Leinster v Ulster Saturday Nov 27th 8pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Leinster v Ulster Saturday Nov 27th 8pm KO

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:06 pm And I never doubted Frank Murphy for a second ..... BTW, anyone else having problems posting on here? I can't access the full editor, only the "Quick reply"

Okay - just seen the horlix that was made of the site maintenance yesterday ..... ;-)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

What just happened?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Happy days are here again. A good solid win. Only thing to gurn about is not having much to gurn about.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

And the icing ion the cake is a win for Lomndon Irish, with you know who featuring on the BBC website.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59408719
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:37 pm What just happened?
Someone kidnapped Frank Murphy and replaced him with a clone that refereed quite well.

And Ulster learned quickly how to play him better than Leinster did ...

That and a very professional shift by the Ulster boys that Leinster couldn't match for once.
I'm not arguing -
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

He was consistent and fair, especially at the breakdown.

Would be nice if Hume got a go for Ireland, he won't though, because Ringrose
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

solidarity wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:48 pm And the icing ion the cake is a win for Lomndon Irish, with you know who featuring on the BBC website. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59408719
I watched that game this afternoon and Paddy had a very controlling performance in that. Quins probably had more possession, but Irish were much more clinical - the combination of which probably shows in the scoreline, but Irish were worthy of their win.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:52 pm He (Murphy) was consistent and fair, especially at the breakdown.
Consistency is what you want, and I thought he had an excellent game in that regard.

Like any game you can argue against a number of decisions and Ulster got the rub of the green a couple of times, but so did Leinster.

I thought he had as good a game as I've seen from him in quite a while.
I'm not arguing -
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Can't be bothered counting the caps but I reckon that was a much more experienced leinster side than ours. Don't let it be said that was a poor leinster side. They played poorly yes, but on paper should have been strong enough to beat us. Timoney was emmense as was rea when he came on. Credit to Dan for hooking lowry striaght after his mistake, he will have learnt from that. Really enjoyed heaslips humble pie after his dismissive comments before the game.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Anyone any take on the injury to jones?

I didn't see it, but Grumps Junior reckoned he was hit with a no-arms tackled possibly/probably to the head at the same time as someone tackled him low. Thought it worthy of at least a review, but TMO didn't seem to see anything either.

No replays of the incident, but wonder was that because it was interpro and Irish officials don't want to be dealing with an Irish red card.You rarely see players cited in these matches either, and I don't expect there to be one this time either, but did friend Murphy miss something, or is Junior talking through his hoop?
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:58 pm Can't be bothered counting the caps but I reckon that was a much more experienced leinster side than ours. Don't let it be said that was a poor leinster side. They played poorly yes, but on paper should have been strong enough to beat us.
The bookies thought so too, and they are seldom far wrong
I'm not arguing -
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I hear Harry Byrne is amazing
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Anyone any take on the injury to jones?

I didn't see it, but Grumps Junior reckoned he was hit with a no-arms tackled possibly/probably to the head at the same time as someone tackled him low. Thought it worthy of at least a review, but TMO didn't seem to see anything either.

No replays of the incident, but wonder was that because it was interpro and Irish officials don't want to be dealing with an Irish red card.You rarely see players cited in these matches either, and I don't expect there to be one this time either, but did friend Murphy miss something, or is Junior talking through his hoop?
I commented above on this. I thought it was a 2 man tackle and the one who went high certainly didn't wrap the arms, more of a body check I thought. Will need to see reply.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:14 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Anyone any take on the injury to jones? I didn't see it, but Grumps Junior reckoned he was hit with a no-arms tackled possibly/probably to the head at the same time as someone tackled him low. Thought it worthy of at least a review, but TMO didn't seem to see anything either. No replays of the incident, but wonder was that because it was interpro and Irish officials don't want to be dealing with an Irish red card.You rarely see players cited in these matches either, and I don't expect there to be one this time either, but did friend Murphy miss something, or is Junior talking through his hoop?
I commented above on this. I thought it was a 2 man tackle and the one who went high certainly didn't wrap the arms, more of a body check I thought. Will need to see reply.

That being the case and the fact that Jones received a head injury, it was clearly dangerous and the starting point should be red (assuming contact to the head, but how else did he receive a head injury?), pending any mitigation, but it sounds like there was no mitigation. If Jones was coming down because of a tackle by another player, that doesn't mitigate the second tackler.

Anyway, doubt we'll see or hear anything more about it now. Still better to have won against 15 than 14 and people saying that one incident decided the outcome. Ulster deserved their win, so we will savour it while we can.
I'm not arguing -
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I think it’s fair to say the travelling support had a good evening.

I particularly enjoyed the panic-stricken callow youth calling for back-up as HWM cocked his leg in the direction of the advertising hoarding at the end.