F¥cking disgraceful bbc

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: F¥cking disgraceful bbc

Post by big mervyn »

This is an interesting article. This boy was convicted of rape, albeit in a civil court.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... e-60214769
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

big mervyn wrote:BBC Scotland has an awesome Comedy dept. So does OrTE. Why are we so consistently shyte. Take this place. We are the doyens of witty banter and repartee. >EW Why can't BBCNI do it?

If anybody is going to challenge that, I'll leave you with "There's No Place Like Tyrone".
There are several good comics doing the rounds in NI and also selling out the odyssey. The BEEB don't want to touch them due to the content not being PC enough.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:17 am
WestDr wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:52 pm [.... stone the crows, who cares really about a 100% kicking record v Japan - of that great TV is not made.
Perhaps the percentage kicking record wasn't of much importance, although I do recall it was mentioned once or twice, but I think you will find that 90%+ of the footage shown was of tens kicking the ball - either penalties/conversions, or drop-goal attempts, and much was made of the outcomes - i.e. if successful and match-winning, or missed and cost Ireland a match/triple crown/grand slam.

The Beeb don't seem to think that of that great TV is not made. Of course BBC NI wouldn't know what great TV is given the tripe they produce such as thon Police thing set in Donaghadee, and the Paddy Raff show. They could be done under the trades descriptions act for describing that as comedy. :roll: As licence payers, we don't even get a chance to decide whether to buy it - only the choice not to watch what our money has been wasted on.
Watched Paddy Raff for the 1st time. The BT9 sketch with Nigel was quite good but might struggle to drag it on for a whole series.

Still Game on BBC Scotland was quite good
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Bart S wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:16 pm
Still Game on BBC Scotland was quite good
I'd say better than that Bart.

That's the mark we should be aiming for.

Nothing produced here comes close. I don't care what the masses say. Derry Girls is dire. Decent idea. Not bad writing. The acting and direction however is akin to what you'd see in an AmDram production in a parochial Hall.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Nigel has been around for ages already and is PR’s best character by some distance.

The Christmas special was dire but Friday’s was funny at times.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:32 pm Nigel has been around for ages already and is PR’s best character by some distance.

The Christmas special was dire but Friday’s was funny at times.
Presume you are only allowed to watch our local comedy with subtitles on until you get your Ulster naturalisation certificate ? (on sale at Nutts Corner - three for a pound).
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I’m fine with Nigel.

I do struggle a bit with those documentaries they keep putting on about people who like to spend their downtime sitting in tin cans in the rain though.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:30 pm I don't think Paddy used "roast" if memory serves Rum
IIRC

From the private, encrypted messages which were recoverable and presented in evidence, PJ's offending message was in response to [paraphrasing]
I heard there was spitroast
There was certainly plenty of spit
Implying that no spitroast occured, consistent with the evidence he later presented in relation to the 2nd charge of rape
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:36 am
big mervyn wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:30 pm I don't think Paddy used "roast" if memory serves Rum
IIRC

From the private, encrypted messages which were recoverable and presented in evidence, PJ's offending message was in response to [paraphrasing]
Implying that no spitroast occured, consistent with the evidence he later presented in relation to the 2nd charge of rape
I actually wonder how many people would be offended by that.

I certainly wasn't offended by it . . . but that might have been because I didn't know what it meant. :oops:

Hard to be offended if you don't know that which was sent was offensive. >jawdrop

Perhaps I'm a bit naive in all of this, but I doubt I would be only one that didn't understand the messages. I'm not so naive that I can't try to work out the meaning, but seriously, at first reading I would not have been offended. I also know there are many people in this wee country of ours who will go out of their way just to be offended just so they can complain about it.

I do not condone what was written, but also given they were intended to be private, I fail to see that so many would be offended. I doubt too if they fully define who the players are or what their values are. Since all of this kicked off, I have been made aware that it's not just young men that use this language, and behave in this way, but plenty of young women do so too. Are they misogynistic?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:36 am
IIRC

If my memory serves me correctly, it was also consistent with the forensic evidence gathered soon after the event.

Hence iirc, the reason one or two of the original charges were dropped.

Even before it got to court, it was becoming apparent that the evidence of the accused was consistent, but that of the accuser was inconsistent and story shifted several times as new evidence emerged.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

As you say Grumps, some people desperately try to find something to be offended by, even if they aren’t offended. It gives them something to get on their high horse about as they attempt to find some purpose to their drab, meaningless little existences.
These messages were in poor taste and although they were intended to be private, the level of privacy afforded to celebrities and sportspeople is much lower. The boys should have known better, BUT it was some schoolboy humour and shouldn’t have been blown up like it was.
The clowns who jumped on the bandwagon to persecute them will hopefully reap what they sow also. Karma can be a horrible bitch sometimes.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

According to RSVP live Paddy"s message at 11:17 was "there was a lot of spit roast last night "

If that was not the message then the press are guilty of a serious misquote

Anyway the Police made a horlicks of the investigation expecting the case to be dropped and were then sent by the DDP to dig up evidence to support the accuser's version of events with as much circumstantial evidence as possible eg Taxi driver re interview of Dara and Rory to enable a charge of conspiracy based on Rory and Blane 's messages and thus the introduction of the boys messages .

The conspiracy theory was of course the smoke to hide the lies ( commonly referred to as inconsistencies) of the accused IF it looks like it smells like it tastes like it then bet its bullish-t
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:01 pm According to RSVP live Paddy"s message at 11:17 was "there was a lot of spit roast last night "

If that was not the message then the press are guilty of a serious misquote

Anyway the Police made a horlicks of the investigation expecting the case to be dropped and were then sent by the DDP to dig up evidence to support the accuser's version of events with as much circumstantial evidence as possible eg Taxi driver re interview of Dara and Rory to enable a charge of conspiracy based on Rory and Blane 's messages and thus the introduction of the boys messages .

The conspiracy theory was of course the smoke to hide the lies ( commonly referred to as inconsistencies) of the accused IF it looks like it smells like it tastes like it then bet its bullish-t
The Telegraph, the Daily Mail, the Mirror, the Metro and the Irish Times all reported the quote as “There was a lot of spit” It seems like a more logical response to me than the one above although that was also widely reported, in the Grauniad and BT amongst others, (which means it's almost certainly inaccurate! :lol: ). Today's Press eh? Feckin useless :roll:
Big Neville Southall
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Jaysus Mary and Joseph and the wee scrum half.

Are yiz still discussin them messages? Nobody is ever going to change their view on this, other than some who supported the initial decision now saying they've been punished enough. But that's about as useful to the future outcome as abandoning the TUV to join the DUP.

As for the TV show PJ was never likely to get airtime and in my view, that could be justified given the (heavily curtailed) Ireland career he had. I've no doubt playing wise he would have been included had the whole incident/trial not happened, as Ireland's premier outhalf after the Sexton/Jackson rivalry.

Huge loss for province and country.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Bart S wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:24 pm

As for the TV show PJ was never likely to get airtime and in my view, that could be justified given the (heavily curtailed) Ireland career he had.
Curtailed certainly, but with 25 caps he represented Ireland the same number of times as Barry McCann and 16 times more than Brian Smith - both of whom featured significantly in the programme! It goes without saying that he played No 10 in Green many more times than Paddy Wallace did ( or even should have!).
Hope is not a strategy.