Ospreys v Ulster Sat Dec 4th 3pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Ospreys v Ulster Sat Dec 4th 3pm KO

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

That rolling maul just before half time wasn't brought down by Ulster as ref said.

Two Ospreys lay down at the back of it as it approached the try line and brought it down.

Should have been the promised yellow card and at least a penalty, if not another PT.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

1F getting very excited about some of the O's players . . .

Turned into an O's fan???
I'm not arguing -
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:58 pm 1F getting very excited about some of the O's players . . .

He always is pro the other side to try and seem neutral etc.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Neill_M wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:04 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:58 pm 1F getting very excited about some of the O's players . . .

He always is pro the other side to try and seem neutral etc.
Nah, he usually just talks rubbish
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Referee statrted well, but at the end he was losing the run of himself. Didn't know what he was gonna do next.

That said, He didn't make as much of a horlix of it as ulster. From 10-3 up and being dominant and them leaking penalties left right and centre, to losing 13-19 - there's no excuse.
I'm not arguing -
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

When might Billy Burns do something good?
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

That was a match we could have/should have won. Too many changes in the wrong areas cost us! We disrespected the Ospreys!
Hope is not a strategy.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:05 pm That was a match we could have/should have won. Too many changes in the wrong areas cost us! We disrespected the Ospreys!
Yep - and wrong match for a 20yo hooker to make his debut away from home, especially so early in the match replacing a player who isn't first choice either.
I'm not arguing -
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I only saw the second half but the first cmment I heard was about Ulster being dominant in the first half, then I saw the score: 13 - 10 down. Dominated enough of the second half as well but only a penalty to show for it. We got away with it last week but this week things didn't go so well. If you're dominating but not scoring, it means nothing at all.

I'm a bit worried about Doak. His decision making is suspect: a speculative cross kick in the dying minutes? Surely not. I get the feeling he's over-confident. If only he had a supremely experienced, calm and level headed, former international scrum half in his late thirties but still able to play to a high standard, to take him under his wing! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

That was a very inexperienced side and Os had lots of experience and it showed.
Hawkeye
Novice

Post by Hawkeye »

I didn’t get seeing the match. How did Jack McG and Marty M fair when they came on? I thought they would have stabilised the scrum.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:30 pm I didn’t get seeing the match. How did Jack McG and Marty M fair when they came on? I thought they would have stabilised the scrum.
Meh. Marty used as a dummy runner rather than a carrier. His nasty bang to the head is cause for concern. He was seeing stars. jack was pretty gassed pretty quickly I thought. Short of fitness but understandably so given the lengthy lay off.

Where is Madigan?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

germcevoy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:01 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:30 pm I didn’t get seeing the match. How did Jack McG and Marty M fair when they came on? I thought they would have stabilised the scrum.
Meh. Marty used as a dummy runner rather than a carrier. His nasty bang to the head is cause for concern. He was seeing stars. jack was pretty gassed pretty quickly I thought. Short of fitness but understandably so given the lengthy lay off.

Where is Madigan?
Available for selection, not being picked.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

By the time they were both on the ref had decided that any problems with the scrum were Ulster's fault.

To be fair, some probably were, but there was one instance when they got the squeeze on us and our loose side held it's own, but the tight side went backwards and the scrum wheeled. Ref gave penalty to O's for Ulster not driving straight, despite O's being the only ones going forward on one side. Ulster must have been driving in reverse gear.

Once Eric came back on as hooker, referee grilled him about his ability and willingness to play there, having already asked same questions from coaching staff. Not once, but at each of the first couple of scrums, and then he penalised Ulster at just about every one after that.

Comment about Ulster being dominant in first half, but not showing on the scoreboard - just before half time, we had a driving maul that was going steadily over their line when two osprey plays fell to the ground on their own line. Momentum over them brought the maul down and ref said Ulster took it down - scrum Ospreys. Not only should it have been at least a penalty to Ulster, if not a penalty try, but Ospreys were on a final final warning and any penalty in the red zone would see the guilty party see yellow. It was easier for him to penalise Ulster than have another penalty try and yellow card incident. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Neill_M wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:27 pm
germcevoy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:01 pm

Where is Madigan?
Available for selection, not being picked.
Ditto John Andrew???
I'm not arguing -