Dragons away on 20th February.

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Exile in Glos
Novice

Dragons away on 20th February.

Post by Exile in Glos »

Hi all, firstly I thought I’d better introduce myself but my name is Tom or Exile in Glos. I’m a fairly fresh faced fan having only discovered my love for the Ulstermen back when I was over last year for a month for work purposes. It’s great to see a site like this set up, it gives me other to talk to about the lads and save the wife the earache or so she says!

Anyway, I’ve just booked my ticket for the Dragons away on the 20th February given the restrictions have been fully lifted over here now. Really looking forward to it as I wasn’t able to see the lads play when I was over last year like I said previously. As you can imagine, being based in Gloucester it’s not easy getting to games so having that one just 40 minutes down the road is a dream.

If anyone is heading to Rodney Parade for it then it would be great to hear from you and also if there’s any of you who are based over this side then it would be great to connect with you too. All the best! Tom aka Exile in Glos :stout: :stout: :stout:
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dragons away on 20th February.

Post by Neill_M »

The South Wales crew are doing a get together for Ulster fans in the Dodger pub on the match day.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Welcome.
Exile in Glos wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:16 pm ... given the restrictions have been fully lifted over here now.
Just remember you'll still* need covid pass and to wear a mask inside.

[edit to Grumpy-proof] you don't wear the mask internally; you wear it on the outside of your face. But you do so when inside a public building [/Grumpy-proof]

*Subject to changes in the next few weeks, of course.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Welcome to the board Tom. :fleg:

As mentioned above the South Wales URSC are close to you and worth getting in touch.

:red:
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Exile in Glos
Novice

Post by Exile in Glos »

Thanks all for the welcome. I’ve got in touch with the South Wales guys and will be meeting up with them. Very much looking forward to it. Good point on the C19 pass and mask thing, I didn’t think of that. It’s been wiped out in England now so they are no longer needed. Wales of course have their own rules so double checked and you are right, both are required.
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Related question. Also exiled down in Hampshire so taking the boy to the match.

Getting tickets this week so is there any section that the majority of travelling support are allocated? Can’t do standing as littleposter only 9yrs.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

TopPoster wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:06 pm Related question. Also exiled down in Hampshire so taking the boy to the match.

Getting tickets this week so is there any section that the majority of travelling support are allocated? Can’t do standing as littleposter only 9yrs.
Should talk to South Wales Ulster Supporters Group on Facebook re ticket etc.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

TopPoster wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:06 pm Related question. Also exiled down in Hampshire so taking the boy to the match.

Neill's advice re: the South Wales Supporters Group is good. They'll tell you where they normally all sit.

I've watched Ulster at Dave Parade 4 or 5 times and it's defintely not Old Trafford or the Emirates. There's no 'away support' area or 'ticket allocations for away fans' for Pro14/URC matches - or not least as I've ever seen. Where you sit (or stand) is generally (a) where no one else has bought a ticket for, (b) where you might want to sit/stand and (c) the best place to keep dry. Dave Parade is like watching Div 3 or National League - it's real old skool, especially if you sit in the Hazell/Compeed Stand (where I've always sat). The sort of stand where you use a comb if the ball goes on the roof. Good chat, and supporters sanguine about their teams weaknesses. Under the stand (and entry to all the ground actually) is a little ad hoc, but that's the charm (the bar and coffee spot especially). The bars have 'proper' plastic cups - the ones they charge £1 for like at the cricket but then you get to have a souvenir of the day if you want one. The SW UR Supporters may sit on the other (posher) Bisley Stand (the one with the various different coloured seats) but I don't think it's that dry.... The players' tunnel is on the Hazell/Compeed side/corner of the ground so you can get close if you want to see how big Duane Vermeulen really is. The club shop and ticket office (if you're picking them up) is the Bisley Stand side, but there's a door in the fence/wall half-way down Rodney Road and you can cross the grass to get there before going back to the Hazell/Compeed Stand entrance the same way.

If you're driving there, don't try and park around the ground. Take the Newport centre A4042 exit from the M4 (Jn 25a) and then head towards the Kingsway Centre car park. It's in the centre and to the right off the dual carriageway that heads along the river side after the railway bridges and underpasses (right by the swimming pool). 5 minutes off the M4 if that. There's loads of space, especially upstairs and use the corner staircase/exit doors - you'll see loads of Dragons fans doing the same. Parking is cheap, but you pay at the machines in the stairwell at the end of the match and the queue can be a little long - take some £ coins. It's a really short 2 or 3 minute walk across the river footbridge to the ground. Pray the tide is in for the view although I think it affects the pitch dampness myself.

If your maller one might need a feed, then Kingsway Centre isn't too good for food - the McDonalds is on the main High Street. But none of this is far from the ground at all via the foot bridge. The only downside is that the seats in the Compeed/Hazell stand are (apparently) from the old Cardiff Arms Park prior to re-build and the rise is a little small - your boy will probably fit them perfectly. It's a fascinating place to watch and unlike so many modern grounds. Get it while you can and enjoy !
TopPoster
Initiate

Post by TopPoster »

Thanks WestDr, stacks there to take onboard.