Ulster v Clermont Sat Jan 22 5:30pm BT Sport 3

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

paddybrown
Novice

Re: Ulster v Clermont Sat Jan 22 5:30pm BT Sport 3

Post by paddybrown »

Wow. Came so close to throwing that away. I agree with solidarity, once we emptied the bench we evaporated defensively. Not strong enough in depth. The crowd did a great job helping them pull things together and hold out for the win after the third try. Got away with that big style.

But when the first 15 were on, we were excellent. I think Billy Burns can take great confidence out of that. At one point he tried a crossfield kick without a penalty advantage, and it very nearly came off - and he made a difficult conversion after Doak went off. I think he's getting his mojo back.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

:lol: They cant rise up. They might spill the prawn sarnies.
They wouldn’t know the words anyway :lol:
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Don't think its anything to do with the guys coming off the bench, we never put teams away, this is nothing new.

We got away with it last week, didn't get away with it against Munster week before that. Go back to Northampton at home we dominated and they were still in it right up until the last play. Same again away to Clermont we raced into a 17 point lead and let them right back in it. Dominated Leinster for 80 minutes at the RDS and needed an intercept try that if the intercept was missed would have been very costly.

Its depressing seeing guys being singled out that had only been on the pitch for last 10 to 15 minutes take the fall for tonights collapse. It's been the story all season. We don't put teams to the sword.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:08 pm What sort of effete ar$eholes occupy the Grandstand these days? Back in the day they would rise as one when "Stand up ..." rang out. Do they put superglue on tje seats? if it's you, hang your f*cking head in shame.
We don't seem to be able to respect goal kickers either.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Who’s fault is it? It’s not the guys who were playing brilliantly for 55 mins.
When Clermont’s bench came on they played better. When our bench came on we fell apart and shipped three tries.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:18 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:08 pm What sort of effete ar$eholes occupy the Grandstand these days? Back in the day they would rise as one when "Stand up ..." rang out. Do they put superglue on tje seats? if it's you, hang your f*cking head in shame.
We don't seem to be able to respect goal kickers either.
Yeah that is really poor behaviour. I do hate that.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

StandUp wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:12 pm :lol: They cant rise up. They might spill the prawn sarnies.
I did invite them to join in when they learned the words.

Anyone know how many phases we went through when we ran the ball from under our own posts and worked our way up field. We lost the ball near their line but their kick was fielded and we went through more phases and ultimately scored a try.

Dunno how many phases in total from our own posts to scoring, but for me it was one of the best team tries I've seen in many a long year. :cheers:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:30 pm
StandUp wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:12 pm :lol: They cant rise up. They might spill the prawn sarnies.
I did invite them to join in when they learned the words.

Anyone know how many phases we went through when we ran the ball from under our own posts and worked our way up field. We lost the ball near their line but their kick was fielded and we went through more phases and ultimately scored a try.

Dunno how many phases in total from our own posts to scoring, but for me it was one of the best team tries I've seen in many a long year. :cheers:
I don’t know how many phases it was. More than my beer goggles can count but I am hoarse because of it.
Seeing Gibbes’ slimy mug being slightly shell shocked was the icing and the cherry. SUFTU
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The silverware is worthless this year, as it was last year. I'll take the home and aways against Saints and Clermont ( who else has done that?) and hopefully give it a lash in the last 16. Job done this season as far as I'm concerned.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Strangely enough I agree. This season has been brilliant learning for all our young guys who are getting better every week.
I am excited about next season. Hopefully less injuries and more competition for places.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

BS it's all to play for. Are you trying to say that beating Clermont and Northampton home and away plus what we'll have to do ... beat Toulouse over two legs, Bordeaux, Leinster and Racing and it would be worthless?? Catch a grip. Yea, The whole thing has been a bit of a debacle but at the end of the day, you can only p!sh with the c0ck you've got.
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

We can't bemoan a lack of strength in depth, have a look at the names on our injury list.

We do have an problem beyond any given match day 23 though.

What I'd like to ask the coach though is "why do you insist on changing a winning team at the crucial stage of each game?"
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Special mention of burns and curtis tonight. I was worried the lack of gametime for Angus would expose him but he did very well and only cramp beat him in the end. Burns showed what he can do and I get the feeling he is as excited as we all are with the talent outside him. The last 10 minutes were a worry but we always knew our bench was a stop gap not game changer. The fact that clermont loaded theirs only exemplified the difference. What I'd give to have hendo, cooney, Addison, McCloskey, Murphy available for the last 16.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:42 pm Special mention of burns and curtis tonight. I was worried the lack of gametime for Angus would expose him but he did very well and only cramp beat him in the end. Burns showed what he can do and I get the feeling he is as excited as we all are with the talent outside him. The last 10 minutes were a worry but we always knew our bench was a stop gap not game changer. The fact that clermont loaded theirs only exemplified the difference. What I'd give to have hendo, cooney, Addison, McCloskey, Murphy available for the last 16.
Angus was surprisingly good tonight and when you figure in his lack of game time, his performance was even better.
For all the grief I’ve been giving Billy, he has had two good games in a row, so he has shown he has ability.
What he needs now is a consistent run of good performances.
Hopefully when Cooney returns, Billy doesn’t lose confidence when John takes the reins again.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

It is becoming a habit that we go for the corner, score in the corner, miss the conversion and then immediately give away a kickable penalty. We have being doing our best to keep other teams in the game when they have no right to be. We were a minute or two away from going in behind at half time after a first half where we should have buried them.

I was worried about their bench and said we'd need a good lead. Glad they didn't start with Penaud. He is some player. That being said I thought 22 points would be way more than enough with 10 minutes to go!

Wee Lowry is a magician. His feet are so fast sometimes the rest of him can't keep up. And he will never shirk putting the head in. Him or Jim for MOTM. Back line generally had a good game. Back row were quiet I thought and took Vermeulen a couple of times to just do the simple thing. I guess with that lead you think mass substitutions are safe enough.

4/4 looked unlikely with the draw and the injuries. The last 10 minutes means we won't be getting carried away either.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.