Ulster v Cardiff Friday Mar 4 7:35pm BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / RTE2 / Premier Sports 2

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Cardiff Friday Mar 4 7:35pm BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / RTE2 / Premier Sports 2

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:30 pm
Thelaw wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:13 pm Also has there been a single referral to the TMO?

Feck spoke too soon
Think Hollie (???) decided the TMO is getting paid, and has been getting his money for nathin, so gave him a couple of decisions to make/advise on near the end. Got them both wrong. :twisted: :duck:
I noticed one comment farther up about the ref, but from where we were standing on the terrace, she did alright and kept the game flowing when she could. A few decisions we disagreed with while wearing Ulster rose tinted specs, but in reality she was probably right on most of them.

Best Scottish referee by a country mile. I know that doesn't set the bar very high, but still credit where it's due . :salut:
She was grand but the forward pass irks as the "try" was a thing of beauty. Watched it back 3 times and it went backwards from his hands. Fractionally maybe, but backwards. The forward momentum doesn't make it a forward pass.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Ulster v Cardiff Friday Mar 4 7:35pm BBC2 NI / BBC2 Wales / RTE2 / Premier Sports 2

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:50 pm
Thelaw wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:13 pm Also has there been a single referral to the TMO?

Feck spoke too soon
Think Hollie (???) decided the TMO is getting paid, and has been getting his money for nathin, so gave him a couple of decisions to make/advise on near the end. Got them both wrong. :twisted: :duck:
I noticed one comment farther up about the ref, but from where we were standing on the terrace, she did alright and kept the game flowing when she could. A few decisions we disagreed with while wearing Ulster rose tinted specs, but in reality she was probably right on most of them.

Best Scottish referee by a country mile. I know that doesn't set the bar very high, but still credit where it's due . :salut:
She was grand but the forward pass irks as the "try" was a thing of beauty. Watched it back 3 times and it went backwards from his hands. Fractionally maybe, but backwards. The forward momentum doesn't make it a forward pass.
That was my take at the time and with each replay shown on the screens. The pass was clearly out of the back of the hands. I've seen much clearer forward passes being permitted by referees in other matches. Apparently Rory and Tommy agreed it was forward though, or so SWMBO said when I got home. The entire move from one end of the park to the other was a thing of beauty. Most teams would have kicked the ball dead after winning the ball back in their own in-goal area. Not many would attempt to run it the length of the field.

I never saw a replay, but my feeling at the time was that in that last move, there was also a very late hit on an Ulster player, that could and (imo at the time) should have resulted in a restart with a penalty to Ulster once the try was disallowed. Anyone confirm or refute? I know most probably just wanted off the park by then though.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I loved it when Bobby Baloucoune went off to be replaced by Aaron Sexton and you could almost feel the relief in the opposition that they weren't gonna be burned for pace anymore, then Sexton skinned a few leaving them tackling clear air. Beautiful.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BTW, I can confirm that Tommy (not Tommy) from Comber was present, and was drinking miniatures of whisky (it looked like) and pouring Tayto Cheese n Onion crisps down his throat from a big family bag of same.

No class in Comber. :roll:

Is it any wonder he can't remember his own name? :shock:
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I believe Nick Timoney (6 tries) is now joint top scorer with Mack Hansen in the league.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He was like a raging bull in the lead up to Big Stu’s try.

Gets better every week.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Bobby read what you want to

But his defensive positioning was not tested to night neither was his kicking under pressure as pointed out during the game he hadn't played full back since he played for the Medallion XV which a long way short of pro rugby requirements . My comment had caveats first his skill level was not questioned only his position and ability to direct the back 3 defence secondly that on a calm night that ability may not be test to the same extent as a windy night.

Payne's greatest asset was his ability to position his co defenders his first game for Ulster he was directing a rather green and inexperienced Gilroy were to position himself through out the match.

Ball in hand Moore actually looks a better prospect at 13 than Hume his timing of the pass reminds me of D Cave,
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The two was also required to review the second Cardiff try .

The last try the player taking the pass was in front of the passer but took the ball from behind his back and I think the call was based more on the fact the player accepting the pass was in front which made the pass seem to be forward it made little difference to the result and possibly saved Cardiff a rollicking and saved ulster the cost redecorating the changing room and washing the floor
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bobbievee wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:45 pm
rumncoke wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:39 am The weal link in the Ulster side IMHO is Full Back

It is not an ability of the player weakness basically it stems from a lack of experience in the position . the function of a full back is too ensure that each member of the back three is in an appropriate position for each set piece play -- scrum and line out .

Why ? because it is at set pieces an opposition can stop if a player is in the wrong place and as a result instigate a play to exploit that fact . In broken play there is normally insufficient time to assess the possibility or ensure those who could exploit the fact are in position to do so.

Does Moore have the experience to ensure he can direct the position of each of the back 3 including himself maybe but only if the the weather is calm and the wind plays little part in the outcome of the game.

why ? because the task of positioning is easier despite the fact that kicking a ball accurately is also easier, the space available to the out half is easier to identify and cover.

Rumn
held off replying to your "expert" analysis of the Full Back skills and insight to the game ( also known as drivel) until after tonights game.
So, Moore is ( deservedly) BBC MOTM.

Undoubtedly you will have another 200 words to explain what you are not wrong.

?????
Dear Robert, had you run your lips about Ron'ns piece before the game you may have been seen as sage, however, having a cut at Ron'n with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight makes you appear a bit of a chube. Capiche?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:01 am

Feck spoke too soon

That was my take at the time and with each replay shown on the screens. The pass was clearly out of the back of the hands. I've seen much clearer forward passes being permitted by referees in other matches. Apparently Rory and Tommy agreed it was forward though, or so SWMBO said when I got home. The entire move from one end of the park to the other was a thing of beauty. Most teams would have kicked the ball dead after winning the ball back in their own in-goal area. Not many would attempt to run it the length of the field.

I never saw a replay, but my feeling at the time was that in that last, there was also a very late hit on an Ulster player, that could and (imo at the time) should have resulted in a restart with a penalty to Ulster once the try was disallowed. Anyone confirm or refute? I know most probably just wanted off the park by then though.
Correct Cap'n. A clear and deliberate late hit by Blues 22 on Moore right in front of the 2BC! Shouldn't have mattered because as the TMO rightly stated, the pass wasnae forward!
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cardiff say Evans failed his HIA when he went off with his wrist injury.

Would they actually go through the motions of an HIA just to cover up their cheating?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:16 am The two was also required to review the second Cardiff try .
Andrew or Myhill? :scratch:
rumncoke wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:16 am The two was also required to review the second Cardiff try .

The last try the player taking the pass was in front of the passer but took the ball from behind his back and I think the call was based more on the fact the player accepting the pass was in front which made the pass seem to be forward it made little difference to the result and possibly saved Cardiff a rollicking and saved ulster the cost redecorating the changing room and washing the floor
If it made little difference to the result why would it save Cardiff from a rollicking, or or them vandalising the changing room? Does the difference between conceding 7 tries or 8 cross some sort of line? Blues were well beaten and whether that try was awarded or not will have little overall effect on Cardiff players and coaching staff.

I think you and I have a difference in how we see not only the good Dai Young, but the rest of his coaching staff. I think they deserve a bit more respect.
I'm not arguing -
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Feck spoke too soon

Zackly
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:30 am I believe Nick Timoney (6 tries) is now joint top scorer with Mack Hansen in the league.
He is pure class but imho his best position is 8.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:04 am I loved it when Bobby Baloucoune went off to be replaced by Aaron Sexton and you could almost feel the relief in the opposition that they weren't gonna be burned for pace anymore, then Sexton skinned a few leaving them tackling clear air. Beautiful.
Sexton needs more game time, give him any room and he will burn literally any player in Europe.