Scrum time

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Scrum time

Post by rumncoke »

Scrummaging it is the duty of the referee to see that the scrum is completed safely, that the team guilty of disrupting the scrum are penalised

On saturday few scrums were completed without a penalty being awarded -- why for the simple reason the team disrupting the scrum was being rewarded -- on the basis that it was being assumed they were the more powerful pack .

If you reward foul play it is guaranteed it will be repeated and in being repeated every scrum is made more dangerous for those in the scrum.

No team when being penalised continues to repeat foul play at every scrum .

It is the duty of the referee to ensure scrummaging is safe and in this regard the Referee failed and had any players been injured could have been found legally responsible.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Scrum time

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:51 am Scrummaging it is the duty of the referee to see that the scrum is completed safely, that the team guilty of disrupting the scrum are penalised

On saturday few scrums were completed without a penalty being awarded -- why for the simple reason the team disrupting the scrum was being rewarded -- on the basis that it was being assumed they were the more powerful pack .

If you reward foul play it is guaranteed it will be repeated and in being repeated every scrum is made more dangerous for those in the scrum.

It is the duty of the referee to ensure scrummaging is safe and in this regard the Referee failed and had any players been injured could have been found legally responsible.
The "blind side" assistant ref should step into the field of play at scrummage time.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

If you are talking about the England game I got the impression our captain didn't communicate quickly enough what was going on.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:56 am
rumncoke wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:51 am Scrummaging it is the duty of the referee to see that the scrum is completed safely, that the team guilty of disrupting the scrum are penalised

The "blind side" assistant ref should step into the field of play at scrummage time.
Mike Adamson was one of the assistant referees yesterday. Enough said.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

The overhead shot of the scrum after england's first penalty clearly shows the loose head boring in. I could've parked my car in the gap between the loosie and the hooker.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Our old friend Matt Williams explains all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkO0hTp1KBY
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:02 pm Our old friend Matt Williams explains all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkO0hTp1KBY
Looks pretty clear to me - some 'dark arts' and some poor refereeing. Summed up well by Williams, 'Was it legal? No. Was it smart? Absolutely.'
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:32 am The overhead shot of the scrum after england's first penalty clearly shows the loose head boring in. I could've parked my car in the gap between the loosie and the hooker.
Does the TMO have access to that camera? If so wtf was he doing?

The downside of this for Eddie is that he wasted all his dark arts on a match they were destined to lose. Should have kept his powder dry for a game that mattered. That front row is going to be under intense scrutiny next week.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It was a french ref

I expect much the same next week

That not one scrum gets finished with the ball out the back .

But you have to love Eddies little bit of salt

Why wasn't someone not carded with six scrum penalties .
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It was a french ref

I expect much the same next week

That not one scrum gets finished with the ball out the back .

But you have to love Eddies little bit of salt

Why wasn't someone not carded with six scrum penalties .
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Jackman says that the picture is basically the result of a poor set-up by Ireland and CH and DS being taken to the cleaners.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Ireland had four problems - the English scrum was totally illegal almost every time, the French ref got it almost entirely wrong, Dan Sheehan is a (relatively) lightweight scrummager, and Tadgh Beirne is a lightweight lock. So, when Ryan went off, even though Hendy is a good scrummaging lock, with Beirne and Sheehan there, Ireland were always going to struggle. our first choice scrum - Porter, Kelleher (or Herring), Furlong, Henderson, Ryan would have sorted it out without any problem
Bo***cks to Brexit
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

mid ulster maestro wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:32 am The overhead shot of the scrum after england's first penalty clearly shows the loose head boring in. I could've parked my car in the gap between the loosie and the hooker.
Have you changed yer car?

Thon was a pretty big Merc you had last time I saw you. Their front row must have arms like orangutans ....

:duh:

The penny's just dropped.

As you were MUM. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Big Neville Southall
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Have to admire Rory's restraint during the match commentary when asked what the problem was with the Irish scrum. He praised the strength of the english instead of calling them a shower of cheating baskets. Sadly the ref was the only one who wasn't aware of what was going on.