Ulster v Scarlets Friday 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Scarlets Friday 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1

Post by big mervyn »

Why did we kick for the corner with 10 mins left, a TBP secured and a 12 point lead? :scratch:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:58 pm Why did we kick for the corner with 10 mins left, a TBP secured and a 12 point lead? :scratch:
Beats me. No more match point to be gained by us and a 3 pointer heaps more pressure on the oppo
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

StandUp wrote:Sexton’s acceleration is outrageous. Give him some game time against Dragons.
I wonder will Gilroy be facing a ban???
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Scarlets were offside (player in front of the kicker) while playing a knock on advantage. Ref went back for their scrum. Does the penalty offence not overrule their advantage or did I miss something?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Dave wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:03 pm
StandUp wrote:Sexton’s acceleration is outrageous. Give him some game time against Dragons.
As horrendous as it was I can't see how they can take action retrospectively. If the sanction starts at a red and there are mitigants then it comes down to a yellow. By letter of the law a yellow is likely the right call but then again you do see less harsh tackles go for red cards. Who'd be a ref.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:58 pm Why did we kick for the corner with 10 mins left, a TBP secured and a 12 point lead? :scratch:
Totally agree with your frustration there merv I was roaring at the TV on that one. Chance to take us past 2 tries with no appreciable benefit from the maul option. I like Al o Connor but we need a bit more nous in those moments. (There was also no complaint about the high shot on moore or on a lot of off sides by the scarlets. I want a bit more smarts from our capt.)

Burns was a fair shout for MOTM but I had Duane personally. He went through an almighty amount of work, and tidied up a lot of messy situations. Honourable mentions to curtis, doak and mcilroy. I'm not saying anything else about moxham other than it was another hard day at the office for him. Hopefully he will be better for it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

germcevoy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:06 pm
As horrendous as it was I can't see how they can take action retrospectively. If the sanction starts at a red and there are mitigants then it comes down to a yellow. By letter of the law a yellow is likely the right call but then again you do see less harsh tackles go for red cards. Who'd be a ref.
I thought Gilroy was a bit unlucky. It looked bad but it was a big slip by the Scarlets lad that caused the contact.
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

allezlesverres wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:07 pm
Totally agree with your frustration there merv I was roaring at the TV on that one. Chance to take us past 2 tries with no appreciable benefit from the maul option. I like Al o Connor but we need a bit more nous in those moments. (There was also no complaint about the high shot on moore or on a lot of off sides by the scarlets. I want a bit more smarts from our capt.)

Burns was a fair shout for MOTM but I had Duane personally. He went through an almighty amount of work, and tidied up a lot of messy situations. Honourable mentions to curtis, doak and mcilroy. I'm not saying anything else about moxham other than it was another hard day at the office for him. Hopefully he will be better for it.
Agree re: Duane as motm and for the same reasons. Coetzee may have made for flash carries but Duane's are the hard yards
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
germcevoy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:06 pm
I thought Gilroy was a bit unlucky. It looked bad but it was a big slip by the Scarlets lad that caused the contact.
These citing panels are a bit of hatchet job. If it gets cited. For me the issue is when the player turns the shoulder into the incoming player being tackled. Literally anything could happen.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

allezlesverres wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:07 pm I like Al o Connor but we need a bit more nous in those moments. (There was also no complaint about the high shot on moore or on a lot of off sides by the scarlets. I want a bit more smarts from our capt.)
Not sure if you were watching on TV or at the ground, but from the terrace you could see Alan O'Connor was talking to the ref while Marty was receiving treatment, and it looked to me like he was complaining about the incident that caused it, but ref wasn't interested. Crowd couldn't believe the TMO went back to the Gilroy incident (which was fair enough), but totally ignored the Moore one (which wasn't).
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Given that Zebo not only had his red card overturned but was told it wasn't even foul play, I think if Gilroy is cited they'll probably give him a good conduct medal and insist he plays in the next game.

I'm just amazed that Lowry wasn't cited for viciously head-butting Zebo's shoulder after that match.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

Doak’s dink was excellent but how the hell did Gilroy know it was coming when he ran through to gather it? Serious link up play.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

germcevoy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:49 pm Doak’s dink was excellent but how the hell did Gilroy know it was coming when he ran through to gather it? Serious link up play.
Gilroy has scored some great poacher's trys this season. He's edging close to Trimble's record.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

allezlesverres wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:26 pm Good point bogbunny, it's quare windy alright.
Was worried about my spare pint at times.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

BBC are calling this match a 'dogged' display by Ulster. I think that's generous. Two or three tries thrown away by Scarlets' handling errors.
In attack, why do we, so often, take the ball standing still?