Northampton 16th Jan

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Keyboard Warrior
Novice

Re: Northampton 16th Jan

Post by Keyboard Warrior »

Baloucoune is a welcome return but no Cooney or Hume on top of our other absences would be pretty disastrous

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59958061
"Sadly, rugby is now heading the way of soccer, fueled by pitiful websites and the anonymous vitriol of cowards." Tony Ward once again refocusing away from the real problems in Irish Rugby.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Keyboard Warrior wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:25 pm Baloucoune is a welcome return but no Cooney or Hume on top of our other absences would be pretty disastrous

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59958061
Nothing official from Ulster this week yet.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

So who plays centre this weekend? Curtis and Moore (if fit)?
Keyboard Warrior
Novice

Moore and Moxham for me, but feels likely it's Curtis and Moxham barring a miraculous recovery from someone.
"Sadly, rugby is now heading the way of soccer, fueled by pitiful websites and the anonymous vitriol of cowards." Tony Ward once again refocusing away from the real problems in Irish Rugby.
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Will be a tough gig for Ulster in the centre if McCloskey and Hume are out (along with Addison and Marshall). Moore would be the next choice but he was also listed as unavailable for last week, leaving Curtis and Moxham. If Madigan is fit I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing him at 12.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Keyboard Warrior wrote:Moore and Moxham for me, but feels likely it's Curtis and Moxham barring a miraculous recovery from someone.
Moxham might have a future but I wouldn't want to see him at 13 in another major game this season. Curtis has much more experience and hopefully one of hume or Moore will be fit.
As a left field experiment what about baloucoune at 13? We might even see an outside break Image
Keyboard Warrior
Novice

Curtis was remarkably absent at 13 against ospreys, I think he has a future at Ulster but it's 12 rather than 13. There's a big issue for Ulster in those two rescheduled interpros in that we're unlikely to see any player release at centre which is why I think the Moxham at 13 experiment is likely to have more legs.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Keyboard Warrior wrote:Curtis was remarkably absent at 13 against ospreys, I think he has a future at Ulster but it's 12 rather than 13. There's a big issue for Ulster in those two rescheduled interpros in that we're unlikely to see any player release at centre which is why I think the Moxham at 13 experiment is likely to have more legs.
Agree that if curtis plays it must be at 12.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Moxham at 13 looked like a backrower being granted his wish to play in the backline for the craic in a pre-season friendly. He was very one-paced, offering little threat in breaking the line, and frequently approached the line with the ball in one hand making it easy for the defence to press and hit him.

While it would be unfair to bin a player after 1 outing (although his performances on the wing have been fairly average as well), an away European game that could be a close affair is not the time to be playing a rookie at 13. Hume to start if fit obviously but if not either Curtis or Moore would be preferable to Moxham (although Moore's defence ain't great either, at least he offers something in attack).
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

It's hard to feel optimistic about the news that Baloucoune is likely to play given the likelihood he won't get anywhere near the ball. It's hard to believe we are running out of centres, of all positions! Feels like this game is going to be one of those tough games for an ulster fan, the injury list is too just long and includes too many key players.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:23 am
justinr73 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:12 am
He was fit enough to smash and goad Coombes seconds before he was withdrawn.
Hope he cuts that BS out.
Jaysus if he keeps tackling back row forwards into touch he can moon them afterward for all I care.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

thecrouch wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:30 pm
Jaysus if he keeps tackling back row forwards into touch he can moon them afterward for all I care.

I get what you're saying crouchie, I'm all for passion but not goading or mooning (though the wife would approve :lol: ). There was a whaling when Zebo gave Big Mike the salute when scoring for Racing against us.

Rugby is a tough game, I'm all for respect the opposition, even if they do not deserve it. Not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of our own. Appreciate I'm maybe a little behind the times.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:52 pm

I get what you're saying crouchie, I'm all for passion but not goading or mooning (though the wife would approve :lol: ). There was a whaling when Zebo gave Big Mike the salute when scoring for Racing against us.

Rugby is a tough game, I'm all for respect the opposition, even if they do not deserve it. Not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of our own. Appreciate I'm maybe a little behind the times.
I really don't mind a bit of it, we could do with a few more Hume's IMO. Every team needs some unlikeable bar steward in it.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:52 pm

+1 I think we need controlled fire and aggression, not behaving like ballbegs however, there may have been some previous between the two that we didn’t pick up on.
Smashing a player like Coombes into touch is a hell of an achievement and Hume is turning into a hell of a player but no need to be obnoxious.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

I suspect Johann the magnificent wouldn’t approve and might have had a quiet word with Hume.