scrummaging..........whats the point?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: scrummaging..........whats the point?

Post by Dave »

They are no more 'forced' than a player winning a penalty with a jackal. It is the illegality by not releasing, not the dominant player with the correct technique forcing or doing anything they shouldn't. If a team slips their bind because of the same dominance and technique, that is part of the competition for superiority.

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:53 am
BR wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:20 pm Like you, I enjoy a scrum. But I think a lot of outsiders/backs don't really consider play to be continuing until the ball magically comes out the back.
Arguably it's not.

The scrum is a way of restarting the match, so you could argue that the match hasn't restarted until the scrum is completed.

And yes, I know you could argue the match has restarted once the ball is fed, or even before it is fed if there is an offence before the ball is put into the scrum, but then you could argue in those scenarios that the scrum didn't restart the game which is what it is meant to do?

Confused? :scratch:

You will be . . .

. . . in the next episode of "Soap". :shock:
Then play doesnt really restart until the lineout is over?

(I would actually ammend that law. I don't like the way it can be a lineout and a maul at the same time.)
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:37 pm They are no more 'forced' than a player winning a penalty with a jackal. It is the illegality by not releasing, not the dominant player with the correct technique forcing or doing anything they shouldn't. If a team slips their bind because of the same dominance and technique, that is part of the competition for superiority.
Ah come on! Must be the majority of jackal penalties are 'forced'.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
Dave wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:37 pm They are no more 'forced' than a player winning a penalty with a jackal. It is the illegality by not releasing, not the dominant player with the correct technique forcing or doing anything they shouldn't. If a team slips their bind because of the same dominance and technique, that is part of the competition for superiority.
With Jedi mind tricks on the ref?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

>Off_Topic_Man
Dave wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:40 am
BR wrote:
You think they actually try to take the ball?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:>Off_Topic_Man
Dave wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:40 am
BR wrote:
You think they actually try to take the ball?
It's all a conspiracy. False flag etc imo.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:12 am
BR wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:20 pm Like you, I enjoy a scrum. But I think a lot of outsiders/backs don't really consider play to be continuing until the ball magically comes out the back.
Arguably it's not.

The scrum is a way of restarting the match, so you could argue that the match hasn't restarted until the scrum is completed.

And yes, I know you could argue the match has restarted once the ball is fed, or even before it is fed if there is an offence before the ball is put into the scrum, but then you could argue in those scenarios that the scrum didn't restart the game which is what it is meant to do?

You will be . . .

and your point is?
BR wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:20 pm (I would actually ammend that law. I don't like the way it can be a lineout and a maul at the same time.)
I doubt you amending it would make any difference, but good luck if you try.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:44 pm
Arguably it's not.

You will be . . .

and your point is?
Ball is in play and comparatively contestable.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:16 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:44 pm
Arguably it's not.

You will be . . .

and your point is?
Ball is in play and comparatively contestable.

C'mon, get down from thon fence and tell us what you really mean by that. :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Some of you may have forgotten that the laws of rugby apply to everyone from the All Blacks down to (insert club name here) 4ths. It would be inhuman to expect guys who maybe only train a couple of nights a week to run constantly for 80 minutes around a boggy pitch. So in answer to the original question, scrums are a way of restarting the match after an infringement and also an excuse for lardies, and sometimes referrees, to get a break and get their breath back.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Antonio folding up Genge like a pancake. Lovely stuff.