Changed times

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Changed times

Post by big mervyn »

Gavin Hastings was lionized for this:

https://youtu.be/U8qYm3JZtJo

Fast forward 30 years and big Van der Merwe gets red carded.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Changed times

Post by jean valjean »

Actually think Hastings didn't do anything wrong even under todays laws. He didn't strike with the forearm like VDM did, and only extended his arm after the hit as a shove off. The tackle on Hastings is probably a yellow as he is lifted beyond the horizontal.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

To my mind a straight arm hand-off is potentially more dangerous than a forearm
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

jean valjean wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:57 am Actually think Hastings didn't do anything wrong even under todays laws. He didn't strike with the forearm like VDM did, and only extended his arm after the hit as a shove off. The tackle on Hastings is probably a yellow as he is lifted beyond the horizontal.
lifting beyond the horizontal isn't the offence, it is how the tackler brings the tackled player back to earth if they have taken them beyond the horizontal that matters. They have a duty of care to do that safely, and if they do, there's no issue.

I would say that yellow would be harsh for that even in today's game as he (Hastings) was able to break his fall with his arm (and yes, I know that's an action by Hastings, not the tackler), and then he was close to horizontal as his full body came to ground, albeit shoulder first (other than the arm).

I've seen yellow given for similar and wouldn't be surprised if yellow was given for similar, but my natural reaction would be that it's not a yellow card offence.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:44 am To my mind a straight arm hand-off is potentially more dangerous than a forearm
Aye, the ball carrier could damage his shoulder. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right