Ulster v Leinster Saturday March 12th 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1 & TG4

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Ulster v Leinster Saturday March 12th 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 1 & TG4

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

WestDr wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:15 am Interested to note from AMcK's 2nd report that the last team to double Leinster were Dragons in 2014/15....
I think we did them twice in 2012-13 season. Indeed I think we won 5/6 interpros that season, only losing to Munster away from home.

The Nevin Spence effect???? :(

That was the year we "won" the league, but they introduced play-offs and we lost the one that really mattered against Leinster in the final.

We had home advantage for the Final, but due to Ravenspan being redeveloped and not yet up to full capacity, we had to play our home final at Our DS. >threaten

Definitely don't want history repeating itself vis-a-vis Leinster this season.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

If it is indeed the scarlets mstch, thst im thinking of (and frankly who can tell, what with that sort of weather being fairly typical back then) it was the rain and the wind.
By the end, it was horizontal. Only time ive seen a 3/4 line spread across the field standing facing their own goal line glancing over their shoulders at play.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Beginning to think the horizontal rain game was not that scarlets game. 2007 seems too recent. And i don't think it was a HEC game. My memory is also that Ulster won, but by the time the ref blew the whistle, nobody could have cared less.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:40 am
WestDr wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:15 am Interested to note from AMcK's 2nd report that the last team to double Leinster were Dragons in 2014/15....
I think we did them twice in 2012-13 season. Indeed I think we won 5/6 interpros that season, only losing to Munster away from home.

The Nevin Spence effect???? :(

That was the year we "won" the league, but they introduced play-offs and we lost the one that really mattered against Leinster in the final.

We had home advantage for the Final, but due to Ravenspan being redeveloped and not yet up to full capacity, we had to play our home final at Our DS. >threaten

Definitely don't want history repeating itself vis-a-vis Leinster this season.
Does the top team pick the final venue this year like they used to do a few years ago? Giving the final to Leinster that year was the ultimate sickener.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Is it not the case that if we and leinster progress in Europe we end up with a semi final in Ireland? As ulster are highest seeds we get to nominate a ground, guess where that will be?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

jean valjean wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:39 am Is it not the case that if we and leinster progress in Europe we end up with a semi final in Ireland? As ulster are highest seeds we get to nominate a ground, guess where that will be?
What is the capacity criterium?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

big mervyn wrote:
jean valjean wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:39 am Is it not the case that if we and leinster progress in Europe we end up with a semi final in Ireland? As ulster are highest seeds we get to nominate a ground, guess where that will be?
What is the capacity criterium?
Not sure. We aren't allowed to nominate ravenhill and i reckon there is no chance the IRFU will allow anything else but the Aviva. We could go for thomond but that would likely hit our support numbers.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

It’ll 100%% be a viva for euro but I’m talking about a potential league final. Has a final city been nominated or does it just go to the top seeds pick?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

HammerTime wrote:
It’ll 100%% be a viva for euro but I’m talking about a potential league final. Has a final city been nominated or does it just go to the top seeds pick?
It's home ground advantage till the final based on seedings. The urc decide the final location.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:46 am If it is indeed the scarlets mstch, thst im thinking of (and frankly who can tell, what with that sort of weather being fairly typical back then) it was the rain and the wind.
:lol:

Nice try BR. >flog

So how come if it was so typical, we still pick it and a couple of others out as so memorable and thus worse than all the rest? :D
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Back in time most of the crowd were standing with out any cover or shelter thus got a full 100 % of both wind and rain

I remember once coming home and it took 3 days for my coat to dry and return to its normal weight
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
10 or 15 only
Initiate

Post by 10 or 15 only »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:50 pm Back in time most of the crowd were standing with out any cover or shelter thus got a full 100 % of both wind and rain

I remember once coming home and it took 3 days for my coat to dry and return to its normal weight
Should have hung it up inside. It helps! :duck:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:24 pm
BR wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:46 am If it is indeed the scarlets mstch, thst im thinking of (and frankly who can tell, what with that sort of weather being fairly typical back then) it was the rain and the wind.
:lol:

Nice try BR. >flog

So how come if it was so typical, we still pick it and a couple of others out as so memorable and thus worse than all the rest? :D
Sure there were so many we can't even pick them out individually any more - but I remember the Glouscarlequins was definitely the worst - except maybe for that other one.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

HammerTime wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:26 am
Consistent with URC policy, the final venue will be determined by a complex formula governed the birth sign of the penultimate front row replacement (non-HIA) to score an unconverted try in the pool stages of the regular season (not including 'shield' matches) multiplied by the number of errors they have made publishing the league table on their web page/app/social media accounts during the season.

The final venue will be communicated (incorrectly) at least 4 hours before kick-off (subject to time differences).
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

For me it was the scarlets European match where Ulster played with the wind in first half and faced the gale of horizontal sleet in the second which built up on my collar and melted down my back.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist