Ulster v Connacht Friday February 4 8:15pm KO BBC2NI / TG4 / Premier Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

scrumncoke
Novice

Re: Ulster v Connacht Friday February 4 8:15pm KO BBC2NI / TG4 / Premier Sports 1

Post by scrumncoke »

eeyore wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:59 pm
scrumncoke wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:55 pm
HammerTime wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:53 pm Moore is a find.
Very impressed. An absolute buzz bomb, lots of energy.

Will only get better.

Really? I think he's been a liability. Given 3 penalties away in crucial positions with white line fever.
Not sure I'd blame him for any of them? :scratch: Possibly one.

What's your reasoning? Being the man left with the ball after our maul fractured doesn't mean he's to blame.

I'd put it down to a lack of cohesion with a lot of differing personnel.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ulster v Connacht Friday February 4 8:15pm KO BBC2NI / TG4 / Premier Sports 1

Post by solidarity »

StandUp wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:59 pm Ritchie McCaw wears Marcus Rea pyjamas.
:lol: :lol: :lol: >appl >appl >appl
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I'll need to see Moore a few more times. He did guive away three penalties, breaking at the wrong time and without making sure he had backup.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Good to see Billy Burns doing some good stuff although not running as much as the last two weeks. Presumably this was planned but I'd like to see him have the odd wee dart, at least to keep defences alert.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:35 pm Mickey Lowry what a run. McIlroy hasn't the pace for this level.
He's certainly got a step to him. Bear in mind that McIlroy injured his ankle early on and it was heavily strapped. Most around me were amazed he continued , let alone came out for the second half.
Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:05 am Whatever the problem is, Billy Burns isn't the answer.

He does a job at provincial level, but Ulster will.win nothing with him at 10. He gets hidden in defence, like iHumph was although his defence is slightly better than the aforementioned. He has zero creativity and looks uncomfortable when given any responsibility.
Defence-wise, Billy burns isn't slightly better - he's light years ahead of iHump.

iHump was little better than a speed-bump, but Billy at least puts his body on the line and isn't afraid to make hard tackles. I'm not saying he's brilliant at that, but give me a player who tries over one who rarely did anytime. Also, it's not his fault he's not PJ.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:21 am Defence-wise, Billy burns isn't slightly better - he's light years ahead of iHump.

iHump was little better than a speed-bump, but Billy at least puts his body on the line and isn't afraid to make hard tackles. I'm not saying he's brilliant at that, but give me a player who tries over one who rarely did anytime. Also, it's not his fault he's not PJ.
Yes, meant to mention this myself, Cap'n. He made some very decent tackles in the middle of the defence.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Just happy to see an Ulster win at home and with the bonus point!
Well done lads, lets make Ravenhill a fortress again and give no quarter!
SUFTUM :red: :D :cheers: :fleg:
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:05 am Whatever the problem is, Billy Burns isn't the answer.

He does a job at provincial level, but Ulster will.win nothing with him at 10. He gets hidden in defence, like iHumph was although his defence is slightly better than the aforementioned. He has zero creativity and looks uncomfortable when given any responsibility.

If Nathan Doak wore blue he'd be starting for Ireland.
Zero creativity? Did you leave before the end?

Shame Sammy ‘The Equalizer’ Arnold is off to France as he’s fun to watch.

I think Lowry is quicker than any one of the thousands I have seen run on grass.

McIlroy managed to butcher the try of the century.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:09 am

If Nathan Doak wore blue he'd be starting for Ireland.
Zero creativity? Did you leave before the end?

Shame Sammy ‘The Equalizer’ Arnold is off to France as he’s fun to watch.

I think Lowry is quicker than any one of the thousands I have seen run on grass.

McIlroy managed to butcher the try of the century.
It was fun watching him get burned by Baloucoune.I enjoyed him making an ar$e of himself v Weegies last week too.

McIlroy was carrying a significant knock. Not sure why Dan kept him on.

Lowry is worth the entrance fee on his own these days.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Must have been a significant knock to his neck or hands to stop him popping it back inside to Mighty Mike!

Arnold lost the run of himself against Glasgow for sure 😆
scrumncoke
Novice

Post by scrumncoke »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:21 am
Dave wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:35 pm Mickey Lowry what a run. McIlroy hasn't the pace for this level.
He's certainly got a step to him. Bear in mind that McIlroy injured his ankle early on and it was heavily strapped. Most around me were amazed he continued , let alone came out for the second half.

Defence-wise, Billy burns isn't slightly better - he's light years ahead of iHump.

>appl

Louis Ludik did just fine without pace. I see a lot of Louis in McIlroy, for 21 years hes so so smart defensively. What he lacks in pace he makes up for in timing. Having said that he's no slouch.

Correct, Burns is extremely brave in defence. The PJ comment very true also.

What's so exciting about our backs is that most have time on their side.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Very enjoyable going to Ravers these days. There was a while before Covid when it was becoming a chore.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I am a McIlroy doubter --- defensively on the wing he is very sound -- his problem is he is never going to score many trys he has a habit of a half step kick when a approaching a tackler which takes away any pace he has -- which is not great in terms of a winger .

Curtis looks more like an inside centre than a Thirteen and seems to think like one as well .

Gilroy unfortunately hit a welsh man ( injured ) unintentionally and plays for Ulster -- Zebo hits an Ulsterman ( who plays on ))Intentionally and plays for Munster. Referee sees mitigation for Gilroy -- referee sees no mitigation for Zebo -- consistency by panels is non-existent .( any other difference has been omitted eg Zero is still an Irish blue eye Gilroy isn't Zebo had his bad deeds accepted Gilroy didn't )

But back to the game it took Balacoune and Lowry to add pace to the Ulster back line and a win is a win with a bonus in a game that was a must win .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

We won but that was hard going at times, it usually is with Andrew Brace in the centre and Connacht time wasting at every opportunity.

McIlroy was injured early on, Lyttle is a better all round player yet had to wait on the bench for 50mins. Weird.

Moore was good but lineouts will need to be worked on, to be expected though.

Why has it taken so long for the good Rea to be given a chance? Another phenomenal performance. Great seeing the angry Duane.

Would love Curtis to get a settled run in one position, his career will suffer being moved about.

If Doak was in blue he'd be starting for Ireland and then would be irreplaceable for 120caps.

As for Burns, he is what he is. I hope he comes good in the end. I'm going to give over about him.

My first game back on the terrace since April 2017. It was nice.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

I like McIlroy. Very dependable, great covering tackler, great under the high ball, good sidestep, doesn't stop running. He wasn't right last night. He might have had a knock, but I'm pretty sure he's started every game this season, and he doesn't get subbed very often, so I think he's just exhausted. Give the lad a rest, Dan! Rob Lyttle can fill in for a game or two.