What would you do ?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: What would you do ?

Post by BR »

If potato potato is racist, should our Indian friends be offended* by old episodes of Alo Alo?

* any more than anyone else with a developed sense of humour
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

BR wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:14 pm
big mervyn wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:54 pm
BR wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:37 pm I've heard the 'Potato, Potato' thing before, and it's usually just taking the pss out of our accents.

Probably depends on the circumstances, but if I was to say something like, "Goodness, gracious me!" to one of my indian brethren, it would more than likely be seen as racist.
On the other hand, I could probably get away with suffixing every sentence with, "... isn't it," when talking to my Welsh friends (if I had any left ;) )

I have heard the argument that the potato reference is highly offensive, because it refers to the famine, but I tend to think that is people going out of their way to be offended.

Did Team B indicate what variety of potato they were talking about? Could this be a NI v RoI (or sectarian) thing, based on the underlying potato preferences of those populations?

Frankly I am of the opinion, that face-to-face sledging in sport, is either acceptable or it is not. The subject of the sledging, whether that be the opponent's race, gender, sexuality, baldness, obesity, wife, mother or simply sporting ability is not of great relevance. No doubt some people will cross even that line of acceptability, am I in denial to think that the sledger's own teammates would deal with anything too extreme?
British Queens v Dublin Queens?
Not as simple as that.

Unfortunately I don't recall the details, but.there is a stark contrast between popular potato varieties north and south.

For sake of argument it's something like NI is 75% Maris Piper v RoI is 70% Queens. I'm afraid I would need someone from the potato industry to confirm both the percentages and the varieties, but I just remember the huge contrast. Apologies for such a wishy-washy post.
I thought the Rooster was one of the most popular spuds in ROI. Don't mention Kerrs Pinks. We can't bring colour into the argument.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Jetstream wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:42 pm
I thought the Rooster was one of the most popular spuds in ROI. Don't mention Kerrs Pinks. We can't bring colour into the argument.
I think the Rooster is a relatively new kid on the block. It is a very versatile spud though.

Pinks and blues were common when I were a lad. Certainly for storing over the winter. Queens were the thing in the summer.
Used to be Cyprus spuds covered in red earth first in the early summer then the Comber wans.
"Balls of flour" was always the mark of a good spud.

They are a big thing on the north coast. There seems to be a bit of a potato triangle in he Ballycastle/Ballymoney where every other farm has a sign at the gate.

No doubt Bobbievee will find this discussion almost as riveting as the average mpg of a Fiat Panda. :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:57 pm
I think the Rooster is a relatively new kid on the block. It is a very versatile spud though.

Pinks and blues were common when I were a lad. Certainly for storing over the winter. Queens were the thing in the summer.
Used to be Cyprus spuds covered in red earth first in the early summer then the Comber wans.

They are a big thing on the north coast. There seems to be a bit of a potato triangle in he Ballycastle/Ballymoney where every other farm has a sign at the gate.

No doubt Bobbievee will find this discussion almost as riveting as the average mpg of a Fiat Panda. :lol:
What about the Aran Banners and the Lumper. The Lumper was the spud that caused the Famine as it had no resistance to blight.
"Balls of flour" is a great expression. The skin should fall off the potato of its own accord. It's hard to beat standing over a pot of potatoes eating them out of the pot. All you need is a knife and a pinch of salt. Maybe a mug of buttermilk to sate the thirst.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:57 pm

M

:lol: :lol: :lol: being a Comber dweller, you have found a subject close to my heart!!

Separate from the variety discussion, real lesson is never buy potatoes in plastic bags from garages or supermarkets.

They start to deteriorate in both taste and flavour as soon as they leave the soil, and come into the warmth and the light.
So the worst thing to do is dig them up early, wash all the soil off, put them into plastic bags, and display under a fluorescent light for days on end.
which of course is what supermarkets do........and indeed demand from their suppliers.

Then people will say, potatoes dont taste like they used to. Of course they bloody dont!!

