Dragons v Ulster Sunday February 20th 2pm Premier Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Dragons v Ulster Sunday February 20th 2pm Premier Sports 1

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:14 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:11 am
Neill_M wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:03 pm Elliot Dee is hoping to be no 16 after the Welsh international "served" a two game ban covered by Wales games v Ireland and Scotland even though he was injured. Wales indicated he would have been selected if fit.
Wasn't Craig Gilroy also meant to be playing for Ireland v Wales a couple of weeks ago and in Paris last weekend but wasn't able to because of his ban?

I believe* that is his ban now served and he's eligible for selection this weekend . . . :duck:

* I believe it as much as I believe that Elliot Dee has served his ban while not playing for Wales.
He got a hat-trick in his last outing so why wouldn't he have been selected?
My point entirely. :D
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lurgan Lad wrote:No idea why Sexton isn't starting at this stage
Marcus Rea 2.0?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

No doubt the rank at Ulster will find him not good enough … all speed and no skill. Then he goes to Edinburgh or Glasgow were he becomes a Scottish international and then a B&I Lions legend.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:11 am
Neill_M wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:03 pm Elliot Dee is hoping to be no 16 after the Welsh international "served" a two game ban covered by Wales games v Ireland and Scotland even though he was injured. Wales indicated he would have been selected if fit.
Wasn't Craig Gilroy also meant to be playing for Ireland v Wales a couple of weeks ago and in Paris last weekend but wasn't able to because of his ban?

I believe* that is his ban now served and he's eligible for selection this weekend . . . :duck:

* I believe it as much as I believe that Elliot Dee has served his ban while not playing for Wales.
Not the first time a Welsh region have gone down the "legal" road re the ban rules. Cardiff did it via organising "A" games etc.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Dave wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:04 am
Marcus Rea 2.0?
Agree totally, same age as McElroy, as little as I've seen Sexton surely has a better skill set than Moxham for wing.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Marcus Rea 2.0?
2 potentially important differences :-

- Marcus did very eell on the rare occasions he got which is why no follow up games was always pretty surprising.

- Back row depth during his exclusion period was pretty thin and when you saw Jones and particularly Rea Snr getting so many games without Marcus bring given a real chance , it was always a but of a mystery to me.

Sexton is in a very competitive position and the others have all been playing well. I'd like to see him get an opportunity but he is up against other young guys who MAYBE have a better all round skill set right now.

So it's less of a surprise to me right now than Marcus Rea not getting any games previously but hopefully we'll seehim again soon.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Delighted to see Izzy back, he is a real x-factor player imo, absolutely love watching him play.

I think what counts against Sexton is that while he’s a good footballer (and obviously lightning fast) he sometimes looks a bit naive in defence and backfield coverage - something that mcilroy is superb at. That said while I have no particular beef with Moxham I’m not sure I see exactly what the coaches seem to see in him.. I love watching Sexton, and hope he doesn’t end up getting lost in the pro game
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Sexton's defense can be poor. Well it didn't look great in the 7s. Which of course is not comparative but its more his technique. I'm sure it's being addressed. Some players just need a run of games. Competition is just too tight at present. He's too exciting a prospect to not get a sniff. The lack of A games perhaps is a factor. A competitive space between AIL and URC remains an issue for these young players.

Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Bart S wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:08 pm
Marcus Rea 2.0?

- Marcus did very eell on the rare occasions he got which is why no follow up games was always pretty surprising.

- Back row depth during his exclusion period was pretty thin and when you saw Jones and particularly Rea Snr getting so many games without Marcus bring given a real chance , it was always a but of a mystery to me.

Sexton is in a very competitive position and the others have all been playing well. I'd like to see him get an opportunity but he is up against other young guys who MAYBE have a better all round skill set right now.

So it's less of a surprise to me right now than Marcus Rea not getting any games previously but hopefully we'll seehim again soon.
I totally get what you say, and obviously the coaches see them every day so will have better insight into them than me. I guess to add a difference the other way Rea can only play as an open side, while Sexton can play both wings and I think he has played full back for Malone so potentially there are three positions on the pitch he could play against one. I'm probably a bit impatient because needless to say you can't teach the speed that he has and what that can do to a team and the opposition, but no doubt he has things to work on.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I was worried when he was cut from the last 7s squad where pace is a highly valued commodity. This either means he lacked the fundamentals of the game or was a deemed too much a 15s player (unlikely). I've said before he has a sprinters physique and the time spent devoted to athletics are bound to have delayed his rugby development.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:02 pm
Bart S wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:08 pm
Marcus Rea 2.0?

I totally get what you say, and obviously the coaches see them every day so will have better insight into them than me. I guess to add a difference the other way Rea can only play as an open side, while Sexton can play both wings and I think he has played full back for Malone so potentially there are three positions on the pitch he could play against one. I'm probably a bit impatient because needless to say you can't teach the speed that he has and what that can do to a team and the opposition, but no doubt he has things to work on.
Lurgan lad
A new perspective I have never seen on this forum before. If the coaches have more insight than the "experts" on this forum, then what is this forum for??!!
I am with you.......not least because I think the often disrespectful comments on up and coming youngsters are misinformed and potentially demotivating.........
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Having. Just looked at the weather forecast for Newport this afternoon rain and 60 mph winds Sexton is probably lucky not to be involved today.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bobbievee wrote:
Lurgan lad
A new perspective I have never seen on this forum before. If the coaches have more insight than the "experts" on this forum, then what is this forum for??!!
I am with you.......not least because I think the often disrespectful comments on up and coming youngsters are misinformed and potentially demotivating.........
People rarely want to know the truth. They just want to be right all the time. It's pretty tiring.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Aird wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:30 am Having. Just looked at the weather forecast for Newport this afternoon rain and 60 mph winds Sexton is probably lucky not to be involved today.
If there was a forecast of 60 mph winds in Newport, the match would be off already.

Still blowy enough with a Force 7 blowing in the open part of the ground.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:03 pm
Aird wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:30 am Having. Just looked at the weather forecast for Newport this afternoon rain and 60 mph winds Sexton is probably lucky not to be involved today.
If there was a forecast of 60 mph winds in Newport, the match would be off already.

Still blowy enough with a Force 7 blowing in the open part of the ground.
BBC weather currently forecasting winds up to 59mph and 98% chance of heavy rain between 2pm and 4 pm in Newport :shock:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall