Ulster v Clermont Sat Jan 22 5:30pm BT Sport 3

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Ivor
Novice

Re: Ulster v Clermont Sat Jan 22 5:30pm BT Sport 3

Post by Sir Ivor »

Hello all, second post (orig version disappeared somewhere)
Found a match prog for 12/11/11 for match against Clermont. I was obviously there but don’t remember the score - wonder is it still available on video. Anyway the teams looked impressive (possibly better than current) so here they are

Danielli, Trimble, Cave, Wallace, Gilroy, I Humph, P Marshall
Court, Best, Afoa, Muller, Tuohy, Ferris, Wannenburg, Henry

Byrne, Sivivatu, rougerie, King, Malzieu, Skrela, Parra
Faure, Kayser, Zirakashvili, Pierre, Hines, Bonnaire, Vosloo, Elvis Vermeulen

Could someone advise the score pse?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Sir Ivor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:34 pm Hello all, second post (orig version disappeared somewhere)
Found a match prog for 12/11/11 for match against Clermont. I was obviously there but don’t remember the score - wonder is it still available on video. Anyway the teams looked impressive (possibly better than current) so here they are

Was that the home game? If so i think ulster won narrowly with I humph making a significant contribution and maybe Afoa's debut when he came over early to help out (mind you he left a lot earlier as well). We were looking ropey beforehand - maybe even lost at home to Treviso?

Then again I could be talking ballix....like the current Clermont head honcho
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Sir Ivor wrote:Hello all, second post (orig version disappeared somewhere)

https://youtu.be/r8mIO5m_WZk

Enjoy
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

Thanks for the link Jean - watched it again - boy were Ulster loose in that match. p, Rory and the back row were great.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

That was a fantastic game. Clermont fans were fantastic.

Did Munster play earlier than us that day and the game went on about 10mins extra and then ROG with a drop goal?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

damianmcr wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:09 am That was a fantastic game. Clermont fans were fantastic.

Did Munster play earlier than us that day and the game went on about 10mins extra and then ROG with a drop goal?
Ulster game was 3:40pm and Munster game at 6pm. Remember watching Munster Saints in the Big House with that ROG drop goal.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

That was one of my favourite match days at Ravenhill. The Clermont fans were memorably good fun. They've been my favoured french team ever since. I hope theres a good few of them over tomorrow.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Sir Ivor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:34 pm Hello all, second post (orig version disappeared somewhere)

Haven't seen the teams yet, obviously, but if we have the same 23 as last week (Gilroy isn't playing and Vermeulen is), then I think the only survivor from that encounter would be our number 8, with him playing on the other team.
Ringer
Novice

Post by Ringer »

The Vermeulen on the Clermont team was Elvis. Duane was still at Western Province/Stormers back in 2011. I would expect Parra to make the 23 for Clermont tomorrow.

I remember Ulster being very lucky to come out on top that day. Adam D'Arcy and Ian Humphreys pulled a rabbit out of a hat. Was Pienaar injured?

Ulster did indeed lose at home to Treviso in October 2011 in a league game played during the World Cup. Payne ruptured his achilles to top the night off.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

https://twitter.com/RavenhillRoar/statu ... 98758?s=20

ASM 23 - it is a picture etc, don't know how to post it.

Last edited by fermain on Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added tags
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ulster team to play ASM Clermont Auvergne, Heineken Champions Cup Round 4, Saturday 22 January at Kingspan Stadium, kick-off 5.30pm, live on BT Sport:
(15-9) Mike Lowry, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Angus Curtis, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Kieran Treadwell, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: John Andrew, Jack McGrath, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Greg Jones, David Shanahan, Ben Moxham, Craig Gilroy.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I have two Terrace tickets if anyone is interested?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

No Moore in the centre is a loss but if curtis makes his tackles and links well we should be ok. They've packed the bench so obviously waiting to see how they stand during the game. Will be another close game I reckon.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ulster team to play ASM Clermont Auvergne, Heineken Champions Cup Round 4, Saturday 22 January at Kingspan Stadium, kick-off 5.30pm, live on BT Sport:
(15-9) Mike Lowry, Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Angus Curtis, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Kieran Treadwell, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: Brad Roberts, Jack McGrath, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Greg Jones, David Shanahan, Ben Moxham, Craig Gilroy.

Roberts in for Andrew. Admin error.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Ringer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:48 pm The Vermeulen on the Clermont team was Elvis. Duane was still at Western Province/Stormers back in 2011. I would expect Parra to make the 23 for Clermont tomorrow.
Live and learn. I'd forgotten about Parra and to be honest, just saw Vermeulen on their team sheet at 8 and assumed.