Munster v Ulster Sat Jan 8th 7:35pm KO RTE/Premier Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bayern
Steward

Re: Munster v Ulster Sat Jan 8th 7:35pm KO RTE/Premier Sports

Post by Bayern »

kingofthehill wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:21 pm
StandUp wrote:Do we have ANY outhalf prospects in the academy?
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not a fan of Humph jr. then :lol:
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

I can't believe Burns got a new contract.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Bayern wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:21 pm
StandUp wrote:Do we have ANY outhalf prospects in the academy?
No

not a fan of Humph jr. then :lol:
Nope,Not even close to that level.

Charged down enough in one game to do his whole career.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

What's the story with Madigan?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

germcevoy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:51 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:47 pm O'connor called posts straight away without asking doak, so that was on him. Doak knew he hadn't the distance one a boggy field and couldn't have hit it any better.
Fair call if so. Missed it in real time. Should have taken the corner option after the ref changed the mark.
How close to the corner do you think we would have got - I’m going for five yards closer than the mark!
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:48 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:47 pm O'connor called posts straight away without asking doak, so that was on him. Doak knew he hadn't the distance one a boggy field and couldn't have hit it any better.
Fair call if so. Missed it in real time. Should have taken the corner option after the ref changed the mark.
How close to the corner do you think we would have got - I’m going for five yards closer than the mark!
And then we'd have taken the lineout, ran straight at Beirne and been turned over.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Depends who kicked it. If Burns was kicking for the corner it would have gone over the bar.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Some of the jokes are about as good as Burns’ touch finders.

The serious point is that he’s been generally kicking at right angles every since he was castigated for missing touch for Ireland.

We’ve got a psychologist now, right?
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Sadly also true of BB.l but tactically better odds for me. A chance at a line out maul (even though the line out was iffy) and at very least pinning them back for a few more minutes.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Still wondering why Hume was taken off - even Adamson was questioning it.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

thecrouch wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:50 pm
And then we'd have taken the lineout, ran straight at Beirne and been turned over.
Kick to touch, take another 45 seconds off the clock between kick out and lineout. If won lineout, mauled and taken another 45 seconds off the clock..... worst still in Munsters half.

Hindsight is great, but I don't think my reasoning is far off the mark what 99% of us would have done in same situation.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:22 pm Still wondering why Hume was taken off - even Adamson was questioning it.
BBC reporting Hume and Cooney amongst the injury replacements. A knock supposedly.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Freddie Burns hasnt played for England in 3 years, he could become IQ'd if he wanted...
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:22 am The first turning point in the game was Zebo getting the red -- it ignited a spark in munster who had been giving away penalties needlessly
the second was Cooney walking off the pitch . Before that Cooney had been passing to forwards on a run and thus giving Ulster forward momentum . Thereafter Doak was passing to Players standing still and the pack started to go backwards, and the tactics got lazy instead of trying to work the ball up field Ulster tried to kick it up field in the belief that lacking a winger Munster would be leaving space at the back.

But instead of playing 3 at the back Munster played with 2 full backs lying deep , and with Ulster kicking High and long, giving the full backs all the time in the world to field the ball in side their 22 . Thus making the tactic pointless because the space was not there and the kicks could not be contested.

Any Box kick by Ulster the chasing players were running into a retreating wall in front of the catcher.

Like all referees who hand out a reluctant red card the referee was more interested in penalising the 15 rather than the 14 forgiving Munster coming in from the side at most rucks.

Munster definitely were scared of Lowry and were out to take him out of the game and those who consider playing him at out half should recognise the danger he would face from late tackling such as that of the Munster prop which should have been a yellow at least if not a red -- late high and no arms an invitation to Zebo to repeat the treatment with out being late.
As good a summary as any Rum. I'd add the faltering lineout as a significant problem and a serious lack of leadership.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Bayern wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:26 pm Freddie Burns hasnt played for England in 3 years, he could become IQ'd if he wanted...
Leinster need a good 10 once Janny retires.