Jake Flannery

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

wanderer
Novice

Jake Flannery

Post by wanderer »

Jake Flannery rumoured by Jackman to be moving to Ulster.
Very classy in the Grand Slam U20 team but had a long injury after that and now in a log jam with Carbery, Healy (his U20 year) and Crowley (the next U20) year.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Re: Jake Flannery

Post by HammerTime »

On a slightly different topic, Jackman also said 3 out of the 4 provinces are having 1 million each wiped off their budgets next year. Anybody have any more details on that?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Started at full back during the U20 Grand Slam campaign in 2019, Harry Byrne was the starting out half with Ben Healy on the bench during the 6N.

He became the primary choice at out half that season when Byrne was injured for the U20 World Championships.

Serious out half talent in that 2019 U20 class.

It will be interesting if he does sign whether he'll be given opportunities at out half or full back.

It's a great signing if it does come to fruition. He's widely touted to be an international quality out half if he hits his ceiling. Does he think he has a better chance of doing that playing in our backline over Munsters.... I dare say he does.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Started at full back during the U20 Grand Slam campaign in 2019, Harry Byrne was the starting out half with Ben Healy on the bench during the 6N.

He became the primary choice at out half that season when Byrne was injured for the U20 World Championships.

It will be interesting if he does sign whether he'll be given opportunities at out half or full back.

It's a great signing if it does come to fruition. He's widely touted to be an international quality out half if he hits his ceiling. Does he think he has a better chance of doing that playing in our backline over Munsters.... I dare say he does.
I think he might just want to play for a better team. Lowry, Baloucoune, Stockdale, Hume, Big Stu etc or Zebo???
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:25 am
UlsterNo9 wrote:Started at full back during the U20 Grand Slam campaign in 2019, Harry Byrne was the starting out half with Ben Healy on the bench during the 6N.

I think he might just want to play for a better team. Lowry, Baloucoune, Stockdale, Hume, Big Stu etc or Zebo???
If that's not what I said that's what I was trying to say, but it's more than that, it's our style of play, it's heads up play what's in front of you and express yourself. Would also argue that we're one of the best coached teams in the league, with a now proven record for giving young lads game time and developing them.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

HammerTime wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:43 pm On a slightly different topic, Jackman also said 3 out of the 4 provinces are having 1 million each wiped off their budgets next year. Anybody have any more details on that?
Could be why Leinster have released a few.

I wonder does the money JP pumps into Munster sit outside this? Believe Sextons wage is covered externally also.
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

When I see a one year deal for a 22 year old it may be for one of two reasons

First the young man is possibly coming to continue his education ( one year course )

Or he wants to test the water before signing a longer contract

In both instances the players expectation for his intended stay is not one were a weekly appearance on the team sheet is the prime objective during his stay .

In the first study is prime in the second a change in coaching and assessing the possibilities .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

Can someone remind me did we not sign a young outhalf from Munster a couple of years ago? What happened to him
Dura lex sed lex
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Thelaw wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:36 pm Can someone remind me did we not sign a young outhalf from Munster a couple of years ago? What happened to him
Bill Johnston. He moved to Ealing.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

damianmcr wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:41 pm
Thelaw wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:36 pm Can someone remind me did we not sign a young outhalf from Munster a couple of years ago? What happened to him
Always liked Bill, for a 3rd / 4th choice out half during his time here it was never a case that you were watching him with your eyes covered, as we have been in the not to distant past with supposed more established out halves.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:38 pm
Always liked Bill, for a 3rd / 4th choice out half during his time here it was never a case that you were watching him with your eyes covered, as we have been in the not to distant past with supposed more established out halves.
I'd a quick look at Ealing teamsheets and unless he's injured he doesnt get selected.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

damianmcr wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:00 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:38 pm
I'd a quick look at Ealing teamsheets and unless he's injured he doesnt get selected.
So he does get selected when he is injured? :scratch:

Sounds like an Ealing Comedy to me.

His nickname isn't Barnacle Bill Johnston is it? :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Jake is on the bench for Munster tomorrow night.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I wonder what he will think of the bench at Ravenhill.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?