Your UR Shopping List

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

So It Is
Initiate

Your UR Shopping List

Post by So It Is »

Assume we have ambitions of being at the top-table in Europe what do we need to make our squad competitive?

IMO:

-a quality LH
-a big unit enforcer-type lock. Not necessarily to start as I think we are OK starting with Hendy/AOC/Treaders but a big angry MF to come off the bench to hurt people at the 55min mark
-a quality 10
-a good backup bosher at 12

I don't think any of Warwick/EOS/McGrath starting will be enough. Off the bench they'd be fine.

I know Izzy is full of potential but it might take a few years for that to be realised. Hopefully Ryan has the necessary dog in him for this role.

Billy Boy blows hot and cold. Perfectly fine as a backup mind you. We need a brad pitt hot 10 that has a history of winning big games and producing big moments.

Stewart Moore is coming along nicely but I think pushing him out to be our cover at 13 would suit our gameplan better given how reliant we are on Big Stu putting dents in defences.
volvo
Novice

Re: Your UR Shopping List

Post by volvo »

We need a brad pitt hot 10 that has a history of winning big games and producing big moments.
Know one of them playing in London but dont think he'd be interested :stir:
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

There's more chance in me playing 10 for Ulster than Paddy tbf.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

In terms of the squad as a whole I think we're as strong as we've been since the 2011-12 season when we got the ERC final. By and large we've also a very young team, who'll continue to improve and when we've a full deck to pick from there aren't any immediately obvious weak links. The two areas that would be of most concern to me are:

fly half - I think on current form Burns is a very good player, but were he to go through another run of poor form or get injured I'm not sure who is next in line. Given his broken field running I wonder if fullback might turn out to be Lowry's best position in the long term, but if he does want to play out-half he needs to have a run of games where he can put his case forward. Though he often blew hot and cold, Madigan in his pomp was more than capable, but he needs to show that he can get back to that level.

ball carriers - I don't think there's a specific position where this is needed and we have a number of players who can chip in, but without Coetzee we rely on McCloskey more than ever, and really miss him when he's not playing. I'm not too concerned about what position it would be in, so much as just being able to have another destructive runner in the team. We're becoming a very good team when it comes to playing a fast expansive game, but that won't get us there when the conditions are like they were against the Dragons.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This year I think the big license has established himself as a top scrummager. Its remarkable really. Just a nuggety old piece of prop grizzle coming into his 30+ pomp. So I think we have reasonable options here. Would love someone who could do it all, scrum and carry big. A Kitshoff type player. That person needs to be significantly better than what we have. No more sausage industry wannabes. Callum Reid has huge potential too.

The priority should be a big bar steward in the engine room. Hendy is injured too much and we need another at that level. However, we have an NIQ lock.

The backrow has that bar steward in Duane. Rea jnr is quickly nailing down the 7 shirt, I like what he's about. Plus this new Refell guy appears to be an openside. Timoney is probably the first name on the teamsheet. Jordi coming back can play across the backrow. So unlikely we would get anyone significant.

A utility back might be a good shout to provide cover across the backline- centre and fullback especially. Billy has been inconsistent. Recently much improved but I feel that genuine competition here would help us. Mad that we had an international quality 10 but paid him money not to be our 10.

There is talk of a Leinster clearout so we might get some sloppy seconds.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?