as acceptable as the Connacht debacle was unacceptable.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:35 am For me the negatives were: Carter's lack of carrying prowess; lack of lethality in the redzone; our maul is being worked out by well coached sides. The positives were: McCann, McIlroy, Marcus is the better Rea and Doak continues his upward trajectory. Isn't it great to have two reliable players at scrumhalf? Hume continues to grow as does Timoney. If we can bring that level of line speed to every game, we will be feared and the whole team will be greater than the sum of its parts. We'll not always get away with pushing the offside quite so hard, but it was clearly in the plan and worked last night. It was all as acceptable as the Connacht debacle was unacceptable.
Carter's lack of carrying prowess and our lack of lethality in the red zone are still not acceptable.

Carter always looks surprised when someone passes the ball to him.

Our lack of lethality should of course be taken in the context of our opposition who are excellent defenders. Against a lesser side we would have scored more freely than last night, but if we are to become the team we aspire to be, our finishing in the red zone needs to be much better against the better teams as well as the weaker ones. All of the foregoing applies to our maul as much as anything else. we need more than just a great maul in our armoury. That is why our performance in the red zone is not acceptable either.

But yes, all the rest was as acceptable as the Connacht debacle was unacceptable . . . but I'll accept a win in Dublin any day of the week, even if parts were still unacceptable - there's Irish for ye.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Other positives for me
1 - we "nilled" Leinster for 40+ minutes
2 - we restricted them to 1 try in 80 minutes which is a credit to our defence.

Not many teams do either.
I'm not arguing -
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

In the coldlight of dawn we should probably remember that we just about beat Leinster's reserves, tbeir real team being tired after beating the all blacks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

On a couple of occasions tackles were missed, leaving us with one on ones with our last man cover. Had those breaks been made by more dangerous runners, or had the runner had better support, Leinster would have scored. Nothing unusual in that and ifs/ands/pots/pans, but the success of that defensive system will always have a high degree of luck involved. Combining that with that somewhat limited attack, could mean the opposition are in contention more than the territory and possession stats would imply.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Soda wrote:In the coldlight of dawn we should probably remember that we just about beat Leinster's reserves, tbeir real team being tired after beating the all blacks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I'll take any win over them. Leinsters success comes from the strength of their squad, many of whom would be 1st choice at other clubs. We weren't exactly full strength ourselves, with at least 6-7 1st choice missing by my count.