Short Survey of Club Rugby players in Northern Ireland - Win a new rugby jersey!

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Rugby_Research_NI
Novice

Short Survey of Club Rugby players in Northern Ireland - Win a new rugby jersey!

Post by Rugby_Research_NI »

Hi all,

I am a PhD student researching rugby and community relations in Northern Ireland.
The project includes a short anonymous survey of adult club rugby players in Northern Ireland.
If this fits your description then I would be really grateful if you could take 5 minutes to click here and complete it.

Update: Survey is now closed, thanks all who took part
Last edited by Rugby_Research_NI on Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Short Survey of Club Rugby players in Northern Ireland - Win a new rugby jersey!

Post by solidarity »

I've a long standing interest in the relationship between sport and community relations so I'd encourage everyone help this guy or girl with this work.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Short Survey of Club Rugby players in Northern Ireland - Win a new rugby jersey!

Post by big mervyn »

The question: "do you support the Ireland rugby team" needs careful interpretation.

There are some in the North who will answer NO to this, not because of any religious or political persuasion, but because of the FIRFU's disgraceful treatment of Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding, and (for different reasons) of Ruan Pienaar.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Is there a follow up to allow you to say why? Agree that a answer in the negative should not be interpreted in a political sense, as in my opinion very few non ireland supporters are due to a 'ulster is British' viewpoint.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Hi, RRNI, as the two comments here show, your questions are not as straightforward as they might seem from a distance. This forum might be interesting as a place to discuss your ideas.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

RRNI, do you play in a club team yourself ?

Um, just reading the preamble, what is an 'integrated rugby union team' ? Is this a statement you would use for rugby union teams in Limerick clubs such as Garryowen or Shannon ? Or does this show an inherent authorial presumption around the identity of those who play the game in Ulster and how they interact with their team mates and with players in other clubs ? Are these 'integrated rugby union clubs' only found in Northern Ireland (not even in Virginia or Letterkenny - both of whom regularly appear at half-time at Ravenhill), and it is only in other places, whether England, France, Wales, Australia or elsewhere, that no one ever thinks about anything about their team mates except for are we good enough to beat the opposition ? And can they hold their beer.....? Grrr....

Tbh I'd remove the word 'integrated' from everywhere in your survey, and I think you'll find it makes no difference to what you're seeking to find out. Although I would have my suspicions that your current text implies a pre-conceived position. Which you hope to either confirm or (amazingly) disprove.....
Last edited by WestDr on Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Where are you from? Bit weird if a dub is doing research on the nordie freaks, are the prods and cafflicks getting on routine bla bla bla...

A more interesting topic: does the provincial model reinforce the distribution of wealth/poverty divide in Ireland????
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rugby_Research_NI
Novice

big mervyn wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:39 am The question: "do you support the Ireland rugby team" needs careful interpretation.

There are some in the North who will answer NO to this, not because of any religious or political persuasion, but because of the FIRFU's disgraceful treatment of Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding, and (for different reasons) of Ruan Pienaar.
That's a very good point, thanks. I will certainly take account of that when moving to the interview stage.
Rugby_Research_NI
Novice

jean valjean wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:07 pm Is there a follow up to allow you to say why? Agree that a answer in the negative should not be interpreted in a political sense, as in my opinion very few non ireland supporters are due to a 'ulster is British' viewpoint.
Thanks for your comment. Yes there certainly is a follow up interview stage planned, and the survey questions themselves won't be analysed on face value without greater clarification through interview.
Rugby_Research_NI
Novice

WestDr wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:31 pm RRNI, do you play in a club team yourself ?

Um, just reading the preamble, what is an 'integrated rugby union team' ? Is this a statement you would use for rugby union teams in Limerick clubs such as Garryowen or Shannon ? Or does this show an inherent authorial presumption around the identity of those who play the game in Ulster and how they interact with their team mates and with players in other clubs ? Are these 'integrated rugby union clubs' only found in Northern Ireland (not even in Virginia or Letterkenny - both of whom regularly appear at half-time at Ravenhill), and it is only in other places, whether England, France, Wales, Australia or elsewhere, that no one ever thinks about anything about their team mates except for are we good enough to beat the opposition ? And can they hold their beer.....? Grrr....

Tbh I'd remove the word 'integrated' from everywhere in your survey, and I think you'll find it makes no difference to what you're seeking to find out. Although I would have my suspicions that your current text implies a pre-conceived position. Which you hope to either confirm or (amazingly) disprove.....
I see your point, and I do admit that the term 'integrated' is a bit of a theoretical construct that doesn't really have a bearing outside the current research question. There is no preconceived presumption about the identity of those who play the game in Ulster, but the survey is intended to help paint a picture of how respondents do identify.
Rugby_Research_NI
Novice

Dave wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:03 pm Where are you from? Bit weird if a dub is doing research on the nordie freaks, are the prods and cafflicks getting on routine bla bla bla...

A more interesting topic: does the provincial model reinforce the distribution of wealth/poverty divide in Ireland????
Hi Dave,
I understand your apprehension. For what it's worth I'm from a border county myself and lived and went to college in Northern Ireland for a couple of years. So I might be a bit of peripheral / blow-in rather than total outsider. But still I get your point. Interesting point too about the provincial model and the distribution of wealth in Ireland. I can't really change my current research project at this stage, but would still be interested to hear some more of your thoughts on that.
Thanks
Rugby_Research_NI
Novice

solidarity wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:56 pm I've a long standing interest in the relationship between sport and community relations so I'd encourage everyone help this guy or girl with this work.
Thanks, I appreciate that