6 nations 22

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: 6 nations 22

Post by jean valjean »

Jetstream wrote:Balls.ie published their player ratings for the Ireland XV. Only 2 players got the lowest rating of a 4. They were Henderson and Treadwell Herring got a 5. Only two others got a 5 They were Aki and Bealham.

Comment on Henderson was "Some excellent lineout work. It is hard to see what he offers this team outside of the set piece. Very poor defence set for Scotland’s first try. He looks like a yard of the pace at this level at the moment."
Racist Dublin counts.
They don't notice the work in the maul or how every ruck he hits cleans out the opposition perfectly. If the last 2 weeks has helped his fitness for coming back to ulster that's a bonus. There has been a campaign against hendo for a while now with bierne playing well and golden boy Ryan untouchable. Reminds me a bit of what Rory had to put up with for several years.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I think the consensus down here is much more favourable to Henderson than you suggest. He got an 8 out of 10 on The 42.ie which was higher than many of his ream mates.
I have not heard anything negative said about him but don't let me get in the way of the sense of grievance of some.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Those marks of of ten are some of the biggest piles of horse manure in so-called sports journalism - quick and easy copy for a lazy hack.

I'm sure pro sportspeople are counselled never to read them.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Great six nations for the under 20s. With an Ulster captain, I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be any interest on here. The future bodes well for Irish rugby. Welsh rugby, however, in total free fall as they lost in the U 20s to Italy. The Dragons haven't won a game since October. Maybe Georgia should replace Wales in the 6N?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:05 pm Balls.ie published their player ratings for the Ireland XV. Only 2 players got the lowest rating of a 4. They were Henderson and Treadwell Herring got a 5. Only two others got a 5 They were Aki and Bealham.

Comment on Henderson was "Some excellent lineout work. It is hard to see what he offers this team outside of the set piece. Very poor defence set for Scotland’s first try. He looks like a yard of the pace at this level at the moment."
Racist Dublin counts.
Wtf do they know? If they knew what they were talking about, they wouldn’t be writing for those @rseholes.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

Dublin4 wrote:Great six nations for the under 20s. With an Ulster captain, I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be any interest on here.

Dublin4. Please see the thread the under 20s are discussed in - Any news on the academy.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:26 pm Those marks of of ten are some of the biggest piles of horse manure in so-called sports journalism - quick and easy copy for a lazy hack.

I'm sure pro sportspeople are counselled never to read them.
I think most hacks would agree re the manure. As i understand it, they hate them more than we do, especially when they need to be done within 30 minutes of the whistle.

Editors insist on them, because they drive engagement. They are 1 step up from click bait.

If you don't like them, ignore them. Certainly don't quote them.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Surprised by the lack of comment on Barnes and Henderson's straight arm to the jaw by the ball carrier

In my opinion it was definitely a penalty and possible yellow card ( could well have merited a red but Henderson's was upright when trying to make a tackle.

The law states you can not strike a play with fist, arm elbow head or knees

the only permissible defence a ball carrier has is a hand off

If i'm ever up for assault I want Barnes as my Barrister If am ever assaulted I hope he is not the judge
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:24 am Surprised by the lack of comment on Barnes and Henderson's straight arm to the jaw by the ball carrier

In my opinion it was definitely a penalty and possible yellow card ( could well have merited a red but Henderson's was upright when trying to make a tackle.

The law states you can not strike a play with fist, arm elbow head or knees

the only permissible defence a ball carrier has is a hand off

If i'm ever up for assault I want Barnes as my Barrister If am ever assaulted I hope he is not the judge
The TMO seemed keen enough to penalise.

The key for Barnes seemed to be that Schoeman had both arms wrapped around the ball.

Have to say, Barnes communication with the TMO was excellent. The wee Scots girl should take note.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

If Barnes thought Schoeman's left arm was round the ball, he was living in dreamland!. It was a clear forearm to the face and, in addition, Schoeman actually drove up at him, even though Hendy's knees were bent. Probably not dangerous enough to warrant a red but a cast-iron yellow for me. I remember Warwick getting a red card for something very similar and certainly no worse.
Bo***cks to Brexit
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

rocky wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:49 am If Barnes thought Schoeman's left arm was round the ball, he was living in dreamland!. It was a clear forearm to the face and, in addition, Schoeman actually drove up at him, even though Hendy's knees were bent. Probably not dangerous enough to warrant a red but a cast-iron yellow for me. I remember Warwick getting a red card for something very similar and certainly no worse.
Um, both Schoeman's arms were round the ball..... I would say that a player is entitled to protect the ball, but there's protecting the ball, and how you go about it. Schoeman was probably also looking not to be wrapped up in a choke tackle.

It goes to show, once again, how the actions of a player in possession of the ball are treated compared to a player without the ball. Think how differently that would have been dealt with if Hendo was holding the ball prior to passing and Schoeman had tackled him in that manner. A massive punch-up followed by lots of cards, red and yellow, and a lengthy ban for Schoeman. Amazed Hendo shrugged it off as he did - he'll have a fairly sore neck I'd say. Think next time we'll see him is in Toulouse anyway.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The laws of the game say you can not strike a player with your arm

applying an arm to a players throat or face is not protecting the ball it is striking a player with the arm

It thus shows referees fail apply the laws if the law does not suit their purpose

Barnes had no interest in penalising Scotland and was only interested in maintaining a lie that he had missed foul and dangerous play .

For a man of the law to fail to recognise assault and punish it defies understanding.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

It seems pretty clear to me that you can hold the ball AND use the same arm to 'attack' the defender. So, 'he was holding the ball' is no defence at all. Running at speed and deliberately raising your arm to the defender's throat/chin is potentially catastrophic. However, if that's what the law states and, legally, the ref has no choice, then the law is an ass.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

solidarity wrote:It seems pretty clear to me that you can hold the ball AND use the same arm to 'attack' the defender. So, 'he was holding the ball' is no defence at all. Running at speed and deliberately raising your arm to the defender's throat/chin is potentially catastrophic. However, if that's what the law states and, legally, the ref has no choice, then the law is an ass.
Agree with this. Most players attempt to protect the ball going into contact. Schoeman was intent on using his forearms (aka elbows) to take the hit. Referees are looking for 'separation ' of the arms from the body in a striking motion but a forearm/elbow raised to the throat with no separation is still dangerous play. Stockdale had a period of taking contact in a similar way and I always winched when he did so. If hendo had taken a bad knock and stayed down I doubt Barnes would have dismissed it so easily.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

If those who make the laws wish to make the game safer then all that is required is the recognition that the only allowable defence against a tackle is a HANDOFF -- the ball carrier CANNOT STRIKE a would be tackler WITH a FIST FOREARM HEAD OR SHOULDER

How is lawful for a ball carrier to protect the ball if the laws require him to release it when tackled ?