F¥cking disgraceful bbc

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: F¥cking disgraceful bbc

Post by Dave »

germcevoy wrote:
What were Ulster to do? Come out in full support of the players in light of their not guilty verdict?
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........YES!!!!!!!!!!

It's called doing the right thing. Anything else is wrong. Case closed.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:46 pm
germcevoy wrote:
What were Ulster to do? Come out in full support of the players in light of their not guilty verdict?
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........YES!!!!!!!!!!

It's called doing the right thing. Anything else is wrong. Case closed.
Very strange that London Irish were able to offer Paddy their full support. How dare they. 🙄
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

I'll declare myself the singular minority amongst present company. You can't stay mad forever but I'll step aside and let you chaps get on with doing just that. Best of luck to you all.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The hottest places in hell reserved for those who remain neutral
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

germcevoy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:22 pm I'll declare myself the singular minority amongst present company. You can't stay mad forever but I'll step aside and let you chaps get on with doing just that. Best of luck to you all.
Wait until you hear what Zebo and Murray got up to. Great bunch of lads though...
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Jackie Brown wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:29 pm
germcevoy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:22 pm I'll declare myself the singular minority amongst present company. You can't stay mad forever but I'll step aside and let you chaps get on with doing just that. Best of luck to you all.
Wait until you hear what Zebo and Murray got up to. Great bunch of lads though...
But they weren’t found guilty of anything!! Oh hang on a minute…….
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

the WhatsApp message by Paddy was "there was a lot of spit!"
I believe that his message and the context in which it was sent demonstrate an appalling attitude towards women. In addition, I think the whole sorry episode showed that the young celebrity players (not just in rugby) had an attitude of entitlement and big-headedness that was also pretty contemptible. The IRFU and the former CEO of the Branch capitulated to some sponsors and the tide of public opinion at the time - the outcome being that they were forced to leave Ireland to continue playing professional rugby.
At the time I had some sympathy for them- but not much, I'm afraid. They deserved to be castigated for what they had done and said, once it was all out in the open. I could not, indeed cannot, find anything to justify their words and actions.
But a number of years have now passed and I find myself asking the question as to how much punishment, in the form of actual exile, is enough? I believe they both have been punished more than enough and that there comes a point in time when they should be forgiven. I think that time has now passed, even though I will never condone what they did and said.
I suspect that Paddy and Stuart will not ever come back here, for any reason and I'm sorry about that
As for the BBC and their cowardly stance, both then and now - utterly disgusting.
Bo***cks to Brexit
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

StandUp wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:29 pm
But they weren’t found guilty of anything!! Oh hang on a minute…….
They also weren't accused of anything.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Oh, this is a true NI board.... whataboutery galore !

So, in that vein, I haven't read anyone complaining on behalf of Ian Madigan not being mentioned too..... and he's got 30 Ireland caps to PJ's 25.... and played in all 2015 RWC matches. Logic, bah to that.

Having seen the programme, it was great to see so much footage of players like Ollie Campbell, Mike Gibson and (a little of) Jack Kyle. I thought (heresy of heresies) that O'Driscoll's words about the late great Jack Kyle were decent.

More generally on who was included, and applying a bit of analysis and thought rather than instant outrage, I did note that nigh on all of the sequences presented of players were from 5/6 Nations matches. These being the ones where BBC NI did not have to pay any rights fees to either Sky, C4, ITV or RTE. The criteria for inclsions did also seem to be those 5 & 6N series where Ireland were either successful (e.g Grand Slams) or memorable matches (e.g. at Croke Park). In 2013, where PJ made his debut and played in 3, Ireland won 1 and finished 5th (hardly glorious). In 2014, where Ireland finished top winning 4 from 5 but no Triple Crown, sharing it with England, he played in 4, but all as a replacement. In 2017, when Ireland finished second winning 3 from 5, he played in 4, starting 2 and as a replacement in 2.

So, using the apparent criteria for inclusion of a match, which one should PJ have been recognised for ? Or is it really because we all think Paddy Wallace shouldn't have got so much air time ?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

His performance in SA was his standout in a green shirt.

Much as I've come to like and Mads, he's not in Paddy's league. He should be sitting on about 60/70 caps right now.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

While I have not seen the whatsapp message itself the word roast was used in press reports .

That said the absence of the word roast would be more in keeping with what I believe was the bawdy humour and dig intended.

Somewhat similar to a claim " yes you looked after my dog " when the guy has gone and shot it by accident .

An event which did happen to a gun dog sent in to lift the birds . But that's huntin shotin and fishin -- sports much followed by Culchies but out of favour and mistakingly considered upper crust.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Actually I think his best was Japan when his kicking record was 100%
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My pet hate is the fact that in reporting the case the papers always say he was acquitted that is the legal term for when a Jury magistrate or Judge find a person not guilty .

The term acquitted gives a field day to those who consider they were guilty but the case was not proven .

The fact is the Jury declared them " NOT GUILTY " the verdict of the jury is non debatable .
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:00 pm His performance in SA was his standout in a green shirt.

Much as I've come to like and Mads, he's not in Paddy's league. He should be sitting on about 60/70 caps right now.
It was a great single performance (the one in Cape Town I assume ?) But BigM, it was in a series Ireland lost 2-1 and shown only via Sky. So it doesn't meet the criteria for inclusion. And, stone the crows, who cares really about a 100% kicking record v Japan - of that great TV is not made.

The issue of whether Mads is better/worse/the same as PJ is neither here nor there in respect of the TV programme being complained about. There are doubtless other players who've been in the no. 10 shirt over the years since Jack Kyle in 1948, since I can't believe that Ireland went straight from Jack Kyle to Mike Gibson, then Ollie Campbell, Tony Ward, Brian Smith, Eric Elwood, David Humphries, Ronan O'Gara, Paddy Wallace, Jonathan Sexton ? I've offered another example in Ian Madigan that the programme makers didn't include every single player who ever wore the Ireland no. 10 shirt. And to provide another, Joey Carbery even played a part at 10 in an Ireland team that actually beat the All Blacks.....

As for PJ, two points I'd make:
  • No one seems to be wanting Stuart Olding back with the same intensity. If I was PJ and was ever offered a role at Ulster or in Ireland, I'd insist that Stuart is offered something too (or at least a fullsome public apology at the same time as any contract for PJ)
  • It isn't Johnnie Petrie's problem, nor is it Dan McF's, nor will it be that of the new CEO of the IRFU. A very useful phrase is "if you think you won't like the answer to the question, don't ask the question". I sincerely doubt it will ever be in anyone's interest to re-visit the issue.
Some of this ire and bile seems nearly as curious as listening to a 2022 Jacobite still longing for the restoration of the Stuarts.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I couldn't give a flying f*ck about so-called criteria. Winker needs a good boot up the hole for producing that steaming pile of keek that I haven't watched
Big Neville Southall