Ulster v Leinster Saturday March 12th 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1 & TG4

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Leinster Saturday March 12th 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1 & TG4

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:24 pm A question for those of you who know more about these things than I do.

At the free kick in the last few minutes, why go for the up and under? I know a kick to touch woukd give possession away but would a wee tap and go to keep possession not have been a better option? Or are you not allowed to do that from a free kick?

That would definitely be an option.

Perhaps they though it was better to play on Leinster's goal-line even without possession, than for a tired team to risk playing "up the jumper" rugby further up the pitch where a penalty conceded would give the opposition a dangerous attacking platform?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

solidarity wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:24 pm A question for those of you who know more about these things than I do.

At the free kick in the last few minutes, why go for the up and under? I know a kick to touch woukd give possession away but would a wee tap and go to keep possession not have been a better option? Or are you not allowed to do that from a free kick?

I thought Frank Murphy did well with the whistle, except for the high tackle in a very kickable position with about ten minutes to go and, tbh the 'closing the gap' decision in our favour that led to that free kick I was talking about.
Tap and go is fine. A kick direct to touch outside your 22 would have resulted in a lineout back where the ball was kicked, though in those conditions you could of drilled the ball along the ground to touch, run another 30 seconds off the clock taking up time for resultant lineout.

I'd of gone scrum from the free kick and killed another 45 seconds to a minute off the clock, then execute the garryowen thereafter from scrum if wanted. Less traffic for your winger/chasers to work their way through with eight Leinster forwards tied in a scrum. The risk is losing scrum or conceding penalty, though we were solid from a scrum about 90 seconds later.

The garryowen probably wasn't worst choice, just too much length on it for chasers to contest, and as it dropped in Leinster 22 allowed their player to call mark.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I thought Frank Murphy did well with the whistle, except for the high tackle in a very kickable position with about ten minutes to go and, tbh the 'closing the gap' decision in our favour that led to that free kick I was talking about.
Free kick can be punted, tapped or scrummaged. Why did they opt for a garryowen? In keeping with team orders, I suspect. Actually thought they closed out the last 5 minutes quite well. Game management in that time frame has been poor in recent past and I was fully expecting someone to do something catastrophically stupid, but the discipline was good and while it could not be called Munsteresque, it did seem to be considered.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Thanks, guys.

Yes, they closed out the last five minutes well. Could we have changed from a team that loses in the last five minutes to a team that wins in the last five? We've nicked a few this season.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:15 pm
BR wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:13 pm
Terrace - Aquinas 22. Where were you? Salivasbergen??
There was a lot of spit but not much more >EW
Jesus, Merv. I was hoping to get away with that. You go pointing it out and I'll be fired, exiled, cancelled and probably prosecuted for thought-crime.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

El Diablo wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:12 pm Finally sold my tickets so definately wont be travelling up. Next time.
Ulster definately have the advantage in the backs. Doak is a class act and head and shoulders above Luke McGrath at the minute. I think our backline will leak tries.
The key as always on a filthy night is the pack. Deegan and Penny are making their way back from injury and a starting to show good form again but the one to watch is no 5 Joe McCarthy. Tomorrow night will be his toughest test but he is a bundle of power and energy. He is non-stop for 80 minutes. How Murphy refs the breakdown is key. Nick Timoney will be chomping at the bit for turnovers but Murphy can be pedantic at times and the jackle has to be perfect. If he gets away with living on the edge early on it could be a long night for Leinster. Enjoy.
Glad you got sorted. And sure we'll see you next time all being well. Could be wrong, but it almost seemed like Murphy was applying some empathy last night - not his usual pedantic self.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:33 pm Cap'n I appreciate your support, as always. And perhaps my memory is skewed by PTSD. I'm sure I only have to say the word - Llanelli - for you to instantly forget all those matches we stood on the terrace in shorts/taps-aff.
I confess when I was considering the worst nights we have endured, Scarlets was the first one that came to mind. Junior grumpy was soaked through that night - as were we all, but he ended up getting pneumonia after that.

We nearly lost the temporary stand at memorial end that night and it had to be evacuated. Personally I though putting more bodies into it would have anchored it a bit more though.

I still have a photo somewhere of the last survivors who endured to the final whistle on the terrace that night. In years to come hundreds will claim they were one of that dirty (and wet) dozen or so. Just like the thousands of SAS who were there at the storming of thon Syrian Embassy in London.

But no, last night didn't come close to that. I'll stand by my comment though that it was worse than "fairly typical" of 10 years ago.