In the reminiscing department, I attended a primary school at Cregagh, ( close to Ravenhill) and because we were about 100 yards outside the Belfast City Bpundary ( defined by the River Loop which is closed by the small bridge near the Mount Merrion turnstiles) were part of the County Down Education Committee. So we got a week off ( In October?) for potato picking!! Most folks in our estate would not have known what a potato tree looked like!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Yes. We were also allowed time off for potato picking. (I am from the heart oF Down -60s vintage)

I assume that practice has long stopped? Sending weans outside to do hard labour for a pittance in the autumn must contravene several laws these days although I'm sure Rees-Mogg is keen to restore such traditions in a postBrexit Britain.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

To my knowledge the schools in Aberdeenshire still close for tatty hoakin
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:49 pm Yes. We were also allowed time off for potato picking. (I am from the heart oF Down -60s vintage)

I assume that practice has long stopped? Sending weans outside to do hard labour for a pittance in the autumn must contravene several laws these days although I'm sure Rees-Mogg is keen to restore such traditions in a postBrexit Britain.
Rees Mogg by the shape of him could do with a good feed of spuds liberally sprinkled with arsenic of course.
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

When I was a young boy everyone assisted with the potatoes. Back in those days the spuds in rural areas were dropped from a bucket or out of a link box.
Back breaking labour. Everyone in the parish helped out and in reward got a drill of spuds. I remember our local tailor had the first drill, the shoemaker the next drill and so on.
After the potatoes were lifted they were put in pits and covered with clay and straw. It was a popular hangout for the local rat population. I remember on one occasion a rat going up the leg of my brother in law's trousers. The sight of a spud still brings him out in a sweat. Despite the experience he still managed to father four children.
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

BR wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:32 pm To my knowledge the schools in Aberdeenshire still close for tatty hoakin
You are correct BR in fact most schools in Scotland in Rural areas still have "Tattie pickin" holiday but Scottish spuds are vile greasy things described by my son as "bars of soap" Balls of Flour is a brilliant description of an early Comber or British Queen with a knob of butter slowly being absorbed.
Irish spuds both North and South are far superior to their Scottish counterparts my theory is that it has something to do with the fact that there are no Moles in Ireland whereas Scotland is riddled with the vermin please note anytime if you ever visit Haggis land that every field has the mini mountains of soil excavated by the underground vermin.Cant back this theory up with any scientific data like I can with MPG of Fiat Pandas or E10 petrol :D :D
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Jetstream wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:45 pm When I was a young boy everyone assisted with the potatoes. Back in those days the spuds in rural areas were dropped from a bucket or out of a link box.
Back breaking labour. Everyone in the parish helped out and in reward got a drill of spuds. I remember our local tailor had the first drill, the shoemaker the next drill and so on.
After the potatoes were lifted they were put in pits and covered with clay and straw. It was a popular hangout for the local rat population. I remember on one occasion a rat going up the leg of my brother in law's trousers. The sight of a spud still brings him out in a sweat. Despite the experience he still managed to father four children.
Jet, are you sure you're not a character from a Dickens novel?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

That's what I was thinking Solids :lol:

I always thought Rumn was tha "father" of this house but I may have to revise that opinion.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

volvo wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:58 pm
BR wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:32 pm To my knowledge the schools in Aberdeenshire still close for tatty hoakin
You are correct BR in fact most schools in Scotland in Rural areas still have "Tattie pickin" holiday but Scottish spuds are vile greasy things described by my son as "bars of soap" Balls of Flour is a brilliant description of an early Comber or British Queen with a knob of butter slowly being absorbed.
Irish spuds both North and South are far superior to their Scottish counterparts my theory is that it has something to do with the fact that there are no Moles in Ireland whereas Scotland is riddled with the vermin please note anytime if you ever visit Haggis land that every field has the mini mountains of soil excavated by the underground vermin.Cant back this theory up with any scientific data like I can with MPG of Fiat Pandas or E10 petrol :D :D
I would suggest that Ayrshire potatoes are the exception to what you've described re scottish tatties.

Almost as good as Comber spuds.

But then nathin is as good as Comber spuds.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

It may not be that other regions cannot grow as good potatoes, but they prefer not to.

Local preferences vary with waxy being the more popular in most of europe.

The article i heard on the radio went into quite a bit of detail about it all. It was with someone from Wilsons or one of the big wholesalers. (Maybe we should write to them and ask)

Of course, there is an argument that regional preference is based on generational habit and originally a regions choice would have been governed more strictly by what could be grown in the locality. So it's not really that these poor folk prefer waxy spuds, they just think they do.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Jetstream wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:45 pm When I was a young boy everyone assisted with the potatoes. Back in those days the spuds in rural areas were dropped from a bucket or out of a link box.
So his weren’t balls of flour then? :D