Northampton 16th Jan

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Northampton 16th Jan

Post by StandUp »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:00 pm Ulster team to play Northampton Saints, Heineken Champions Cup Round 3, Sunday 16 January at cinch Stadium at Franklin’s Gardens, kick-off 3.15pm, live on BT Sport:
(15-9) Mike Lowry, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Kieran Treadwell, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Greg Jones, David Shanahan, Ian Madigan, Ben Moxham.
Why the f@ck didn’t we put that team out against munters (barring Cooney)? We might have had some sort of reasonable performance.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

I really hope Hume has recovered from his hamstring and isn’t playing too soon.
I still can’t see Burns or Doak taking the game by the scruff of the neck and directing the team. Hope I’m wrong.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

StandUp wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:26 pm
Neill_M wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:00 pm Ulster team to play Northampton Saints, Heineken Champions Cup Round 3, Sunday 16 January at cinch Stadium at Franklin’s Gardens, kick-off 3.15pm, live on BT Sport:
(15-9) Mike Lowry, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Stewart Moore, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Kieran Treadwell, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Greg Jones, David Shanahan, Ian Madigan, Ben Moxham.
Why the f@ck didn’t we put that team out against munters (barring Cooney)? We might have had some sort of reasonable performance.
M Moore, S Moore and Baloucoune were unavailable.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Big-al wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:44 pm

Madigan also listed as unavailable last week.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Half backs will dictate this game and I know who my money is on to come out on top. Take hendo, cooney and mckloskey out of our team plus being away from home a losing or 4 try bonus is about all I can see happening. As always however I live in hope, SUFTU.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

jean valjean wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:56 pm Half backs will dictate this game and I know who my money is on to come out on top. Take hendo, cooney and mckloskey out of our team plus being away from home a losing or 4 try bonus is about all I can see happening. As always however I live in hope, SUFTU.
Agree, I'd bite your hand of for any bonus point even if the three notable absentees were present. The away win in Clermont was huge.

Potentially should have tucked a few guys up for next weeks home game.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Big-al wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:44 pm

That might be why :lol:
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Bigger is gonna torture us all night. Maybe Timoney can use his speed to pressure him.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

In fairness that would be my first choice backrow. Also probably front row on form. Is Warwick now becoming that grisly, wily old 30+ cute hoor versed in the dark arts of scrummagery..?

The half backs look questionable. Doak should be flawless at this stage but Billy is still young and can learn. The outside backs are very exciting imo.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Dave wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:09 pm In fairness that would be my first choice backrow. Also probably front row on form. Is Warwick now becoming that grisly, wily old 30+ cute hoor versed in the dark arts of scrummagery..?

The half backs look questionable. Doak should be flawless at this stage but Billy is still young and can learn. The outside backs are very exciting imo.
Absolutely agree Dave, assuming you mixed up Doak and Billy in the half backs! I'm delighted to see Hume back and I think he can make an effective partnership with Moore. Moore had a tough gig in his last game but I think he is a player that shows promise. The team just have to adapt and accept that he isn't the barnstorming type of 12 that Big Stu is.

With Madigan on the bench there is a clear indication to BB that he will get the shepherd's crook if he doesn't deliver. Hopefully he responds to that. It's a shame in a sense as I would like to have seen Lowry get a half at 10. I suppose they could put Mads on at 15 and move Lowry to 10 but the much more likely substitution is Mads to 10.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

[quote=allezlesverres post_id=

With Madigan on the bench there is a clear indication to BB that he will get the shepherd's crook if he doesn't deliver.
[/quote]

I do hope that’s the case. He’s had more than enough chances to prove he can deliver.
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Hoping the experienced pack will compliment a very young back line:

Doak (20), Burns (27), McIlroy (21), Moore (22), Hume (23), Baloucoune (24), Lowry (23)

exciting to see more than half of the starting XV coming through the system. Big game for us but arguably they’ve got more to play for which is always dangerous, if we can go and compete without the likes of McGrath, Hendy, Murphy, Cooney, McCloskey, Marshall, Stockdale and Addison that will show how far we’ve come under McF.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Back rows win matches, half backs can influence the points difference and also are able to FUBAR the game.

I don't think Hume was injured greatly last week in so far as he was reluctant to leave the pitch but if he had had a twinge it was a game where all that was needed was a tackler BB and Doak were kicking any possession outside the opposition 22

As stated there was actually nothing wrong with the game plan ( inexperienced combination in the centre ) and a wet ball -- the execution was bad and With Munster blocking chasers on box kicks the ensured they were uncontested.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

I suspect Billy may not actually be fit to go 80 anyway.
Looking forward to hopefully see Hume back at 13, the extra space could pay big dividends. MM back is a big bonus, in a bit of a dog fight.
Young Moore has shown glimpses, Sunday is a big opportunity for him, to show he is a viable option for Dan - there should defo now be enough distribution skills to get that ball wide when opportunity beckons.
Another start for young Marcus, 6/9 mths ago he was a forgotten pup. Hopefully now with a run of games, and at Euro level he grabs that shirt and put the “it’s mine” marker down…..so far so good. There’ll be a lot of pressure on the lineout Sunday - Munster put a clear blueprint out. tom kite kicking to saints back 3 will kill us - their defence isn’t the best. Backrow battle will be huge!!

Ps Charlie Lawson has been booked to sing Frank Sinatra numbers at half time v Clermont - so get practising “my way”.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

allezlesverres wrote:
Dave wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:09 pm In fairness that would be my first choice backrow. Also probably front row on form. Is Warwick now becoming that grisly, wily old 30+ cute hoor versed in the dark arts of scrummagery..?

Absolutely agree Dave, assuming you mixed up Doak and Billy in the half backs! I'm delighted to see Hume back and I think he can make an effective partnership with Moore. Moore had a tough gig in his last game but I think he is a player that shows promise. The team just have to adapt and accept that he isn't the barnstorming type of 12 that Big Stu is.

With Madigan on the bench there is a clear indication to BB that he will get the shepherd's crook if he doesn't deliver. Hopefully he responds to that. It's a shame in a sense as I would like to have seen Lowry get a half at 10. I suppose they could put Mads on at 15 and move Lowry to 10 but the much more likely substitution is Mads to 10.
Billy has ginger hair yeah? Delighted to see Mads back. I think he provides another outlet.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?