Ulster v Clermont Sat Jan 22 5:30pm BT Sport 3

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

skiboo
Novice

Re: Ulster v Clermont Sat Jan 22 5:30pm BT Sport 3

Post by skiboo »

Having been on the Ulster roller coaster for more years than I care to remember last night was a microcosm of all of those years elation, excitement, shock, fear and squeaky bum time. We won with well established international players missing and an inexperienced bench,not a weak bench, as many of the young players we have serving up the rugby we now delight in were once the inexperienced benchers. We have been told by management and others about the skill base of young players coming through the system let’s have faith and encourage after all how would other teams have managed with so many core internationals missing for major tournaments.
Finally I with others have been critical of Billy Burns in the past but last night he was targeted by Clermont he took the tackles and played a great game as a passing not a kicking out half. Maybe he has something in him I didn’t see but our coaching team did thus his contract extension?
Looking forward to our next game to see what part of the roller coaster track we are on!!!!
OldMan
Novice

Post by OldMan »

Ulster were leading 17-12 at half time, Clermont got their points due to stupid penalty’s conceded IMO, not through their own endeavour.
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

skiboo wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:41 am Having been on the Ulster roller coaster for more years than I care to remember last night was a microcosm of all of those years elation, excitement, shock, fear and squeaky bum time. We won with well established international players missing and an inexperienced bench,not a weak bench, as many of the young players we have serving up the rugby we now delight in were once the inexperienced benchers. We have been told by management and others about the skill base of young players coming through the system let’s have faith and encourage after all how would other teams have managed with so many core internationals missing for major tournaments.
The replacements that I'm most critical of last night are Carter, Jones and Shanahan. They can hardly be regarded as in inexperienced but by God, they were shocking. Carter's missed tackle in the lead up to Clermont's 1st try was embarrassing for a pro player. He ran passed the ball carrier and flopped onto the ground like a beached whale. For the push over try, he joined the maul in the side where he was never going to have any impact in halting the drive. Shanahan plundered at the back of every ruck waving his arms and looking all around him like a school kid having his dinner money stolen. Just get the feckin ball out ffs :banghead:
The "inexperienced" players were a joy to watch. Doak, Curtis, McIlroy., Rea, Baloucoune and Lowry had fantastic games. Some of the guys who joined later should get a huge boot up the Brennan tomorrow in training.
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

A soul restoring 50 minutes sitting back whiskey in hand ( I'm meant to be off the alcohol at the moment Medically ) relaxed and then what was a well won game was nearly lost . Clermont looked out on their feet hoping a muscular wing could break through when suddenly they spring back 3 trys in nearly the same amount of the in minutes .

It was nearly time for another the only saving grace I give the forwards was after the third try they got together with two minutes to go and decided what they needed to do and did it -- stuck the ball up the jersey and ensure they didn't give a penalty so for the last two minutes thanks you subs --- but sitting waiting for a penalty to given was sore on the buttocks.

It was proof positive of why subs shouldn't hold tackle bags --- they should be hitting them ---especially during the match .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

eeyore wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:09 am
skiboo wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:41 am Having been on the Ulster roller coaster for more years than I care to remember last night was a microcosm of all of those years elation, excitement, shock, fear and squeaky bum time. We won with well established international players missing and an inexperienced bench,not a weak bench, as many of the young players we have serving up the rugby we now delight in were once the inexperienced benchers. We have been told by management and others about the skill base of young players coming through the system let’s have faith and encourage after all how would other teams have managed with so many core internationals missing for major tournaments.
The replacements that I'm most critical of last night are Carter, Jones and Shanahan. They can hardly be regarded as in inexperienced but by God, they were shocking. Carter's missed tackle in the lead up to Clermont's 1st try was embarrassing for a pro player. He ran passed the ball carrier and flopped onto the ground like a beached whale. For the push over try, he joined the maul in the side where he was never going to have any impact in halting the drive. Shanahan plundered at the back of every ruck waving his arms and looking all around him like a school kid having his dinner money stolen. Just get the feckin ball out ffs :banghead:
The "inexperienced" players were a joy to watch. Doak, Curtis, McIlroy., Rea, Baloucoune and Lowry had fantastic games. Some of the guys who joined later should get a huge boot up the Brennan tomorrow in training.
I can see the logic if bringing fresh forwards on, albeit of lesser ability, but I struggle with subbing Doak in the last 2 games. :scratch:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:53 am I can see the logic if bringing fresh forwards on, albeit of lesser ability, but I struggle with subbing Doak in the last 2 games. :scratch:
My only thoughts on that are that with Cooney injured and the match (presumed) already won, Dan was protecting him.

Why keep him on for any more time than necessary in which he could be injured and then we're down to the bare bones for matches coming up?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:04 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:53 am I can see the logic if bringing fresh forwards on, albeit of lesser ability, but I struggle with subbing Doak in the last 2 games. :scratch:
My only thoughts on that are that with Cooney injured and the match (presumed) already won, Dan was protecting him.

Why keep him on for any more time than necessary in which he could be injured and then we're down to the bare bones for matches coming up? :lol:
Fair point but what all those SHs that Austin Healey was going on about last week? :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:16 pm

Why keep him on for any more time than necessary in which he could be injured and then we're down to the bare bones for matches coming up? :lol:
Fair point but what all those SHs that Austin Healey was going on about last week? :lol:
Good question. I didn't hear him going on about SHs last week - I try not to hear him any time - but I found myself agreeing with him on the Quins v Castres match the other night when Mike Adamson had a disaster reffing, and cost Castres the game and qualification for the round of 16.

I've been trying to console myself by thinking that it's him that's agreeing with me, but it just seems wrong to think the same as him. I feel unclean.
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:17 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:16 pm

Good question. I didn't hear him going on about SHs last week - I try not to hear him any time - but I found myself agreeing with him on the Quins v Castres match the other night when Mike Adamson had a disaster reffing, and cost Castres the game and qualification for the round of 16.

I've been trying to console myself by thinking that it's him that's agreeing with me, but it just seems wrong to think the same as him. I feel unclean.
He said Doak might have to leave Ulster because there were too many SHs impeding his progress here :lol:
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:32 pm He said Doak might have to leave Ulster because there were too many SHs impeding his progress here :lol:
Cheers for that.

The status quo has been restored. :cheers:

Healey talks cr@p

I feel clean again . . . even if that was last week and he agreed with me this week! Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
I'm not arguing -
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Think Ulster have played 7 games since the Connacht debacle with a 5-2 win/loss ratio which overall is pretty decent albeit the 2 league defeats make things tight.

I think ulster have been the dominant team in those 7 games which is very positive and would have been an unlikely scenario even a year or so ago. We have hardened as a team and now pose much more of a threat.

The inability to make this really count has been evident by the close finishes we have had when winning or defeats . In 6/7 we should gave been further ahead and then the complexion changed after some late scoring by the opposition.

Last night was different as for once we built a decent lead of more than 3 converted tries. The concern here was the inability to protect such a big lead whereas the problem in the others was not creating a big enough lead to reflect our dominance in the first place.

Similar ending but different stories.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I think I'm right in saying that in our six previous matches the opposition have been the team to finish with the last score. Maybe not Clermont away, but we did give up a 17-0 lead there.

Would be intesting to know how many points we scored versus conceding in the last quarter of those games.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I enjoyed the game
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor