League Run In (Predictions)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: League Run In (Predictions)

Post by Big-al »

You are correct. Basically Ulster need to finish 7th or higher I think, as 8 teams qualify, top team from each country and then next 4.

Because no Welsh are currently in top 8, that leaves us having to finish 7th or better.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I had this weekend down for a defeat some time ago - really hope I’m wrong.

We’ve a reasonable chance of finishing above Glasgow, given their trips to the Bulls and to Edinburgh.
d4surfer
Novice

Post by d4surfer »

The bookies have both Edinburgh and Ulster at even money.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

justinr73 wrote:I had this weekend down for a defeat some time ago - really hope I’m wrong.

We’ve a reasonable chance of finishing above Glasgow, given their trips to the Bulls and to Edinburgh.
Bit pessimistic myself considering our form, we used our get out of jail card against endinburgh in the semi final the other year. Edinburgh are playing some good stuff and will be gunning for us. The last 2 weeks have drained the team and unless we find some energy and spark the season may fade out. In saying that I live in eternal hope that 2 wins gives us 2nd place with the scarlets doing us a favour against the stormers in the last game.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Fade out? More like went off the cliff edge.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

As expected Bulls picked up bonus point to leap frog ourselves, importantly deny Glasgow any bonus points.

Munster 7 Cardiff 14 after 18 minutes..... blow it up now ref!
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I think it's important to nail a home QF place. There would be a potential nasty SA away day if not.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

We are now in danger of finishing 7 or 8 in a 16 club league with 2 Italian teams who can hardly Fuels a team during the 6 Nations, and 4 Welsh teams struggling with 6 Nations and Covid. Not good enough.
Heads must roll!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Or indeed 9th.

One could argue that the fact that it’s all so close is a feather in the cap of the competition.

It certainly makes the incompetent/crooked call by Mr Immelman all the more crucial.

Players get banned for weeks for poor tackle technique yet that clown was allowed to carry on with impunity.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:23 am Or indeed 9th.

One could argue that the fact that it’s all so close is a feather in the cap of the competition.

It certainly makes the incompetent/crooked call by Mr Immelman all the more crucial.

Players get banned for weeks for poor tackle technique yet that clown was allowed to carry on with impunity.
+1
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

For many or at least my mates the lowest point in Ulster rugby on the pitch in recent times was the 17/18 season and the playoff against Ospreys.

Well here's the cold facts. We lost 7 of our 21 league games that season. We've now lost 6 of 16 in the current campaign. We won 4 of our 6 games in Europe in 17/18, we've won 5 from 6 this campaign.

The stats don't lie.... or do they?

We certainly play a nice brand of rugby at the moment, very nice on the eye, we scored 538 points in the league in 17/18 a 25.61 average. This season to date in the league we've scored an average of 23.25 per game.

BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

One of our main failings for many years has been our inability to change the game plan during a game.
Whenever a defence has worked out how to contain us, we just continue to batter away, doing the same sh1te over and over again, until our heads drop and morale disappears.
Either smarter players needed or the coaches need to micro manage the game from the touchline (which, btw is not a good thing).
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:For many or at least my mates the lowest point in Ulster rugby on the pitch in recent times was the 17/18 season and the playoff against Ospreys.

Well here's the cold facts. We lost 7 of our 21 league games that season. We've now lost 6 of 16 in the current campaign. We won 4 of our 6 games in Europe in 17/18, we've won 5 from 6 this campaign.

We certainly play a nice brand of rugby at the moment, very nice on the eye, we scored 538 points in the league in 17/18 a 25.61 average. This season to date in the league we've scored an average of 23.25 per game.

A probably a bit of an easier league in those days as the SA teams were poor. We conceded a lot of points. We conceded 482 points. Just 266 conceded thus far. We ended up 4th in our 7 team conference.

Them stats are lying bastids or aren't they not?

I have no mates.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

StandUp wrote:One of our main failings for many years has been our inability to change the game plan during a game.
Whenever a defence has worked out how to contain us, we just continue to batter away, doing the same sh1te over and over again, until our heads drop and morale disappears.
Either smarter players needed or the coaches need to micro manage the game from the touchline (which, btw is not a good thing).
We truck it up the middle and if that doesn't work its box kick time.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Slow box kicks are useless.

No point standing watching the ball for 10 seconds until the opposition are in place to catch. FFS, speed it up before they set.