SNIPE WATSON

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

SNIPE WATSON

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

It is with great sadness that I report the death of one of this board’s great characters, Snipe Watson – or Dave to those of us who knew him as more than a username.

Dave stood among us for many years on the east terrace, or “the terrace” as it is still more commonly known, sharing his wit and his wisdom in equal measure. He knew the game inside out and didn’t see things through Ulster rose-tinted spectacles, preferring to call things as they really were, but always supporting the players on the field. I have missed his company on the terrace for the past couple of years during his illness and will continue to miss him in the years to come.

Dave has fought bravely against cancer since he was diagnosed with a very rare type of tumour in late 2019. He went through many long and complicated surgeries and treatments in this country and in England, enduring all stoically and in the hope that he would make it back to Ravers to support Ulster. During that time, he continued watch on TV and to post on here when he was able, preferring to keep his illness to himself and a small number of close friends and relatives.

Each has their own way to cope when things go wrong – there is no right way, nor no wrong way, but that was Dave’s way. It was also Dave’s way to put his faith in Jesus, and accepted from the very beginning that that may or may not result in a cure.

I know there are some on here who disagree with Dave’s stance on religion, but I also know there are some who grew to respect Dave’s faith, even while not sharing it, simply by the way he was prepared to declare it and discuss it openly and honestly on this forum. Dave was a scholar of divinity (among other things), but his was no theoretical understanding of faith - Dave not only talked the talk, but also walked the walk. His faith was intensely personal and close. I am proud to say that Dave maintained that faith to the very end, and has been a very real source of inspiration to me, especially in the last few months when we both knew the end was coming. Dave was a witness for his Lord and Saviour to the end. I humbly ask that even if you do not share Dave’s beliefs, you can put that aside for one day and simply reflect on the loss of a lifelong Ulster supporter. I was proud to have been at Twickenham with him at our European final, at Thomond on Easter Sunday 2012, after we worshipped together in church in Limerick before our victory over Munster, and at numerous other matches over many years.

If it weren’t for rugby, I would never have known Dave – that's the beauty of sport. We came from different parts of the country, but our love of Ulster Rugby somehow brought us together on the terrace, and my life was enriched because of it.

Dave is survived by his wife and two sons - two very fine young men who also graced the terrace at Ravenhill and of whom he was rightly proud. If you are so minded, perhaps you will remember them in prayer in the difficult days ahead as they adjust to his loss.

RIP Dave. God Bless.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: SNIPE WATSON

Post by pwrmoore »

We were contemporaries at school. Can't believe he is gone. A fine man. As you say cap'n he was knowledgeable, witty and not afraid to call it like he saw it. Only time I ever knew him to have rose tinted specs was about portora's prospects in the schools cup. We'll miss you Dave. :salut:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

When I joined this forum, nine years ago, Snipe (I never knew him in any other context) gently corrected me, with a pm, when I made a foolish comment and I learned much from this. I had often wanted to meet him in person but, somehow, never made time. I deeply regret this now. His comments on this forum were always worth reading, knowledgeable and salted with Christian grace. The mutual respect between him and his 'Baggy' sparring partner was a lesson for us all.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Gosh. That is such a shock. He was always worth reading here and I met him a few times at Ravenhill and elsewhere in Ireland.
I'm truly sorry to hear this news and can only record my sincerest sympathies to his family and those that were close to him.
RIP Snipe/Dave
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

solidarity wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:47 pm When I joined this forum, nine years ago, Snipe (I never knew him in any other context) gently corrected me, with a pm, when I made a foolish comment and I learned much from this. I had often wanted to meet him in person but, somehow, never made time. I deeply regret this now. His comments on this forum were always worth reading, knowledgeable and salted with Christian grace. The mutual respect between him and his 'Baggy' sparring partner was a lesson for us all.
That sounds like Snipe alright.