On consideration though, It may be that in seasons past when we didn't have a lid on the terrace, I was usually able to shelter in the lee of Mid Ulster Maestro. He was a brilliant wind-break - and yes, go ahead and make up your own jokes - that worked too. :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

There was something approaching an atmosphere last night. Maybe even a 2nd string Leinster side can get the blood up or maybe it was the prematch pints during the Eng game.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:39 pm There was something approaching an atmosphere last night. Maybe even a 2nd string Leinster side can get the blood up or maybe it was the prematch pints during the Eng game.
Have to agree on atmosphere. and I made an exciting discovery - Black Bush lubricates my tapentadol dried up throat better than sweets do.

Can someone persuade Grumps Junior to drive every week? :lol:

In the interests of Ulster Rugby of course. :fleg:

The fact that I drive past his house on the way to the match and that he would have to go out of his way three quarters of an hour to pick me up shouldn't necessarily lead to a logical driving choice. Especially as he's TT. :whistle: :whistle:
I'm not arguing -
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:50 pm
Have to agree on atmosphere. and I made an exciting discovery - Black Bush lubricates my tapentadol dried up throat better than sweets do.

Good grief Cap'n, since when do sentences begin with a lower case letter? Mind blown, I don't know what to believe anymore. :whistle:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:35 pm
BR wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:33 pm Cap'n I appreciate your support, as always. And perhaps my memory is skewed by PTSD. I'm sure I only have to say the word - Llanelli - for you to instantly forget all those matches we stood on the terrace in shorts/taps-aff.
I confess when I was considering the worst nights we have endured, Scarlets was the first one that came to mind. Junior grumpy was soaked through that night - as were we all, but he ended up getting pneumonia after that.

We nearly lost the temporary stand at memorial end that night and it had to be evacuated. Personally I though putting more bodies into it would have anchored it a bit more though.

I still have a photo somewhere of the last survivors who endured to the final whistle on the terrace that night. In years to come hundreds will claim they were one of that dirty (and wet) dozen or so. Just like the thousands of SAS who were there at the storming of thon Syrian Embassy in London.

But no, last night didn't come close to that. I'll stand by my comment though that it was worse than "fairly typical" of 10 years ago.

On consideration though, It may be that in seasons past when we didn't have a lid on the terrace, I was usually able to shelter in the lee of Mid Ulster Maestro. He was a brilliant wind-break - and yes, go ahead and make up your own jokes - that worked too. :shock:
I should be somewhere in the photo. There have been a few nights when I've had to hold onto the crush barriers to stay on my feet, but that one was unique.

In my mind the evacuation of the temp stand was a different night. But as I said PTSD does that.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Was the ecauation of the temp stand not v Quins in a blizzard?
Big Neville Southall
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:49 pm Was the ecauation of the temp stand not v Quins in a blizzard?
If it was the Quins HEC match, then it was my recollection that the temp Memorial End Stand was there, but due to the high winds and rain, deemed too dangerous to be used by spectators. Didn't seem to stop UR keeping the late great marquee right behind it open to flog ale. [And ?introduce the tradition of a guitarist/band playing Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" in the clammy damp ? Now transferred to the bar under the New Old Grandstand....]

Perhaps UR knew that the wind would only blow one way - down the pitch towards the Aquinas End with ?Rory Best? chasing the ball to score a try.... My first match and one I'll remember as the seats we had (as S/T holders) were about 4 rows back and would now be about half-way up the Prom ? Looked pretty wet there on Saturday night.... and we got soaked back then too. Some things never change, and others do - not least beating Leinster home & away....

Interested to note from AMcK's 2nd report that the last team to double Leinster were Dragons in 2014/15....
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:49 pm Was the ecauation of the temp stand not v Quins in a blizzard?
BR wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:37 pm I should be somewhere in the photo. There have been a few nights when I've had to hold onto the crush barriers to stay on my feet, but that one was unique.

In my mind the evacuation of the temp stand was a different night. But as I said PTSD does that.
I believe you are in that photo, and yes you probably are correct it probably was a different match.

If Merv is to be believed, and I have no reason to doubt him, it may well have been the quins match. I know the main concern for that scenario was wind, whereas the issue at the Scarlets match was rain .

Maybe you're managing PTSD better than I am with my senility - I can't remember. :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Okay - senility is definitely winning.

Can't find the photo i was thinking of from Scarlets (Llanelli) Heiny Pool match in January 2007, but did find these of Knocknagoney Mike and Mid Ulster Maestro taken at that match and there was definitely no temporary stand in place for that one, as you can see the Beer Tabernaculum clearly in the background at memorial stand, and MUM with scoreboard at the Aquinas end.
Attachments
MUM and HWM.jpg
MUM and HWM.jpg (234.4 KiB) Viewed 680 times
P1200667c.JPG
P1200667c.JPG (157.33 KiB) Viewed 680 times
I'm not arguing -