New member uncloaking/season so far

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

paddybrown
Novice

New member uncloaking/season so far

Post by paddybrown »

Morning forum. Just introducing myself as a new member. Signed up a few weeks back, waiting for approval, and forgot about it. Then started wondering where my approval was, and whether you were even accepting new members. Finally discovered that my membership had been approved quite promptly, but went into my spam folder for some reason.

Anyway. I've been a casual fan for ages, mostly as a father-son bonding thing. Rugby has always been my dad's game, and I would watch it with him, and he would explain all the things I didn't understand. He moved away at the end of 2019, and I've got more into it since the pandemic - something to occupy my mind under lockdown. One surprising bonus from the pandemic is that, watching all those games on TV with no crowd, I could hear everything the referee said. Plus, I've been watching Squidge Rugby on Youtube. So I understand the game much better now. I reckon I pick up on maybe a third of what the forwards are up to. And this is my first season as a season ticket holder. I still feel a bit like the Arsenal supporter character on the Fast Show sometimes, but I'm getting there.

My thoughts on the team so far this season.

In the forwards, Nick Timoney has been the star of the show so far. Always been a great tackler, covers a lot of ground, now he's making himself felt more in attack as well. He really stood up to be counted last season when Coetzee left, and is looking even better this season. Rob Herring has had some immense performances, and Alan O'Connor just tackles for days. Is it just me, or is Andrew Warwick now preferred to Eric O'Sullivan for the big games? I'm always reassured when I see his name on the teamsheet. And quietly, without many people apparently noticing, David McCann has done a great job at number 8 while waiting for Vermeulen to arrive, and really looks like he belongs there. Vermeulen's 35, I don't imagine we'll have him very long, and he'll need a rest from time to time, so I'm sure McCann will still get games, and after a couple of years learning from the big man, we could have a hell of a player.

In the backs, John Cooney has again reminded us what a great player he is. He's the heartbeat of the team in attack. Like the Dude's rug, he ties the team together. Nathan Doak is the future, and I was as impressed as anyone with him when Cooney was injured, but since he's been back the team have been much better organised in possession. McCloskey and Hume are the best centre partnership in Ireland. Addison's injury was awful, but Mike Lowry's back where he belongs at fullback. I know a lot of people see him as a future out-half, but he's so much more effective (and entertaining) at 15.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: New member uncloaking/season so far

Post by BR »

Welcome Paddy.

Sounds like your aul boy taught you well.

Did he contribute to this forum by any chance? :)

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

I'd be very surprised. He doesn't really do online.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Good to have you with us, Paddy. Be warned though, if you talk too much sense, it won't go down well.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

solidarity wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:40 pm Good to have you with us, Paddy. Be warned though, if you talk too much sense, it won't go down well. :D :D :D
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

solidarity wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:40 pm
solidarity wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:40 pm Good to have you with us, Paddy. Be warned though, if you talk too much sense, it won't go down well. :D :D :D
I'll do my best not to.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

solidarity wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:40 pm Good to have you with us, Paddy. Be warned though, if you talk any sense, it won't go down well.
Fixed :roll:

>EW
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

A little unwelcome update. My dad, Stephen Brown, who introduced me to rugby, died last month, just two months short of his eightieth birthday. I miss him. Going into my second season as a season ticket holder. But it's going to be weird going to Ravenhill this season and not being able to ring him afterwards and moan about the referee.

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Sorry for your loss Paddy.

He'll be there in spirit.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

my condolences Paddy
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Sorry for your loss, mate. I usually go with my dad. Happy to moan about the ref on here with you. We're all experts at it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?