Clermont v Ulster Saturday Dec 11 5:30pm (UK Time)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Clermont v Ulster Saturday Dec 11 5:30pm (UK Time)

Post by Bart S »

I thought Billy played very well against Leinster but less so in the other recent games. He seems low on confidence to me and it shows with some of his decision making and execution.

Is Billy the best option to start at 10 on Friday night? Yes

Is Billy the best 10 available to Ulster right now? I don’t think anyone can really answer that because no-one else has been given a decent opportunity. That’s my biggest issue about how the 10 situation has been handled over the past season and a bit.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

John_e_boy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:46 pm Re: Lowry at 10 or 15

What happens when Addison comes back. Isn't he the first choice 15 when fit?

I agree that Lowry has been excellent at 15
Unfortunately for the Addison, given his obvious talents, that it is a bit of a waste time talking about him as first choice given his injury record.

The shirt is Lowry's to lose and Addison will need a run of fitness and form to displace him.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

So It Is wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:53 pm
John_e_boy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:46 pm Re: Lowry at 10 or 15

What happens when Addison comes back. Isn't he the first choice 15 when fit?

I agree that Lowry has been excellent at 15
Unfortunately for the Addison, given his obvious talents, that it is a bit of a waste time talking about him as first choice given his injury record.

The shirt is Lowry's to lose and Addison will need a run of fitness and form to displace him.
True although Addison’s current injury was a freak one rather than linked to any previous issues. I still think if he comes back he will become first choice at 15 given his obvious talents.

Right now Lowry is ulster’s best 15 but we have others who can do a job there. If Stockdale and Baloucoune are 2 of the back 3 then even without Lowry we still have Gilroy, Lyttle and McIlroy, so there are opportunities to give Lowry at least some gametime at 10.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

volvo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:52 pm Hi Solids

Full match now on U tube :fleg: :fleg:
Thanks, Volvo. The next hour and a half will be well spent!
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Can’t find it, just loads of stupid live streams. Anyone got links or the search term they used? Ta.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Joe Schmo wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:12 pm

Can’t find it, just loads of stupid live streams. Anyone got links or the search term they used? Ta.
Probably being taken down as fast as they go up
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:17 pm Lowry at out half is not a case of ability it is sadly a case of survivability and those who want him to play out half are putting the needs of the team before the welfare of the player .
Ya think?

Why haven't you mentioned this before? :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Full match was up by a tuber called Euro15 but was taken down within 15 mins by U tube police I copied it but cant get it to upload back to U tube or the forum page, will speak to my resident geke tomorrow at work and see if he can work his unlawful magic :banghead:
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Can’t wait to watch this back tonight. tom kite having to go out for a match.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

A quick question. I see that Ulster had the wee former winner's star above the crest on their shirts. How long have they been wearing this? Have I just not noticed it before?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:21 pm I have outlined why I don't rate him. If you do, go ahead and tell us why. We don't have to agree of course, but perhaps I will learn something from your perspective. I haven't read anyone slagging him off for being not world class, that certainly wasn't my point so I have no response to that.
The impression I get is if someone's not world class, then they're rubbish, which I just don't get.
I presumed you were referring to me when you wrote "You can't make the broad assumption that he must be good because we won".
I never said he was good - I said he was decent. He certainly wasn't bad - we wouldn't have won if he had been. It took a team performance and that includes No10. Of course all that is relative to where you set the benchmark.

I think we are in agreement that we all want a better player than Billy as our first choice 10 - I'm just saying it's not gonna happen and getting behind Billy and pushing him to keep playing his best is better than slagging him off. Let's be honest, if we had him as our #10 understudy, he's probably as good as many teams' backup outhalf and better than some.

That's where I rate him. If you don't rate him at all that's your choice.
I said the parts of his game that I think are poor. He also makes too many mistakes. He was awful against Connacht. I'm not just choosing to say that. I didn't see any defending him. He is capable of good performances but we don't see it enough.

Once again, I don't know who is asserting 'if someone's not world class, then they're rubbish', so I can't help with that.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Ds69
Novice

Post by Ds69 »

solidarity wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:16 pm A quick question. I see that Ulster had the wee former winner's star above the crest on their shirts. How long have they been wearing this? Have I just not noticed it before?
I think the euro shirts always had this
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Great viewing. Cooney, Lowry, Hume, Stu all standouts. Great game management and no hint of folding when Clermont came on strong. Restricted Clermont to two individual scores and defended to a man. Buzzing for Friday night.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

solidarity wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:16 pm A quick question. I see that Ulster had the wee former winner's star above the crest on their shirts. How long have they been wearing this? Have I just not noticed it before?
2020 IIRC

I mind thinking I'd rather have a red hand than a gold star.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Capt

it is and has always been my reason not to play Lowry at 10
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist