SNIPE WATSON

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: SNIPE WATSON

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:40 pm Pretty much. We are all that is left of the crew. Plus Grumps Jnr of course.
There are still a few others - kimble and Big Nose are still regulars, but stand slightly farther back now. Gemma was another but her job means she only gets to Ravers occasionally now. The renovation of the terrace split us up and most of us didn't return exactly to our previous 2nd barrier up at the half-way line. Age, illness and other factors have meant that the original 2BC is now down to about 5 or 6 I think, but there were about 12-15 originally. Never actually counted how many - numbers were unimportant just so long as we kept out the riff-raff. :lol:

Snipe was too good for the 2BC (his words, not mine :lol: ), but eventually did deign to stand with us and honour us with his presence, wisdom and wit. :lol: We are not worthy!!!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:40 pm Pretty much. We are all that is left of the crew. Plus Grumps Jnr of course.
Grumps Junior would at one time have been embarrassed at you suggesting that - part of the same group as his old man? Are you crazy?

Nowadays it's just water off a duck's back to him. He's the sensible one that has to look after the old man. :oops:

A bit like Snipe and his cubs, I'm rather proud of him, but nobody tell him that. >EW
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

For what it's worth, you all may like to know that Dave was buried in his Ulster shirt - same one he always wore to Ravenspan. :red: :fleg:
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:34 pm For what it's worth, you all may like to know that Dave was buried in his Ulster shirt - same one he always wore to Ravenspan. :red: :fleg:
Nice touch :red:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:34 pm For what it's worth, you all may like to know that Dave was buried in his Ulster shirt - same one he always wore to Ravenspan. :red: :fleg:
Never quite sure about whether to have this done or not (They'd be using one of my own, like - not Snipe's).

The traditionalist in me says, "whistle and flute," the irreverent child in me says "Nomex coveralls."
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Just logged in , gutted to hear, Snipe and I had many discussion on here, but equally more sensible ones off public page, a true gentleman, a passionate Ulster Man

Farewell .
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

:salut:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:48 pm
Never quite sure about whether to have this done or not (They'd be using one of my own, like - not Snipe's).

The traditionalist in me says, "whistle and flute," the irreverent child in me says "Nomex coveralls."
Would Nomex provide enough protection BR?

Full fire-proof asbestos suit needed maybe? :lol:
I'm not arguing -
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:56 pm
BR wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:48 pm

Would Nomex provide enough protection BR?

Full fire-proof asbestos suit needed maybe? :lol:
That would be an ecumenical matter. >stpat >denied
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Goodness so sorry to hear this, thoughts are with his family and friends.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Sorry to hear this. Like many others when I was new here Snipe didn't mind chatting and it was greatly appreciated.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Just visiting this as I don't frequent as much. Sad to hear of Snipe's passing we shared many similar views and disagreed on a few others.. RIP
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Very sorry to read about this as don't check this part of the forum too often.

I never met Snipe but enjoyed reading his posts. His posts were always reasoned, even if I didn't agree with him on everything and always worth reading.

For me he was second to none in terms of his ability to post without the ulster-tinted specs on.

A big loss to this forum. Thoughts with his family and friends.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

OMG. So sorry to hear of Dave's passing. Many times over the years I had great discussions with him on here and the only thing I regret is that I didn't manage to meet him in person. RIP Dave.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Really really sorry to read this news. I don’t often browse this section of the site so I’m late to find out. I had wondered why he hadn’t contributed much lately, never crossed my mind that he was ill.

Like many others who have commented, although I didn’t know him personally I respected Snipe for his rugby knowledge, insightful contributions and his thoughtful views about the important issues of life. Not least, I respected him for his open witness to his Christian faith and his ability to engage gracefully and respectfully with those who held different views. Would that there were more like him among people of faith in this part of the world!

I don’t know why but I had him down as a Bangorian….forgive me Snipe :)

My thoughts and prayers will be with his family.