Ospreys v Ulster Sat Dec 4th 3pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

germcevoy
Initiate

Re: Ospreys v Ulster Sat Dec 4th 3pm KO

Post by germcevoy »

for dog and ulcer wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:30 pm Referee must have regarded the second half as a new start disregarding the first half warnings to the Ospreys🙄
I always get the impression that the warnings for successive penalties are only ever followed up in cases when an additional infringement happens quite soon after the warning of a team plays 10-15 minutes without being pinged in a similar area of the field (or for the same offence) then refs are happy to reset the warning in effect.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Referee also disregarded the assistant ref when the TMO was reviewing a potential Ulster score. Overconfident and disrespectful. Otherwise known as arrogant. Nothing we need less than another ref of that ilk.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

That was a better Ulster performance than I expected. Could have won. A lot of off the ball thuggery going on from Ospreys not penalised. I thought Doak brought an extra zip into the attack. Cooney seemed slower and could not counter the continual Ospreys interference with the ball on the ground and twice went the wrong way when the Ospreys cover was light. Doak is the in form player. His 78th min crossfield kick was understandable as he was caught with the ball and he would have been the hero if it had worked.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Basically Ulster underestimated the Ospreys -- who exploited an inexperienced Referee --- No scrum, on the opposition Put in, repeats an offence for which they have been penalised. --- unless they are totally stupid -- and I don't think Ulster match the English front row -- whose collective IQ was 100.

The fact is he is he is not the worst referee just young and inexperienced asked to referee a game infant of a welsh crowd.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the the hit on the Ulster front row replayed once

A no arms block -- shoulder to the jaw, on a player without the ball - a red card offence never brought to the reefs attention by the TMO

Was the TMO welsh ???- if so it might explain why he was seldom consulted.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

I would expect a citing from the high tackle to the head of Moore when he was without the ball. If the system works of course.
I would also mention a lack of communication with the ref from Ulster particularly after the Moore incident and during the series of infringements and final warnings given to Ospreys.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Was Moore not the tackler who was taken out by a dummy runner? 9 times out of 10 it is Moore who is penalised for taking a player off the ball. Probably why it wasn't looked at.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

It just felt like Ulster didn't respect the opposition at all. We got into their 22 easy enough and then it seemed like cooney and burns just expected our forwards to continue to trundle in for a try. The forwards also seemed guilty of assuming they would make gain line so kept taking the ball static and not offering lines. You have to be critical of the outside backs too, McIlroy excluded. McIlroy at least offered himself around the park and added a spark any time he got the ball. Baloucoune is too important a player to just sit out on his wing - he needs to be coming into midfield and running lines off the half backs or support lines to the likes of McCloskey. The same goes for Lowry - I thought he was supposed to be pressing his outhalf credentials by offering a playmaking role on the opposite side of midfield rucks but I didn't see that once. I also don't remember him making any passes that brought others into the game. Burns was poor but he had a poor team around him so it can't all be laid at his door.

Having said that we very nearly won it. Timoney's late break had Doak right on his shoulder with an unopposed run into the try line but for whatever reason, Timoney didn't give the pass. Was Doak not screaming for it? He should have been.

Anyway, typical Ulster, sublime one week, pish the next. Chris Hemsworth will certainly add value to the pack so hopefully there are brighter days to come.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I didn't see the game. Looks like the ref/Doak's fault?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Ulster soft underbelly strikes again.... hopefully Thordie can help change that
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Standard Ulster, complete inability to back anything up.

And Burns is still terrible
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

If only we could sign a NIQ flyhalf.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

After last week's criticism, I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Carter's lack of carrying in this game.

It's almost as if he wasn't even there.

Even wee Dave carried better than him this week, albeit the ref told him several times to take the water back off.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

Well that was frustrating to watch.
We seemed to make really good progress with runners hitting the line at pace from the 22 to 5 out; and then seemed to switch to passing to static players who couldn't get through from a standing start. That and the lack of a pass for the couple of line breaks we did make.

After last week, I had hoped that the Connacht game was just a blip. Now I fear the blip was the Leinster game.