As for mutual respect between an ardent Christian and a born-again atheist - it wasn't always there :lol: , just as it wasn't always there between Baggy and myself, but we all got there in the end, and not only reached mutual respect, but became good friends. I have emailed and messaged Baggy, but maybe he hasn't been paying his bills in Spain and maybe hasn't picked this up yet. I hope and pray - yes, pray, that Baggy is well. :stir: >EW
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Sorry to hear this. Snipe was one of those posters who always caught your attention when lurking and reading before commenting. Condolences to his family and those who knew him in person.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Oh no. Very sorry to hear that, a gentleman. RIP.
..one more thing
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

I'm so sorry to see this. Having been a piece meal contributor to the forum for many years but regular observer, I saw Snipe's contributions as always well reasoned and with respectful challenges when he didn't agree with others' views. I haven't met him or known him as anyone other than Snipe Watson but his comments always caught my interest even when I didn't always agree with his views, mainly because I recognised that his opinions came from a base of knowledge, appreciation and respect for the game.

Despite not personally having met Dave, I am truly shocked to hear of his passing and I express my sincere sorry to his 2 sons, family and friends. A sad loss to the forum and to Ravenhill and a deeper loss to loved ones. God bless
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Like Solids, I remember getting a lot of PMs in the early days, having written many a foolish thing. I did ignore them after a while though. I respected what he was doing though. Probably what he felt was the right thing, no doubt. An arena with multiple opinions all so desperate to be right. A lawless and ungovernable place at times. He was an institution on the board.

I had wondered where he was. Cancer is such an awful thing. Hope he's chewing the ear off the big man about it.

Rest in peace, brother
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I haven't logged on here this year. so I'm grateful to the Capt for messaging in several forms to pass on this sad news, as he did a couple of years back to let me know that Dave was unwell.

I am one of many who met Dave in person on several occasions and despite our obvious disagreements on several real-life views I never doubted he was a good soul and greatly enjoyed our banter on here. I think we had a mutual understanding that our differences didn't mean any lack of respect and he knew that he and Grumps were amongst my favourite Mentalists. Much as don't share his faith, I know and am glad that it will have comforted and sustained him during his illness.

I suppose damned few of us know when our time will come so in passing, my best wishes to all here who I have interacted with, I would struggle to name anyone whom I would have considered reprehensible or irredeemable ........I've one name in mind, and one only, who shall remain nameless and even he was merely an insufferable windbag with delusions of grandeur who may well have been kind to old ladies and perhaps cats - though of course I'm a dog man personally.

That apart, be good to yourselves and each other.

Farewell Snipe
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

eeyore wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:05 am I'm so sorry to see this. Having been a piece meal contributor to the forum for many years but regular observer, I saw Snipe's contributions as always well reasoned and with respectful challenges when he didn't agree with others' views. I haven't met him or known him as anyone other than Snipe Watson but his comments always caught my interest even when I didn't always agree with his views, mainly because I recognised that his opinions came from a base of knowledge, appreciation and respect for the game.

Despite not personally having met Dave, I am truly shocked to hear of his passing and I express my sincere sorry to his 2 sons, family and friends. A sad loss to the forum and to Ravenhill and a deeper loss to loved ones. God bless
Well put eeyore reflects my thoughts exactly my sincere condolences to his family.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

I am deeply saddened by this this news but being one of those who was aware of Dave's condition it hasn't come as a surprise. Like Grumps I spent many a Friday evening in Dave's company on the terrace and was also on the road trip to Munster for that famous quarter final win.
Dave was an absolute gent with a formidable rugby knowledge and a quick wit. I shall miss the big lad. My condolences to his wife and the boys.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

RIP Dave :salut:
Finished
Tightheadsdoitbest
Novice

Post by Tightheadsdoitbest »

Snipe was a welcoming supporter who was always willing to discuss but ultimately stand by (and justify!) his own views.

As a fellow Ulster supporter of now nearly 50 years and also a Christian I too will always remember with great fondness the Communion Service in Limerick on Easter Sunday 2012. Supporters of both "creeds" (both Munster/UIster and Presbyterian/Methodist) took bread together in team shirts, with the Minister saying he "hoped the referee had a good game" - we all know he did as he looked favorably on the Afoa incident! Snipe was there and we processed together to Thomond from Church. We stood and cheered together, as loudly as we have often been critical and opinionated; strange how we weren't critical that day!

A good man gone. Lets remember the words of Johann and Rory at Ravenhill when we came together for the Service of Remembrance for Nevin. As they say, "those who know, know" - they both could have been, in many ways, describing Snipe - especially his bad jokes!

John 11 v25-26
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Sad news. His integrity always shone through his posts. Rest easy Snipe.