Ulster v Scarlets Friday 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Scarlets Friday 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1

Post by justinr73 »

Think Eric checked his phone after receiving the ball a couple of times.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:44 pm
allezlesverres wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:07 pm
Not sure if you were watching on TV or at the ground, but from the terrace you could see Alan O'Connor was talking to the ref while Marty was receiving treatment, and it looked to me like he was complaining about the incident that caused it, but ref wasn't interested. Crowd couldn't believe the TMO went back to the Gilroy incident (which was fair enough), but totally ignored the Moore one (which wasn't).
Cheers cap. I was on TV tonight so didn't see that.

Re gilroy, I think he should be OK on the citing front. The citing commissioner is unlikely to say the ref got that wrong. It was a sensible analysis by the ref, there was a big change in height last minute. Unrelated but after he scored doaks chip he mouthed something along the lines of what the f was that. Looked like a fun moment for them, they were having a but of a laugh at it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:16 am BBC are calling this match a 'dogged' display by Ulster. I think that's generous. Two or three tries thrown away by Scarlets' handling errors.
In attack, why do we, so often, take the ball standing still?
There were two shocking knock-ons when they were "in" in Ulster's 22 plus Jones' intercept. Easier to score all 3 from where I was standing
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:03 pm
StandUp wrote:Sexton’s acceleration is outrageous. Give him some game time against Dragons.
I wonder will Gilroy be facing a ban???
Given that Zebo not only had his red card overturned but was told it wasn't even foul play, I think if Gilroy is cited they'll probably give him a good conduct medal and insist he plays in the next game.

I'm just amazed that Lowry wasn't cited for viciously head-butting Zebo's shoulder after that match.
It's a conspiracy against us.

The irfu.
Refs.
TMO.
KGB.
The illuminati.
Vaccines.

They are all involved. I expect Sue Gray's report to finger us too.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:35 am
solidarity wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:16 am BBC are calling this match a 'dogged' display by Ulster. I think that's generous. Two or three tries thrown away by Scarlets' handling errors.
There were two shocking knock-ons when they were "in" in Ulster's 22 plus Jones' intercept. Easier to score all 3 from where I was standing
Aye, forgot about the intercept. Looked like he could see the pass coming and hung around waiting for it.

By the way, great to see Burns developing a bit of a running game over the past few weeks. Doesn't look brilliant yet but at least it gives defences a it more to think about.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

solidarity wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:45 am
big mervyn wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:35 am
Aye, forgot about the intercept. Looked like he could see the pass coming and hung around waiting for it.

By the way, great to see Burns developing a bit of a running game over the past few weeks. Doesn't look brilliant yet but at least it gives defences a it more to think about.
He must have been reading the forum.

Good lad Billy.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Very obvious Cooneys absence and Burns upturn are linked.

We're playing from 10 rather than 9 at present.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:41 am It's a conspiracy against us.

The irfu.
Refs.
TMO.
KGB.
The illuminati.
Vaccines.

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:36 am We're playing from 10 rather than 9 at present.
Playing from 10, partying from 10 or a work event at 10?
That is the question.
Sue Gray's report will definitely be citing Billy Burns at Number 10 me thinks. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:41 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:03 pm
StandUp wrote:Sexton’s acceleration is outrageous. Give him some game time against Dragons.
I wonder will Gilroy be facing a ban???
Given that Zebo not only had his red card overturned but was told it wasn't even foul play, I think if Gilroy is cited they'll probably give him a good conduct medal and insist he plays in the next game.

I'm just amazed that Lowry wasn't cited for viciously head-butting Zebo's shoulder after that match.
It's a conspiracy against us.

The irfu.
Refs.
TMO.
KGB.
The illuminati.
Vaccines.

And the Peoples Front of Judea
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Burns running may have more to do with no McCloskey IMHO ie he has less experienced , and smaller inside centres and has been told to avoid man and ball passes as much as possible .

In the first half It took a while to realise Ulster were playing into the wind and exactly how strong it was ( watching on TV ) the wind was a force which in my opinion meant Scarlets knew they needed about a 9 point lead going into the second half and didn't have it.

It might be said Ulster weathered the storm better two things make the game harder for both teams one is wind and the other rain and a sleet storm makes it nearly impossible .

It may not have been the best game ever from Ulster but they won with a backline that was stapled together .

RE Gilroy it was basically a missed timed tackle -- the player was held back and slowed by McIlroy and was dropping and collided into what would have been a reasonable attempted tackle by Kilroy. IMHO the yellow was the right decision although many a referee if the match had been away would have given it a red . ( He might have the fact that Ulster were at home to thank )
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Very obvious Cooneys absence and Burns upturn are linked.

He plays a lot better when he's not kicking or passing.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:31 am

So you're saying you're a big fan of his defence?

Even his biggest critics cannot deny he has been performing well.

Go on, say something positive about his play, it'll do you the world of good. You'll feel better for it. Go on....
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:31 am

So you're saying you're a big fan of his defence?

Even his biggest critics cannot deny he has been performing well.

Go on, say something positive about his play, it'll do you the world of good. You'll feel better for it. Go on....
The last few games he has much improved. Can he maintain this form? I hope so.

Not much praise for Doak ever on this board. I challenge everyone in the same way. It's easier to slate the younglings apparently. Amazing composure from the young man in the last few outings.

It will do everyone good to forgive the sins of the father.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

That’s true, but that might be because people have very high expectations of Doak due to the hype that surrounds him.
As you say he has been hugely composed and been playing unbelievably well. Bodes well for the future and hopefully the name Doak doesn’t hold him back re FIRFU.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:15 pm The last few games he has much improved. Can he maintain this form? I hope so.

Not much praise for Doak ever on this board. I challenge everyone in the same way. It's easier to slate the younglings apparently. Amazing composure from the young man in the last few outings.

It will do everyone good to forgive the sins of the father.
It's the Ulster way (the geographic region) to be negative of people and knock someone off their perch, this is very typical of people in this part of the world. I'm not suggesting the all american route of blowing smoke up everyones behind and high fives all round upon achieving the smallest task is the way to go but we seem to delight in playing down someones achievements or telling them they're buck eejits for following their dreams.

Doak Jnr confidence could be seen as arrogance by some which is nonsense. I'm excited to see him progress. I don't think he comes in for anymore special praise than any of the other youngsters which have made watching Ulster this season a major plus. Expectations of all our Under 23s should be tempered, these guys aren't going to peaked for another 5/6 years.

As for the sins of the father, I don't know what the general Ulster rugby supporter thinks, but it genuinely hasn't crossed my mind. Doaky Snr has been a fantastic servant to Ulster rugby both as a player and a coach. The main head coach role didn't work out for him (was by no means a disaster), for me he has done more than enough to be in credit. Great to see him involved again with the academy, an environment which we all know he excels in, his students will only benefit from him holding the most senior coaching role at Ulster and adding on international coaching experience at Georgia. I for one am delighted he's back in the system.

:fleg: