Munster v Ulster Sat Jan 8th 7:35pm KO RTE/Premier Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

WestDr
Novice

Re: Munster v Ulster Sat Jan 8th 7:35pm KO RTE/Premier Sports

Post by WestDr »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:34 pm We'd have done better if Burns had been red carded instead of Zebo.
No, we'd have done better if POM hadn't pulled a hamstring in the warm-up.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

WestDr wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:33 pm
Dharper wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:18 pm Haley fielded everything although it helps when 3 Munster forwards block off Gilroy from contestable kicks repeatedly. Why oh why we continually box kicked Munster back the ball I don’t understand, really poor tactics in the last 15.
The Beirne effect ? I.e. not confident that we'd retain the ball in a tackle/a ruck ?
Dharper wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:18 pm Doak kicks longer from hand than both Cooney and burns. Burns was limping with 20 to go, Doak should’ve been line kicking not burns. The lineout was shakey all night…..which prob contributed to the infield kick strategy.
Agreed.
Dharper wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:18 pm McCloskey was the huge miss tonight for me, we soaked too much territory in the tackle whereby him and Hume wouldn’t have done…..giving Munster belief, and decent front foot ball. Farrell was effective because of the above….but Christ he has regressed, had decent hands back in the day.
Agreed again. And perhaps Burns would have had a great deal more confidence in the options outside him. As for Farrell, didn't he (along with Arnold) go south as a result of Olding and Marshall being in the frame ? Farrell seems to have bought fully into the Munster Way. Arnold seems to be bringing the grit and abrasiveness to Connacht.

Munster find themselves back in Rob Penney territory. Do they go twist and for a coach that will encourage a more expansive style of play - with the attendant losses that will entail and fan fury as their expectations of constant victory are not met - or do they stick and get another Saffer and try to bash their way forwards as of old ?

With their money (and more importantly IRFU's money troubles) an expensive coach seems beyond them. But it is an IRFU appointment, not Munster's, although no doubt John Magnier will be asked to help. And then he'll probably try to pick the team as well (judging by what Van Graan has said).
No doubt they'll go to the IRFU with the begging bowl again.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:34 pm We'd have done better if Burns had been red carded instead of Zebo.
Hahaha you’re a bad man😂
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

kingofthehill wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:31 pm
StandUp wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:21 pm
HammerTime wrote:Thank God Cooney is staying an extra year as Doak has a long way to go yet. And to think ppl were saying he should have been in the Ireland squad during the AI. Burns out te fcuk. We're well stocked in the back 3 time to give Lowry another go at 10.
Unfortunately Lowry at 10 is pipe dreams at the minute with Addisons injury. It would suit ulsters game plan to have a lowry at 10. Lowry could be on par with Marcus Smith if given time at 10 IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lowry with some game time at ten would cause defences to freeze as they would be scared of being turned inside out with those dazzling feet, but he needs time to develop his kicking game at 10.
Ulster generally kick from 9 so not really an issue. Billy either passes the ball straight away or kicks aimlessly because he’s not running threat.

The thought of Cooney, Lowry,Stu and Hume would cause havoc to oppositions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Am sure Burns used to run it more as a youngster.

He’s certainly quick enough so not sure what’s gone wrong on that front.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

WestDr wrote:
StandUp wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:58 pm
Crowley and Healey are kids who are just learning their craft but are exciting talents. Burns has been playing at this level for years. Can’t polish a t^rd.
Now you're having a laugh..... as well as being illogical. If Burns was as poor as you say, he wouldn't have been playing at this level for years.
He has been playing poorly at this level for years. He hides behind Cooney and McCloskey. He is always shown up on nights like this.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:49 pm
WestDr wrote:
Crowley and Healey are kids who are just learning their craft but are exciting talents. Burns has been playing at this level for years. Can’t polish a t^rd.
Now you're having a laugh..... as well as being illogical. If Burns was as poor as you say, he wouldn't have been playing at this level for years.
He has been playing poorly at this level for years. He hides behind Cooney and McCloskey. He is always shown up on nights like this.
I reckon I could play 10 between those two and I’m a lot harder to run over.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

WestDr wrote:
Ulster werent allowed to sign Elton Janties and we’re forced to get an IQ 10 by FIRFU when Paddy was f@cked over. The pickings were very, very slim. We ended up with BB. BB hit the jackpot, we didn’t.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:56 pm
WestDr wrote:
I reckon I could play 10 between those two and I’m a lot harder to run over.
Unfortunately BB went to the iHumph school of tackling and the Shergar school of kicking.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Cue Rum'n to arrive on stage now and advise us all why Lowry at out half is not an option defensively :jocolor:

He may have mentioned it.

Since rugby has gone pro we've produced one half back at 9 or 10 capable of playing international rugby consistently. Not counting Humph as he played in amateur era. It's a 25 year problem.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Oh well, at least Munster cancelled my ticket.

Roll on Northampton.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:02 am Cue Rum'n to arrive on stage now and advise us all why Lowry at out half is not an option defensively :jocolor:

He may have mentioned it.

Since rugby has gone pro we've produced one half back at 9 or 10 capable of playing international rugby consistently. Not counting Humph as he played in amateur era. It's a 25 year problem.
Rum’n will be over the moon coz no one made a break on the outside🙄
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Still a lot to learn about winning games
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

ding dong2u wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:34 am Still a lot to learn about winning games
We’ll never win many tight games with Burns at 10, he is lost for ideas whenever McCloskey isn’t there to take his crap passes into contact and make yards.

Some say he had a leg injury, a common theme during a 2nd half when in a tight game when’s he’s at 10 may I say…

He certainly didn’t look too affected when running aimless into dead ends or kicking the ball away. You’re either injured or not in my book.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The first turning point in the game was Zebo getting the red -- it ignited a spark in munster who had been giving away penalties needlessly
the second was Cooney walking off the pitch . Before that Cooney had been passing to forwards on a run and thus giving Ulster forward momentum . Thereafter Doak was passing to Players standing still and the pack started to go backwards, and the tactics got lazy instead of trying to work the ball up field Ulster tried to kick it up field in the belief that lacking a winger Munster would be leaving space at the back.

But instead of playing 3 at the back Munster played with 2 full backs lying deep , and with Ulster kicking High and long, giving the full backs all the time in the world to field the ball in side their 22 . Thus making the tactic pointless because the space was not there and the kicks could not be contested.

Any Box kick by Ulster the chasing players were running into a retreating wall in front of the catcher.

Like all referees who hand out a reluctant red card the referee was more interested in penalising the 15 rather than the 14 forgiving Munster coming in from the side at most rucks.

Munster definitely were scared of Lowry and were out to take him out of the game and those who consider playing him at out half should recognise the danger he would face from late tackling such as that of the Munster prop which should have been a yellow at least if not a red -- late high and no arms an invitation to Zebo to repeat the treatment with out being late.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ulster looked like a team who hadn't played for 3 weeks very ring rusty and an inexperienced centre combination didn't assist the situation
I see little advantage in 15 -14 when the player missing is a wing to get any advantage in attack you must get the ball to your wings and play a wide game Ulster lacked the means to do that with the centre pairing .

The only disadvantage to the team with 14 is really in attack because the options in attack are fewer in the good old bad old days when subs didn't exist any injured player was pushed out to the wing similarly non tackling outhalfs always seemed to line out on the wing when the opposition had the ball .
If your going to get a red card on your team let it be a winger every time a red or yellow card to a forward is much more dangerous
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist